Обсуждение: my signature

my signature

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Cédric Villemain
<cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, Please don't add confusion to your signature : PostgreSQL is a
> community project not an enterprise product.
> --
> Cédric Villemain               2ndQuadrant
> http://2ndQuadrant.fr/     PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support

Uh, whoa.  That came out of nowhere for me.  I have been using this
signature for about a year, and nobody's said anything about it
before.  "The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company" is our corporate slogan,
and at least three of us have it in our signature for that reason,
much as (or so I gather) "PostgreSQL: Support, Training, and Services"
is 2ndQuadrant's tagline (with some variations depending on the
primary language of the person posting), and "The PostgreSQL Company -
Command Prompt, Inc." is CommandPrompt's tag line.  Any of those
slogans - and *especially* CommandPrompt's - could be taken to imply
that one of those companies is the primary driving force behind
PostgreSQL, but in fact - as we are all aware - no one company
dominates the market for PostgreSQL products and services, or controls
its development.

Someone from another community could be forgiven for thinking that any
of those taglines intend to imply that the associated company occupies
the same position with respect to PostgreSQL that 10gen has with
respect to MongoDB, but I don't see that any one of them is
exponentially more egregious than any of the others.

Heck, even the name "PostgreSQL Experts, Inc." could be taken to imply
that the rest of us are all chumps.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: my signature

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Apr 21, 2011, at 10:06 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> Heck, even the name "PostgreSQL Experts, Inc." could be taken to imply
> that the rest of us are all chumps.

Send me your résumé, we’ll talk.

Best,

David

Re: my signature

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 04/21/2011 01:06 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> Heck, even the name "PostgreSQL Experts, Inc." could be taken to imply
> that the rest of us are all chumps.

Not really. We don't claim to have all of them (yet). EDB on the other
hand uses the definite article in its slogan, as does CommandPrompt.

Seriously, though, this is really a non-issue. Let's move on.

cheers

andrew

Re: my signature

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Cédric Villemain
> <cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert, Please don't add confusion to your signature : PostgreSQL is a
>> community project not an enterprise product.
>> --
>> Cédric Villemain               2ndQuadrant
>> http://2ndQuadrant.fr/     PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support
>
> Uh, whoa.  That came out of nowhere for me.  I have been using this
> signature for about a year, and nobody's said anything about it
> before.  "The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company" is our corporate slogan,
> and at least three of us have it in our signature for that reason,
> much as (or so I gather) "PostgreSQL: Support, Training, and Services"
> is 2ndQuadrant's tagline (with some variations depending on the
> primary language of the person posting), and "The PostgreSQL Company -
> Command Prompt, Inc." is CommandPrompt's tag line.  Any of those
> slogans - and *especially* CommandPrompt's - could be taken to imply
> that one of those companies is the primary driving force behind
> PostgreSQL, but in fact - as we are all aware - no one company
> dominates the market for PostgreSQL products and services, or controls
> its development.
>
> Someone from another community could be forgiven for thinking that any
> of those taglines intend to imply that the associated company occupies
> the same position with respect to PostgreSQL that 10gen has with
> respect to MongoDB, but I don't see that any one of them is
> exponentially more egregious than any of the others.
>
> Heck, even the name "PostgreSQL Experts, Inc." could be taken to imply
> that the rest of us are all chumps.

Actually, I found it unprofessional as well.

