Обсуждение: pg_upgrade and PGCLIENTENCODING

pg_upgrade and PGCLIENTENCODING

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
pg_upgrade complains if any of the libpq connection variables are set.
That's probably reasonable by default, but it seems to me that we ought
to allow keeping PGCLIENTENCODING set, otherwise various values and
error messages that are coming from the servers will not be in the
encoding appropriate for the terminal.

Re: pg_upgrade and PGCLIENTENCODING

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> pg_upgrade complains if any of the libpq connection variables are set.
> That's probably reasonable by default, but it seems to me that we ought
> to allow keeping PGCLIENTENCODING set, otherwise various values and
> error messages that are coming from the servers will not be in the
> encoding appropriate for the terminal.

What is the error message?  I don't see pg_upgrade checking
PGCLIENTENCODING.  I do check the cluster encodings.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: pg_upgrade and PGCLIENTENCODING

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2011-03-30 at 15:42 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > pg_upgrade complains if any of the libpq connection variables are set.
> > That's probably reasonable by default, but it seems to me that we ought
> > to allow keeping PGCLIENTENCODING set, otherwise various values and
> > error messages that are coming from the servers will not be in the
> > encoding appropriate for the terminal.
>
> What is the error message?  I don't see pg_upgrade checking
> PGCLIENTENCODING.  I do check the cluster encodings.

It's done via check_for_libpq_envvars().

Actually, this is particular issue is new in 9.1, because the client
encoding wasn't a connection option before.

Re: pg_upgrade and PGCLIENTENCODING

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On ons, 2011-03-30 at 15:42 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > pg_upgrade complains if any of the libpq connection variables are set.
> > > That's probably reasonable by default, but it seems to me that we ought
> > > to allow keeping PGCLIENTENCODING set, otherwise various values and
> > > error messages that are coming from the servers will not be in the
> > > encoding appropriate for the terminal.
> >
> > What is the error message?  I don't see pg_upgrade checking
> > PGCLIENTENCODING.  I do check the cluster encodings.
>
> It's done via check_for_libpq_envvars().
>
> Actually, this is particular issue is new in 9.1, because the client
> encoding wasn't a connection option before.

Oh, we just blanket refuse any variable.  OK.  If you think it is safe,
feel free to apply a patch to skip it, or I can.

http://enterprisedb.com