Обсуждение: casting between range types

casting between range types

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
At one point, the question of casting between range types came up. At
first, this seemed like a fairly reasonable suggestion, but now I don't
think I like the semantics.

A normal cast changes between essentially equivalent values in different
domains. For instance 3 as an int4 is equivalent to 3.0 as a numeric.

However, if we take the simple approach with range types and cast the
bounds, we end up with some weird situations.

First, a range is really a set. So if we take '[1,10)'::int4range and
cast that to numrange, we end up moving from a set of exactly 9 elements
to a set of an infinite number of elements. Going the other way is
probably worse.

Sometimes casts are a bit "lossy" and I suppose we could write that off.

But things get weirder when the total order is different (e.g. different
text collations). Then you end up with a completely different set of
values, which doesn't sound like a cast to me at all.

So, I'm leaning toward just not providing any casts from one range type
to another.

Thoughts?

RegardsJeff Davis

Re: casting between range types

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 31.08.2011 09:14, Jeff Davis wrote:
> At one point, the question of casting between range types came up. At
> first, this seemed like a fairly reasonable suggestion, but now I don't
> think I like the semantics.
>
> A normal cast changes between essentially equivalent values in different
> domains. For instance 3 as an int4 is equivalent to 3.0 as a numeric.
>
> However, if we take the simple approach with range types and cast the
> bounds, we end up with some weird situations.
>
> First, a range is really a set. So if we take '[1,10)'::int4range and
> cast that to numrange, we end up moving from a set of exactly 9 elements
> to a set of an infinite number of elements. Going the other way is
> probably worse.
>
> Sometimes casts are a bit "lossy" and I suppose we could write that off.
>
> But things get weirder when the total order is different (e.g. different
> text collations). Then you end up with a completely different set of
> values, which doesn't sound like a cast to me at all.
>
> So, I'm leaning toward just not providing any casts from one range type
> to another.

Can you only provide casts that make sense, like between int4 and
numeric range types, and leave out the ones that don't?

Re: casting between range types

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 09:20 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 31.08.2011 09:14, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > First, a range is really a set. So if we take '[1,10)'::int4range and
> > cast that to numrange, we end up moving from a set of exactly 9 elements
> > to a set of an infinite number of elements. Going the other way is
> > probably worse.

> Can you only provide casts that make sense, like between int4 and
> numeric range types, and leave out the ones that don't?

There are certainly some casts that make sense, like
int4range->int8range. Do you think int4range->numrange also makes sense?

Regards,Jeff Davis

Re: casting between range types

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 31.08.2011 18:09, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 09:20 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 31.08.2011 09:14, Jeff Davis wrote:
>>> First, a range is really a set. So if we take '[1,10)'::int4range and
>>> cast that to numrange, we end up moving from a set of exactly 9 elements
>>> to a set of an infinite number of elements. Going the other way is
>>> probably worse.

>> Can you only provide casts that make sense, like between int4 and
>> numeric range types, and leave out the ones that don't?
>
> There are certainly some casts that make sense, like
> int4range->int8range. Do you think int4range->numrange also makes sense?

Not sure. It depends on whether you think of '[1,8]'::int4range as a
finite set of the integers between 1 and 8, or as a continuous range
from 1 to 8. I don't see harm in providing explicit casts like that, but
I would be very conservative with implicit and assignment casts.

Re: casting between range types

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 31.08.2011 18:09, Jeff Davis wrote:

>>> Can you only provide casts that make sense, like between int4 and
>>> numeric range types, and leave out the ones that don't?
>>
>> There are certainly some casts that make sense, like
>> int4range->int8range. Do you think int4range->numrange also makes sense?
>
> Not sure. It depends on whether you think of '[1,8]'::int4range as a finite
> set of the integers between 1 and 8, or as a continuous range from 1 to 8. I
> don't see harm in providing explicit casts like that, but I would be very
> conservative with implicit and assignment casts.

+1 for that approach.  It's really annoying when you can't explicitly
cast between data types, and it might be that you just allow coercion
via I/O functions since it's unlikely to be a performance-critical
operation.  But I can't see why you would want any implicit or
assignment casts at all.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company