Обсуждение: Introduction

Introduction

От
Shiv
Дата:
Dear pgsql-hackers,<br /> My name is Sivasankar Ramasubramanian (you can call me Shiv). I am one of the students taking
partin this years Google Summer of Code program. I am Indian but I study and live in Singapore (at the National
Universityof Singapore).<br />  On the program I hope to learn as much about professional software engineering
principlesas PostgreSQL. My project is aimed towards extending and hopefully improving upon pgtune. If any of you have

Re: Introduction

От
Daniel Farina
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Shiv <rama.theone@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear pgsql-hackers,
>  My name is Sivasankar Ramasubramanian (you can call me Shiv).

That's an awesome nickname.

> My project is aimed towards extending
> and hopefully improving upon pgtune. If any of you have some ideas or
> thoughts to share. I am all ears!!

That'd be awesome.  Do you not have some ideas in mind?  It seems like
in general it lacks a feedback mechanism to figure things out settings
from workloads, instead relying on Greg Smith's sizable experience to
do some arithmetic and get you off the ground in a number of common
cases.

--
fdr

Re: Introduction

От
Shiv
Дата:
Thank you for your compliment (about the name). Its quite sad though that the word Shiv does not exist in the
Indian-Englishlexicon. So people just think of the God and not of a knife!<br /><br />I do have some ideas and
heuristicsin mind. I wanted to give out a small hello to the community for now. I will write up my ideas/approach
properly,go through a round of feedback and then share it with the community of course. (Just that I have my final
examinationsgoing on now..so I need to wait for the weekend).<br /><br />I will be trying to talk to Greg as well apart
4:44AM, Daniel Farina <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:daniel@heroku.com">daniel@heroku.com</a>></span> wrote:<br
/><blockquoteclass="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div
class="im">OnTue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Shiv <<a
class="im"><br/> > My project is aimed towards extending<br /> > and hopefully improving upon pgtune. If any of
havesome ideas in mind?  It seems like<br /> in general it lacks a feedback mechanism to figure things out settings<br
/>from workloads, instead relying on Greg Smith's sizable experience to<br /> do some arithmetic and get you off the

Re: improvements to pgtune

От
Greg Smith
Shiv wrote:
>  On the program I hope to learn as much about professional software
> engineering principles as PostgreSQL. My project is aimed towards
> extending and hopefully improving upon pgtune. If any of you have some
> ideas or thoughts to share. I am all ears!!

Well, first step on the software engineering side is to get a copy of
the code in a form you can modify.  I'd recommend grabbing it from
https://github.com/gregs1104/pgtune ; while there is a copy of the
program on git.postgresql.org, it's easier to work with the one on
github instead.  I can push updates over to the copy on postgresql.org
easily enough, and that way you don't have to worry about getting an
account on that server.

There's a long list of suggested improvements to make at
https://github.com/gregs1104/pgtune/blob/master/TODO

Where I would recommend getting started is doing some of the small items
on there, some of which I have already put comments into the code about
but just not finished yet.  Some examples:

-Validate against min/max
-Limit shared memory use on Windows (see notes on shared_buffers at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server for more
information)
-Look for postgresql.conf file using PGDATA environment variable
-Look for settings files based on path of the pgtune executable
-Save a settings reference files for newer versions of PostgreSQL (right
now I only target 8.4) and allow passing in the version you're configuring.

A common mistake made by GSOC students is to dive right in to trying to
make big changes.  You'll be more successful if you get practice at
things like preparing and sharing patches on smaller changes first.

At the next level, there are a few larger features that I would consider
valuable that are not really addressed by the program yet:

-Estimate how much shared memory is used by the combination of
settings.  See Table 17-2 at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/kernel-resources.html ; those
numbers aren't perfect, and improving that table is its own useful
project.  But it gives an idea how they fit together.  I have some notes
at the end of the TODO file on how I think the information needed to
produce this needs to be passed around the inside of pgtune.

-Use that estimate to produce a sysctl.conf file for one platform; Linux
is the easiest one to start with.  I've attached a prototype showing how
to do that, written in bash.

-Write a Python-TK or web-based front-end for the program.

