Обсуждение: Synchronous standbys?

Synchronous standbys?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Reading documents coming with Simon's patches, I'm a little bit
confused by the idea of "synchronous standbys".

In the sgmls doc, "The commit wait will last until the first reply
from any standby. Multiple standby servers allow increased
availability and possibly increase performance as well."

So in my understanding there could be one or more synchronous
standbys. However in his mail:

"If the current synchronous standby dies then one of the other
standbys will take over."

It seems there's only one synchronous standby allowed at the same
time.

Does anybody know which one is correct?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Synchronous standbys?

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:42 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:

> It seems there's only one synchronous standby allowed at the same
> time.
>
> Does anybody know which one is correct?

there could be only one standby at the same time...
in the original patch there could be several synchronous standby
servers and the primary was going to wait until the first one of them
to answer, but that was removed and replaced by a list of possible
synch standby servers and the first that connects is the one the
primary will wait for. because right now it's a simple list the first
one will always be the synch standby until it's removed from the list
or phisically.

the other comment in the doc should be removed

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL

Re: Synchronous standbys?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> there could be only one standby at the same time...
> in the original patch there could be several synchronous standby
> servers and the primary was going to wait until the first one of them
> to answer, but that was removed and replaced by a list of possible
> synch standby servers and the first that connects is the one the
> primary will wait for. because right now it's a simple list the first
> one will always be the synch standby until it's removed from the list
> or phisically.
>
> the other comment in the doc should be removed

Thanks for the info!