Обсуждение: [FWD] About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch

[FWD] About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch

От
Leonardo F
Дата:
I really thought this would have caused some interest, since

- this item is in the TODO list
- the improvement for CLUSTER in some scenarios is 800%,
and maybe more (if I didn't do anything wrong, of course...)

Could at least the message:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg00766.php
be added to the TODO page, under
"Improve CLUSTER performance by sorting to reduce
random I/O" ?
It would be sad if the patch got lost...

Leonardo

> Attached the updated patch (should solve a bug) and a script.
> The sql scripts generates a 2M rows table ("orig"); then the
> table is copied and the copy clustered using seq + sort (since
> "set enable_seqscan=false;").
> Then the table "orig" is copied again, and the copy clustered
> using regular index scan (set enable_indexscan=true; set
> enable_seqscan=false).
> Then the same thing is done on a 5M rows table, and on a 10M
> rows table.
>
> On my system (Sol10 on a dual Opteron 2.8) single disc:
>

> 2M:  seq+sort 11secs; regular index scan: 33secs
> 5M:  seq+sort 39secs; regular index scan: 105secs
> 10M:seq+sort 83secs; regular index scan: 646secs
>

> Maybe someone could suggest a better/different test?
>

> Leonardo

Re: [FWD] About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Leonardo F wrote:
> Could at least the message:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg00766.php
> be added to the TODO page, under
> "Improve CLUSTER performance by sorting to reduce
> random I/O" ?
> It would be sad if the patch got lost...

You should read http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch and
follow the instructions there.  As outlined in the "Submission timing"
section, you're asking about something during the wrong time to be doing
so--that's why you're not getting any real feedback.  Add your patch to
the next CommitFest by linking to your message at
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/ and it won't get lost--it will get
assigned a reviewer at the time when the time comes to look at
completely new patches again.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: [FWD] About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch

От
Leonardo F
Дата:
> As outlined in the "Submission timing" section, you're
> asking about something during the wrong time to be doing so--that's why you're
> not getting any real feedback.  Add your patch to the next CommitFest by linking
> to your message at https://commitfest.postgresql.org/

Ok!
But there's something I don't understand: I didn't add the patch to the next
CommitFest because I thought it could never be added in 9.0 (because it adds a
new "feature" which has never been discussed). Hence I thought it should have
been "discussed" (not properly "reviewed") out of a CommitFest.
The "Submission timing" section talks about "beta phase", not "alpha phase", so
I'm stll confused...
In other words: should patches that won't be included in the next release
(because it's too late) still added to the next CommitFest? I thought a very "rough"
discussion was the way to go in these cases, but I'm not familiar at all with the
process... I'll wait for an answer before adding the patch to the CommitFest (and
in case, I'll add more comments and docs to it)

Thank you very much!

Leonardo

Re: [FWD] About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Leonardo F wrote:
> But there's something I don't understand: I didn't add the patch to the next
> CommitFest because I thought it could never be added in 9.0 (because it adds a
> new "feature" which has never been discussed). Hence I thought it should have
> been "discussed" (not properly "reviewed") out of a CommitFest.
> The "Submission timing" section talks about "beta phase", not "alpha phase", so
> I'm stll confused...
> In other words: should patches that won't be included in the next release
> (because it's too late) still added to the next CommitFest?

Yes. There's not going to be any more commitfests for this release, so
the next commitfest is for 9.1.

(don't worry about the lack of enthusiasm for the patch, people are just
very busy with 9.0 and don't have the energy to think about 9.1 material
at this point)

Re: [FWD] About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch

От
Leonardo F
Дата:
> Yes. There's not going to be any more commitfests for this release, so
> the next commitfest is for 9.1.

Perfect! Where could I find such information? I mean: how could I know
it?

> (don't worry about the lack of enthusiasm for the patch, people are just
> very busy with 9.0 and don't have the energy to think about 9.1 material
> at this point)

I understand! Since it's going to be posted in a CommitFest, I'll try to clean
up the patch a little.

Thank you Greg and Heikki.

Leonardo