Обсуждение: Is LISTEN/NOTIFY reliable?

Is LISTEN/NOTIFY reliable?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Hi,

Does anybody know PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY is more reliable than
previous versions?  I vaguely recall that in the previous
implementation, message sent by NOTIFY may not be reached to listner.
Does PostgreSQL 9.0's new implementation guarantee that the message is
received by the listener?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Is LISTEN/NOTIFY reliable?

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Does anybody know PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY is more reliable than
> previous versions?  I vaguely recall that in the previous
> implementation, message sent by NOTIFY may not be reached to listner.
> Does PostgreSQL 9.0's new implementation guarantee that the message is
> received by the listener?

I think it was always intended to be reliable (otherwise it's not much
good).  I think I remember a bug where notifications were being lost
on Windows under heavy load, but I thought we fixed that...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Is LISTEN/NOTIFY reliable?

Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
> Does anybody know PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY is more reliable than
> previous versions?  I vaguely recall that in the previous
> implementation, message sent by NOTIFY may not be reached to listner.
> Does PostgreSQL 9.0's new implementation guarantee that the message is
> received by the listener?

No more or less than the old one did.

The old design intentionally dropped duplicate notifications, and the
new one does too (though with a narrower definition of "duplicate").
Modulo that well-documented behavior, I know of no reason to describe
either the old or new code as unreliable.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Is LISTEN/NOTIFY reliable?

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
cite="mid:AANLkTinmP0sMVd2ErLdDba=1VftnvOcHYBE52tjxzdsB@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at
3:27AM, Tatsuo Ishii <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
previous versions?  I vaguely recall that in the previous
implementation, message sent by NOTIFY may not be reached to listner.
Does PostgreSQL 9.0's new implementation guarantee that the message is
received by the listener?
I think it was always intended to be reliable (otherwise it's not much
good).  I think I remember a bug where notifications were being lost
on Windows under heavy load, but I thought we fixed that...
multipletimes from the same transaction with identical payload strings, the database server can decide to deliver a
singlenotification only. On the other hand, notifications with distinct payload strings will always be delivered as
distinctnotifications. Similarly, notifications from different transactions will never get folded into one
notification.Except for dropping later instances of duplicate notifications, <tt class="COMMAND">NOTIFY</tt> guarantees

Re: Is LISTEN/NOTIFY reliable?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> Does anybody know PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY is more reliable than
>> previous versions? ,A (BI vaguely recall that in the previous
>> implementation, message sent by NOTIFY may not be reached to listner.
>> Does PostgreSQL 9.0's new implementation guarantee that the message is
>> received by the listener?
>
> I think it was always intended to be reliable (otherwise it's not much
> good).  I think I remember a bug where notifications were being lost
> on Windows under heavy load, but I thought we fixed that...

Thanks. Maybe I was confused by the bug.