Now that I know someone is going to work on this program again, I'll see
what I can do to clean some parts of it up.  There are a couple of
things it's easier for me to just fix rather than to describe, like the
way I really want to change how it adds comments to the settings it changes.

#!/bin/bash

# Output lines suitable for sysctl configuration based
# on total amount of RAM on the system.  The output
# will allow up to 50% of physical memory to be allocated
# into shared memory.

# On Linux, you can use it as follows (as root):
#
# ./shmsetup >> /etc/sysctl.conf
# sysctl -p

# Early FreeBSD versions do not support the sysconf interface
# used here.  The exact version where this works hasn't
# been confirmed yet.

page_size=`getconf PAGE_SIZE`
phys_pages=`getconf _PHYS_PAGES`

if [ -z "$page_size" ]; then
  echo Error:  cannot determine page size
  exit 1
fi

if [ -z "$phys_pages" ]; then
  echo Error:  cannot determine number of memory pages
  exit 2
fi

shmall=`expr $phys_pages / 2`
shmmax=`expr $shmall \* $page_size`

echo \# Maximum shared segment size in bytes
echo kernel.shmmax = $shmmax
echo \# Maximum number of shared memory segments in pages
echo kernel.shmall = $shmall

Re: improvements to pgtune

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Daniel Farina wrote:
> It seems like in general it lacks a feedback mechanism to figure things out settings
> from workloads, instead relying on Greg Smith's sizable experience to
> do some arithmetic and get you off the ground in a number of common cases.

To credit appropriately, the model used right now actually originated
with a Josh Berkus spreadsheet, from before I was doing this sort of
work full-time.  That's held up pretty well, but it doesn't fully
reflect how I do things nowadays.  The recent realization that pgtune is
actually shipping as a package for Debian/Ubuntu now has made realize
this is a much higher profile project now, one that I should revisit
doing a better job on.

Every time I've gotten pulled into discussions of setting parameters
based on live monitoring, it's turned into a giant black hole--absorbs a
lot of energy, nothing useful escapes from it.  I credit completely
ignoring that idea altogether, and using the simplest possible static
settings instead, as one reason I managed to ship code here that people
find useful.  I'm not closed to the idea, just not optimistic it will
lead anywhere useful.  That makes it hard to work on when there are so
many obvious things guaranteed to improve the program that could be done
instead.

Re: improvements to pgtune

От
Joshua Berkus
Дата:
> Every time I've gotten pulled into discussions of setting parameters
> based on live monitoring, it's turned into a giant black hole--absorbs a
> lot of energy, nothing useful escapes from it.  I credit completely
> ignoring that idea altogether, and using the simplest possible static
> settings instead, as one reason I managed to ship code here that people
> find useful.  I'm not closed to the idea, just not optimistic it will
> lead anywhere useful.  That makes it hard to work on when there are so
> many obvious things guaranteed to improve the program that could be done
> instead.

What would you list as the main things pgtune doesn't cover right now?  I have my own list, but I suspect that yours is
somewhatdifferent.

I do think that autotuning based on interrogating the database is possible.  However, I think the way to make it not be
atar baby is to tackle it one setting at a time, and start with ones we have the most information for.  One of the real
challengesthere is that some data can be gleaned from pg_* views, but a *lot* of useful performance data only shows up
inthe activity log, and then only if certain settings are enabled.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: improvements to pgtune

