Обсуждение: Listen/Notify payload and interfaces

Listen/Notify payload and interfaces

От
Joachim Wieland
Дата:
This one is for the maintainers of the various postgresql interfaces:

With the new listen/notify implementation we can send a payload along
with the notification. This has been in the protocol already since
years and there is no change needed for libpq. However we need to
adapt the various interfaces to allow a payload to be sent and
received.

A notification is sent via SQL:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-notify.html

and received via the libpq call PQnotifies:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/libpq-notify.html

Joachim

Re: Listen/Notify payload and interfaces

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Listen/Notify payload and interfaces

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Feb 17, 2010, at 10:04 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> while (my $notify = $dbh->pg_notifies) {
>  my ($name, $pid, $payload) = @$notify;
>  print qq{I received notice "$name" from PID $pid, payload was "$payload"\n};
> }
>
> Not sure what you mean by adapting interfaces to send payloads, I imagine
> most if not all simply require a NOTIFY to be sent via PQexec.

Is the payload decoded to utf8 when pg_enable_utf8 is true?

Best,

David

Re: Listen/Notify payload and interfaces

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Listen/Notify payload and interfaces

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Feb 18, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> Is the payload decoded to utf8 when pg_enable_utf8 is true?
>
> No - there's a note in the code to look into that at some point. So
> stick to ASCII for the moment. I'm sure the great DBD::Pg utf-8
> overhaul (where we get rid of the pg_enable_utf8 hack) will encompass
> payloads as well.

Is that immanent?

Best,

David

Re: Listen/Notify payload and interfaces

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата: