Обсуждение: alpha5

alpha5

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
Per previous discussion, I'm going to wrap alpha5 Monday morning
Eastern time, barring objections.

This time, I'm going to try to make sure that announcements actually
go out; I dropped the ball on that last time.

If anyone wants to push time zone updates, translation updates, etc.,
I suppose now's the time.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: alpha5

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Per previous discussion, I'm going to wrap alpha5 Monday morning
> Eastern time, barring objections.

It seems that the 'make distcheck' build is broken.  Apparently we
don't have any automated testing of this?  Anyone know what to fix
here?

openjade:tempfile_HISTORY.sgml:674:55:X: reference to non-existent ID
"GUC-DEADLOCK-TIMEOUT"
openjade:tempfile_HISTORY.sgml:677:23:X: reference to non-existent ID
"GUC-LOG-MIN-DURATION-STATEMENT"
openjade:tempfile_HISTORY.sgml:678:23:X: reference to non-existent ID
"GUC-LOG-AUTOVACUUM-MIN-DURATION"
openjade:tempfile_HISTORY.sgml:1116:23:X: reference to non-existent ID
"SQL-ALTERTABLE"
openjade:tempfile_HISTORY.sgml:676:23:X: reference to non-existent ID
"GUC-MAX-STANDBY-STREAMING-DELAY"
openjade:tempfile_HISTORY.sgml:675:23:X: reference to non-existent ID
"GUC-MAX-STANDBY-ARCHIVE-DELAY"

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: alpha5

Дата:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Per previous discussion, I'm going to wrap alpha5 Monday morning
>> Eastern time, barring objections.

> It seems that the 'make distcheck' build is broken.  Apparently we
> don't have any automated testing of this?  Anyone know what to fix
> here?

Bruce keeps trying to put cross-references where they mustn't go ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: alpha5

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of lun mar 28 10:26:59 -0300 2011:
> > On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Per previous discussion, I'm going to wrap alpha5 Monday morning
> >> Eastern time, barring objections.
>
> > It seems that the 'make distcheck' build is broken.  Apparently we
> > don't have any automated testing of this?  Anyone know what to fix
> > here?
>
> Bruce keeps trying to put cross-references where they mustn't go ...

The long explanation is that history.sgml is used to generate HISTORY in
plain text, and for that it must be built standalone.  So all references
to nodes external to that file are verboten.

Re: alpha5

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Per previous discussion, I'm going to wrap alpha5 Monday morning
>>> Eastern time, barring objections.
>
>> It seems that the 'make distcheck' build is broken.  Apparently we
>> don't have any automated testing of this?  Anyone know what to fix
>> here?
>
> Bruce keeps trying to put cross-references where they mustn't go ...

Actually those are all my fault.  Sorry, I'm still learning the ropes.I didn't realize xref couldn't be used in the
releasenotes; it looks
for.

This is the sort of thing for which make maintainer-check would be very useful.

--

I wrote:
>> It seems that the 'make distcheck' build is broken.  Apparently we
>> don't have any automated testing of this?  Anyone know what to fix
>> here?

> Bruce keeps trying to put cross-references where they mustn't go ...

Quick hack applied.  I think there's a better way, but I don't remember
it at this time of day.
        regards, tom lane

Re: alpha5

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I wrote:
>>> It seems that the 'make distcheck' build is broken.  Apparently we
>>> don't have any automated testing of this?  Anyone know what to fix
>>> here?
>
>> Bruce keeps trying to put cross-references where they mustn't go ...
>
> Quick hack applied.  I think there's a better way, but I don't remember
> it at this time of day.

Slightly better hack applied.

Tarballs now at:

http://developer.postgresql.org/~rhaas/

Please sanity check and let me know if it looks OK to push these out for real.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: alpha5

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 03/28/2011 09:25 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Per previous discussion, I'm going to wrap alpha5 Monday morning
>> Eastern time, barring objections.
> It seems that the 'make distcheck' build is broken.  Apparently we
> don't have any automated testing of this?  Anyone know what to fix
> here?

There is a bunch of things we don't test in a way that shows up
obviously, if at all. I'm thinking of making a buildfarm enhancement
that will allow performance of optional steps with some extra timing and
branch params. Obvious candidates include building the docs, looking for
typedefs, and benchmark runs as per Greg's post yesterday. The extra
config would look something like:
    optional_steps => {         find_typedefs => { branches => ['HEAD'], min_hours_since => 23 },         benchmark =>
{dow=> [0,2], min_hour => 3, max_hour => 6 },         build_docs => {min_hours_since => 72},    },

Adding a docs build to the buildfarm would at least show up errors like
the one you found pretty quickly. It's going to have to be optional,
though, as by no means does everyone have the required toolset installed.

cheers

andrew

Re: alpha5

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On mån, 2011-03-28 at 09:35 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Actually those are all my fault.  Sorry, I'm still learning the ropes.
>  I didn't realize xref couldn't be used in the release notes; it looks
> for.
>
> This is the sort of thing for which make maintainer-check would be
> very useful.

