Обсуждение: Timezone matching script (win32)

Timezone matching script (win32)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
I'm breaking this out to a separate email thread, since i think the
original question may hvae been lost in the "I've applied this patch"
part that made people ignore it at the end of a long thread ;) There
are usually people who have thoughts about this kind of thing :-) So,
thoughts/suggestions on location?

- cut -
I've applied the patch to add the missing timezone names.

Before I did that I wrote a small perlscript that reads pgtz.c and
compares what's there to what's in the registry of the current
machine. Turns out I had missed one, which is Argentina Standard Time.

This script should probably live in CVS, and be run when Microsoft
releases new timezone data. Where should I put it - src/timezone or
somewhere in src/tools? (it does read pgtz.c in the current directory,
but it doesn't actually edit the file - just outputs on stdout a list
of changes to be made to the file manually)

Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Before I did that I wrote a small perlscript that reads pgtz.c and
> compares what's there to what's in the registry of the current
> machine. Turns out I had missed one, which is Argentina Standard Time.
>
> This script should probably live in CVS, and be run when Microsoft
> releases new timezone data. Where should I put it - src/timezone or
> somewhere in src/tools? (it does read pgtz.c in the current directory,
> but it doesn't actually edit the file - just outputs on stdout a list
> of changes to be made to the file manually)

I think it should live in src/tools and be mentioned in
src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES

Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

Дата:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> This script should probably live in CVS, and be run when Microsoft
>> releases new timezone data. Where should I put it - src/timezone or
>> somewhere in src/tools? (it does read pgtz.c in the current directory,
>> but it doesn't actually edit the file - just outputs on stdout a list
>> of changes to be made to the file manually)

> I think it should live in src/tools and be mentioned in
> src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES

+1 for src/tools/, but the documentation note should probably be in
src/timezone/README.  This task isn't especially coupled to release
times (at least not *our* release times).  And it's definitely not
likely to happen at the times anyone would be consulting
RELEASE_CHANGES, because none of the release leadup work gets done
on Windows machines.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> This script should probably live in CVS, and be run when Microsoft
> >> releases new timezone data. Where should I put it - src/timezone or
> >> somewhere in src/tools? (it does read pgtz.c in the current directory,
> >> but it doesn't actually edit the file - just outputs on stdout a list
> >> of changes to be made to the file manually)
>
> > I think it should live in src/tools and be mentioned in
> > src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES
>
> +1 for src/tools/, but the documentation note should probably be in
> src/timezone/README.  This task isn't especially coupled to release
> times (at least not *our* release times).  And it's definitely not
> likely to happen at the times anyone would be consulting
> RELEASE_CHANGES, because none of the release leadup work gets done
> on Windows machines.

True, but if there's a www.microsoft.com URL that could be checked for
timezone updates, perhaps we don't need a Windows machine.  In any case,
perhaps whoever does the release work can *ask* someone else to provide
the Windows TZ patch.

Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>
>> > I think it should live in src/tools and be mentioned in
>> > src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES
>>
>> +1 for src/tools/, but the documentation note should probably be in
>> src/timezone/README.  This task isn't especially coupled to release
>> times (at least not *our* release times).  And it's definitely not
>> likely to happen at the times anyone would be consulting
>> RELEASE_CHANGES, because none of the release leadup work gets done
>> on Windows machines.
>
> True, but if there's a www.microsoft.com URL that could be checked for
> timezone updates, perhaps we don't need a Windows machine.  In any case,

Funny guy. There isn't, of course.

> perhaps whoever does the release work can *ask* someone else to provide
> the Windows TZ patch.

Yeah, that's what we'll need done.

How about we put it in RELEASE_CHANGES for major releases with
something like "if a major windows update has been released, run ...
"?

Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> +1 for src/tools/, but the documentation note should probably be in
>>> src/timezone/README.  This task isn't especially coupled to release
>>> times (at least not *our* release times).  And it's definitely not
>>> likely to happen at the times anyone would be consulting
>>> RELEASE_CHANGES, because none of the release leadup work gets done
>>> on Windows machines.
>> True, but if there's a www.microsoft.com URL that could be checked for
>> timezone updates, perhaps we don't need a Windows machine.  In any case,
>
> Funny guy. There isn't, of course.
>
>> perhaps whoever does the release work can *ask* someone else to provide
>> the Windows TZ patch.
>
> Yeah, that's what we'll need done.
>
> How about we put it in RELEASE_CHANGES for major releases with
> something like "if a major windows update has been released, run ...
> "?

is this really just relevant for major releases or is there a chance
that MS adds stuff like that in patches or servicepacks as well?

Stefan

Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>>> True, but if there's a www.microsoft.com URL that could be checked for
>>> timezone updates, perhaps we don't need a Windows machine.  In any case,
>>
>> Funny guy. There isn't, of course.
>>
>>> perhaps whoever does the release work can *ask* someone else to provide
>>> the Windows TZ patch.
>>
>> Yeah, that's what we'll need done.
>>
>> How about we put it in RELEASE_CHANGES for major releases with
>> something like "if a major windows update has been released, run ...
>> "?
>
> is this really just relevant for major releases or is there a chance that MS adds stuff like that in patches or
servicepacksas well?

I'd expect servicepacks at least are relevant, but they *are* fairly
major releases...

Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> How about we put it in RELEASE_CHANGES for major releases with
> >> something like "if a major windows update has been released, run ...
> >> "?
> >
> > is this really just relevant for major releases or is there a chance that MS adds stuff like that in patches or
servicepacksas well?

> I'd expect servicepacks at least are relevant, but they *are* fairly
> major releases...

I thought you meant stuff like "windows 2007" vs. "windows xp" or such.
If SPs are considered major too, then it seems reasonable.

Doesn't microsoft have a monthly update policy or something?  Those are
not SPs though, right?

Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
>> <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

>> > is this really just relevant for major releases or is there a chance that MS adds stuff like that in patches or
servicepacksas well?

>> I'd expect servicepacks at least are relevant, but they *are* fairly
>> major releases...
>
> I thought you meant stuff like "windows 2007" vs. "windows xp" or such.
> If SPs are considered major too, then it seems reasonable.
>
> Doesn't microsoft have a monthly update policy or something?  Those are
> not SPs though, right?

Those are hotfixes. They are not servicepacks. I doubt they'd touch
this stuff, unless they're specifically hotfixes for timezone
information. They do have those, but nowhere near as frequent as we do
TZ updates (probably because they keep a lot less data about their
timezones)

Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> This script should probably live in CVS, and be run when Microsoft
>>> releases new timezone data. Where should I put it - src/timezone or
>>> somewhere in src/tools? (it does read pgtz.c in the current directory,
>>> but it doesn't actually edit the file - just outputs on stdout a list
>>> of changes to be made to the file manually)
>
>> I think it should live in src/tools and be mentioned in
>> src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES
>
> +1 for src/tools/, but the documentation note should probably be in
> src/timezone/README.  This task isn't especially coupled to release
> times (at least not *our* release times).  And it's definitely not
> likely to happen at the times anyone would be consulting
> RELEASE_CHANGES, because none of the release leadup work gets done
> on Windows machines.

I've applied the script with a small change to both the README and the
RELEASE_CHANGES files. Feel free to adjust that if you feel it's
wrong.