Обсуждение: dropdb and dropuser: IF EXISTS

dropdb and dropuser: IF EXISTS

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
I noticed a few places where it would be handy if dropdb took a flag
like "--if-exists" which would basically just add in the 'IF EXISTS'
clause to the DROP DATABASE statement. For example, scripts like
find_static or mbregress.sh use dropdb && createdb, but they generate
noisy errors from dropdb when run for the first time since there's no
--if-exists flag. (They could just pipe 'DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS ...'
to psql, but what's the point of having dropdb if it's not used?)

Attached is a very quick patch implementing the "--if-exists" or "-X"
option for dropdb and dropuser. I didn't bother adding in a check to
make sure the server version was 8.2+ since we're not even supporting
8.1 nowadays, though that'd be easy enough to add in.

Josh

Вложения

Re: dropdb and dropuser: IF EXISTS

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed a few places where it would be handy if dropdb took a flag
> like "--if-exists" which would basically just add in the 'IF EXISTS'
> clause to the DROP DATABASE statement. For example, scripts like
> find_static or mbregress.sh use dropdb && createdb, but they generate
> noisy errors from dropdb when run for the first time since there's no
> --if-exists flag. (They could just pipe 'DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS ...'
> to psql, but what's the point of having dropdb if it's not used?)
>
> Attached is a very quick patch implementing the "--if-exists" or "-X"
> option for dropdb and dropuser. I didn't bother adding in a check to
> make sure the server version was 8.2+ since we're not even supporting
> 8.1 nowadays, though that'd be easy enough to add in.

+1 for --if-exists, but -X isn't doing a lot for me, especially since
we've used -X for other purposes in other commands.  I'd just skip
having a short form for this one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: dropdb and dropuser: IF EXISTS

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for --if-exists, but -X isn't doing a lot for me, especially since
> we've used -X for other purposes in other commands.  I'd just skip
> having a short form for this one.

Fine by me. Updated patch attached.

Josh

Вложения

Re: dropdb and dropuser: IF EXISTS

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 for --if-exists, but -X isn't doing a lot for me, especially since
>> we've used -X for other purposes in other commands.  I'd just skip
>> having a short form for this one.
>
> Fine by me. Updated patch attached.

Committed with some edits.  I stole the documentation language from
the DROP DATABASE and DROP USER pages and just copied it over, instead
of saying the same thing in different words.  And I rearranged the
options handling to be more consistent with what we do elsewhere.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: dropdb and dropuser: IF EXISTS

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Committed with some edits.  I stole the documentation language from
> the DROP DATABASE and DROP USER pages and just copied it over, instead
> of saying the same thing in different words.  And I rearranged the
> options handling to be more consistent with what we do elsewhere.

Thanks. I think you accidentally copied the DROP DATABASE snippet into
dropuser.sgml as well.

Josh

Re: dropdb and dropuser: IF EXISTS

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Committed with some edits.  I stole the documentation language from
>> the DROP DATABASE and DROP USER pages and just copied it over, instead
>> of saying the same thing in different words.  And I rearranged the
>> options handling to be more consistent with what we do elsewhere.
>
> Thanks. I think you accidentally copied the DROP DATABASE snippet into
> dropuser.sgml as well.

D'oh.  Fixed.