And/or we could add the creation of these files to "make doc" or "make
world" or something.

Re: alpha5

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of lun mar 28 17:00:01 -0300 2011:
> On mån, 2011-03-28 at 09:35 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Actually those are all my fault.  Sorry, I'm still learning the ropes.
> >  I didn't realize xref couldn't be used in the release notes; it looks
> > for.
> >
> > This is the sort of thing for which make maintainer-check would be
> > very useful.
>
> And/or we could add the creation of these files to "make doc" or "make
> world" or something.

I suggest having them be created in doc/src/sgml "all" target.  This
gets them in "make docs" and "make world" AFAICT.

Re: alpha5

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of sáb abr 09 01:55:45 -0300 2011:
> Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of lun mar 28 17:00:01 -0300 2011:
> > On mån, 2011-03-28 at 09:35 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > > Actually those are all my fault.  Sorry, I'm still learning the ropes.
> > >  I didn't realize xref couldn't be used in the release notes; it looks
> > > for.
> > >
> > > This is the sort of thing for which make maintainer-check would be
> > > very useful.
> >
> > And/or we could add the creation of these files to "make doc" or "make
> > world" or something.
>
> I suggest having them be created in doc/src/sgml "all" target.  This
> gets them in "make docs" and "make world" AFAICT.

This is a trivial patch (attached).  The only problem with it is that
"make all" would fail if lynx is not installed.

Re: alpha5

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 26.04.2011 17:36, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of sáb abr 09 01:55:45 -0300 2011:
>> Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of lun mar 28 17:00:01 -0300 2011:

>>> And/or we could add the creation of these files to "make doc" or "make
>>> world" or something.
>>
>> I suggest having them be created in doc/src/sgml "all" target.  This
>> gets them in "make docs" and "make world" AFAICT.
>
> This is a trivial patch (attached).  The only problem with it is that
> "make all" would fail if lynx is not installed.

Does it need Internet connection?

Re: alpha5

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Heikki Linnakangas's message of mié abr 27 07:47:32 -0300 2011:
> On 26.04.2011 17:36, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> >> I suggest having them be created in doc/src/sgml "all" target.  This
> >> gets them in "make docs" and "make world" AFAICT.
> >
> > This is a trivial patch (attached).  The only problem with it is that
> > "make all" would fail if lynx is not installed.
>
> Does it need Internet connection?

No, it only dumps the local HTML file into plain text.

Re: alpha5

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On tis, 2011-04-26 at 11:36 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> This is a trivial patch (attached).  The only problem with it is that
> "make all" would fail if lynx is not installed.

Well, that will probably not be acceptable.

I rather think the action item here is to set up a buildfarm-ish job
that runs make distcheck, which is designed to, well, check if the
dist-making works.

Re: alpha5

От
Andrew Dunstan

> On tis, 2011-04-26 at 11:36 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> This is a trivial patch (attached).  The only problem with it is that
>> "make all" would fail if lynx is not installed.
> Well, that will probably not be acceptable.
>
> I rather think the action item here is to set up a buildfarm-ish job
> that runs make distcheck, which is designed to, well, check if the
> dist-making works.

I have just added some infrastructure support to the buildfarm for
adding optional steps. This one would be *really* easy to add.

cheers

andrew

Re: alpha5

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of mié abr 27 15:40:22 -0300 2011:
> On tis, 2011-04-26 at 11:36 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > This is a trivial patch (attached).  The only problem with it is that
> > "make all" would fail if lynx is not installed.
>
> Well, that will probably not be acceptable.

Agreed.

> I rather think the action item here is to set up a buildfarm-ish job
> that runs make distcheck, which is designed to, well, check if the
> dist-making works.

Makes sense.

(I wonder why don't we also install the HTML version of those files?)

Re: alpha5

Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> It seems that the 'make distcheck' build is broken. ?Apparently we
> >> don't have any automated testing of this? ?Anyone know what to fix
> >> here?
> >
> > Bruce keeps trying to put cross-references where they mustn't go ...
>
> Actually those are all my fault.  Sorry, I'm still learning the ropes.
>  I didn't realize xref couldn't be used in the release notes; it looks
> for.

FYI, this is documented in release.sgml in an SGML comment:
For new features, add links to the documentation sections.  Use </link>not just </> so that generate_history.pl can
removeit, so HISTORY.htmlcan be created without links to the main documentation.  Don't use<xref>.

<xref> can't be used because there is no text to keep, and </link> ( not
</>) has to be used so we remove the right tag.

http://enterprisedb.com