От
Shiv
Дата:
That's some great starting advice there. I have a couple of final exams in the next 36 hours. Will get to work almost
immediatelyafter that.<br />I will definitely take small steps before going for some of the tougher tasks. I would
of-courselike this conversation to go on, so I can see a more comprehensive TODO list.<br /> One of my first tasks on
GSoCis to make sure I create a good project specification document. So there can be definite expectations and targets.
Thu,Apr 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Greg Smith <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:greg@2ndquadrant.com"
.8ex;border-left:1px#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> Shiv wrote:<br /><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
.8ex;border-left:1px#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">  On the program I hope to learn as much about professional software
engineeringprinciples as PostgreSQL. My project is aimed towards extending and hopefully improving upon pgtune. If any
engineeringside is to get a copy of the code in a form you can modify.  I'd recommend grabbing it from <a
href="https://github.com/gregs1104/pgtune"target="_blank">https://github.com/gregs1104/pgtune</a> ; while there is a
copyof the program on <a href="http://git.postgresql.org" target="_blank">git.postgresql.org</a>, it's easier to work
withthe one on github instead.  I can push updates over to the copy on <a href="http://postgresql.org"
target="_blank">postgresql.org</a>easily enough, and that way you don't have to worry about getting an account on that
server.<br/><br /> There's a long list of suggested improvements to make at <a
href="https://github.com/gregs1104/pgtune/blob/master/TODO"
startedis doing some of the small items on there, some of which I have already put comments into the code about but
-Limitshared memory use on Windows (see notes on shared_buffers at <a
href="http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server"
target="_blank">http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server</a>for more information)<br /> -Look for
postgresql.conffile using PGDATA environment variable<br /> -Look for settings files based on path of the pgtune
executable<br/> -Save a settings reference files for newer versions of PostgreSQL (right now I only target 8.4) and
allowpassing in the version you're configuring.<br /><br /> A common mistake made by GSOC students is to dive right in
totrying to make big changes.  You'll be more successful if you get practice at things like preparing and sharing
patcheson smaller changes first.<br /><br /> At the next level, there are a few larger features that I would consider
valuablethat are not really addressed by the program yet:<br /><br /> -Estimate how much shared memory is used by the
combinationof settings.  See Table 17-2 at <a href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/kernel-resources.html"
target="_blank">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/kernel-resources.html</a>; those numbers aren't perfect, and
improvingthat table is its own useful project.  But it gives an idea how they fit together.  I have some notes at the
endof the TODO file on how I think the information needed to produce this needs to be passed around the inside of
pgtune.<br/><br /> -Use that estimate to produce a sysctl.conf file for one platform; Linux is the easiest one to start
with. I've attached a prototype showing how to do that, written in bash.<br /><br /> -Write a Python-TK or web-based
front-endfor the program.<br /><br /> Now that I know someone is going to work on this program again, I'll see what I
cando to clean some parts of it up.  There are a couple of things it's easier for me to just fix rather than to
describe,like the way I really want to change how it adds comments to the settings it changes.<br /><font
Training,Services, and 24x7 Support  <a href="http://www.2ndQuadrant.us" target="_blank">www.2ndQuadrant.us</a><br
totalamount of RAM on the system.  The output<br /> # will allow up to 50% of physical memory to be allocated<br /> #
echo\# Maximum number of shared memory segments in pages<br /> echo kernel.shmall = $shmall<br /><br

Re: improvements to pgtune

От
Shiv
Дата:
Hi Greg,
 So my exams are over now and am fully committed to the project in terms of time. I have started compiling a sort of personal todo for myself. I agree with your advice to start the project with small steps first. (I have a copy of the code and am trying to glean as much of it as I can)
 I would really appreciate your reply to Josh's thoughts. It would help me understand the variety of tasks and a possible ordering for me to attempt them.
Josh's comments : "What would you list as the main things pgtune doesn't cover right now?  I have my own list, but I suspect that yours is somewhat different.

I do think that autotuning based on interrogating the database is possible.  However, I think the way to make it not be a tar baby is to tackle it one setting at a time, and start with ones we have the most information for.  One of the real challenges there is that some data can be gleaned from pg_* views, but a *lot* of useful performance data only shows up in the activity log, and then only if certain settings are enabled."
Regards,
Shiv

That's some great starting advice there. I have a couple of final exams in the next 36 hours. Will get to work almost immediately after that.
I will definitely take small steps before going for some of the tougher tasks. I would of-course like this conversation to go on, so I can see a more comprehensive TODO list.
One of my first tasks on GSoC is to make sure I create a good project specification document. So there can be definite expectations and targets. This conversation helps me do that!
Regards,
Shiv

 On the program I hope to learn as much about professional software engineering principles as PostgreSQL. My project is aimed towards extending and hopefully improving upon pgtune. If any of you have some ideas or thoughts to share. I am all ears!!

Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@2ndQuadrant.com   Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services, and 24x7 Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us

Shiv wrote:
>  So my exams are over now and am fully committed to the project in
> terms of time. I have started compiling a sort of personal todo for
> myself. I agree with your advice to start the project with small steps
> first. (I have a copy of the code and am trying to glean as much of it
> as I can)

I just fixed a couple of bugs in the program that were easier to correct
than explain.  The code changes have been pushed to the github repo.
I've also revised the output format to be a lot nicer.  There's a UI
shortcut you may find useful too; the program now takes a single input
parameter as the input file, outputting to standard out.

So a sample run might look like this now:

$ ./pgtune postgresql.conf.sample
[old settings]
# pgtune wizard run on 2011-05-08
# Based on 2060728 KB RAM in the server

default_statistics_target = 100
maintenance_work_mem = 120MB
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
effective_cache_size = 1408MB
work_mem = 12MB
wal_buffers = 8MB
checkpoint_segments = 16
shared_buffers = 480MB
max_connections = 80

>  I would really appreciate your reply to Josh's thoughts. It would
> help me understand the variety of tasks and a possible ordering for me
> to attempt them.
> Josh's comments :/ "What would you list as the main things pgtune
> doesn't cover right now?  I have my own list, but I suspect that yours
> is somewhat different./
> /
> /
> /I do think that autotuning based on interrogating the database is
> possible.  However, I think the way to make it not be a tar baby is to
> tackle it one setting at a time, and start with ones we have the most
> information for.  One of the real challenges there is that some data
> can be gleaned from pg_* views, but a *lot* of useful performance data
> only shows up in the activity log, and then only if certain settings
> are enabled."/

I just revised the entire TODO file (which is now TODO.rst, formatted in
ReST markup:  http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html ; test with
"rst2html TODO.rst > TODO.html and look at the result).  It should be
easier to follow the flow of now, and it's organized in approximately
the order I think things need to get finished in.

There are few major areas for expansion that might happen on this
program to choose from.  I was thinking about doing them in this order:

1) Fix the settings validation and limits.  I consider this a good place
to start on hacking the code.  it's really necessary work eventually,
and it's easier to get started with than the other ideas.

2) Improve internals related to tracking things like memory and
connections so they're easier to pass around the program.  Adding a
"platform" class is what I was thinking of.  See the "Estimating shared
memory usage" section of the TODO for more information.  Add PostgreSQL
version as another input to that.

3) Improve the settings model used for existing parameters.  Right now
people have reported that the work_mem settings suggested in particular
are too high for many servers.  Ideas about why that is are in the
TODO.  (This really requires the platform change be done first, or the
code will be too hard to write/maintain)

4) Estimate memory used by the configuration and output sysctl.conf
files.  (Needs platform change too)

5) Add tuning suggestions for new parameters.  The most obvious ideas
all involve adding common logging changes.

6) Create some new UIs for running the program.  A text-based program
that asked questions (a 'wizard') or a GUI program doing the same are
two common suggestions.

The ideas Josh was talking about for interrogating the database for
things are all a long ways off from the current state of the code being
able to support them.  If (1) through (3) here were done, that whole
direction starts with (5) and then runs further that way.  That might be
a valid direction to move next instead of the (4), (6) I've listed
here.  You'd have finished something that taught enough about how the
existing program works to be able to make some more difficult design
decisions about fitting new features into it.

If you really want to get right into live server analysis, there's no
way for that to fit into the current program yet.  And I don't think
you'll get enough practice to see how it would without doing some more
basic work first.  You might as well write something new if that's your
goal, and expect that you may not finish anything useful by the end of
the summer.  If you want to complete a project that results in code that
people absolutely will use, the more boring plan I've outlined goes that
way.  One of the secrets to software development is that ideas for
complicated features rarely result in software that gets released, while
working on simpler programs that don't aim so high leads to software
that ships to the world and finds users.  The only reason pgtune is now
available in packaged form on multiple operating systems is that I
ignored all advice about aiming for a complicated tool and instead wrote
a really simple one.  That was hard enough to finish.

Re: improvements to pgtune

Дата:
FYI, I can help if you need javascript assistance.