Merlin Moncure
Resident PostgreSQL Badass

Re: my signature

Дата:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM, C?dric Villemain
> > <cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Robert, Please don't add confusion to your signature : PostgreSQL is a
> >> community project not an enterprise product.
> >> --
> >> C?dric Villemain? ? ? ? ? ? ?? 2ndQuadrant
> >> http://2ndQuadrant.fr/? ?? PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support
> >
> > Uh, whoa. ?That came out of nowhere for me. ?I have been using this
> > signature for about a year, and nobody's said anything about it
> > before. ?"The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company" is our corporate slogan,
> > and at least three of us have it in our signature for that reason,
> > much as (or so I gather) "PostgreSQL: Support, Training, and Services"
> > is 2ndQuadrant's tagline (with some variations depending on the
> > primary language of the person posting), and "The PostgreSQL Company -
> > Command Prompt, Inc." is CommandPrompt's tag line. ?Any of those
> > slogans - and *especially* CommandPrompt's - could be taken to imply
> > that one of those companies is the primary driving force behind
> > PostgreSQL, but in fact - as we are all aware - no one company
> > dominates the market for PostgreSQL products and services, or controls
> > its development.
> >
> > Someone from another community could be forgiven for thinking that any
> > of those taglines intend to imply that the associated company occupies
> > the same position with respect to PostgreSQL that 10gen has with
> > respect to MongoDB, but I don't see that any one of them is
> > exponentially more egregious than any of the others.
> >
> > Heck, even the name "PostgreSQL Experts, Inc." could be taken to imply
> > that the rest of us are all chumps.
>
> Actually, I found it unprofessional as well.
>
> Merlin Moncure
> Resident PostgreSQL Badass

"Postgres Enterprise Badass Expert Services Company"  ;-)

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: my signature

Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Uh, whoa. ?That came out of nowhere for me. ?I have been using this
> > > signature for about a year, and nobody's said anything about it
> > > before. ?"The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company" is our corporate slogan,
> > > and at least three of us have it in our signature for that reason,
> > > much as (or so I gather) "PostgreSQL: Support, Training, and Services"
> > > is 2ndQuadrant's tagline (with some variations depending on the
> > > primary language of the person posting), and "The PostgreSQL Company -
> > > Command Prompt, Inc." is CommandPrompt's tag line. ?Any of those
> > > slogans - and *especially* CommandPrompt's - could be taken to imply
> > > that one of those companies is the primary driving force behind
> > > PostgreSQL, but in fact - as we are all aware - no one company
> > > dominates the market for PostgreSQL products and services, or controls
> > > its development.
> > >
> > > Someone from another community could be forgiven for thinking that any
> > > of those taglines intend to imply that the associated company occupies
> > > the same position with respect to PostgreSQL that 10gen has with
> > > respect to MongoDB, but I don't see that any one of them is
> > > exponentially more egregious than any of the others.
> > >
> > > Heck, even the name "PostgreSQL Experts, Inc." could be taken to imply
> > > that the rest of us are all chumps.
> >
> > Actually, I found it unprofessional as well.
> >
> > Merlin Moncure
> > Resident PostgreSQL Badass
>
> "Postgres Enterprise Badass Expert Services Company"  ;-)

Oops, I forgot the "the":
The Postgres Enterprise Badass Expert Services Company

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: my signature

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le 21 avril 2011 20:17, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> a écrit :

> On 04/21/2011 01:06 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> Heck, even the name "PostgreSQL Experts, Inc." could be taken to imply
>> that the rest of us are all chumps.
>>

> Not really. We don't claim to have all of them (yet). EDB on the other hand
> uses the definite article in its slogan, as does CommandPrompt.
>
> Seriously, though, this is really a non-issue. Let's move on.

Yes, please.
Robert, it wasn't well phrased and I apologize for the bad choice of my words.

> cheers
>
> andrew

Re: my signature

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Cédric Villemain
<cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, please.
> Robert, it wasn't well phrased and I apologize for the bad choice of my words.

No problem.  Please be assured that I have no desire to make it appear
that EnterpriseDB is the only PostgreSQL company out there.  I've been
using PostgreSQL for far longer than I have been with EnterpriseDB,
far longer than EnterpriseDB has existed, and given that we don't live
in an era of lifetime employment and still have many years of work
ahead of me, it's likely that I will work for lots of other companies
before I retire where I will probably also use (and hopefully continue
to hack on) PostgreSQL.  Of course, for so long as I am working here,
I will be putting my efforts toward making the company as successful
as I can, which I think is what we all do for whoever is paying us at
the moment.  I really like working in an open community that spans
multiple companies, because no company I have ever worked for has had
nearly as many smart people as the PostgreSQL community does, and no
software project that I have ever worked on has been as enjoyable for
me as PostgreSQL is.  I guess it's natural that there will be some
tension since we are all competitors in some sense, but hopefully
friendly ones.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company