Обсуждение: Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

От
"K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)"
Дата:
Hi,

Re-opening the discussion related to triggers to promote standby server.
In the earlier dicussion, there were 2 proposals, Trigger based on file
and trigger based on signals. I think there was no conclusion on this.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg01231.php

According to the proposal, it seems to be better if signals are used as
we can avoid checking the file existance in the loop. Or the other
approach is to use inotify (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify). But
portability to other unix like OS is an issue to look for.

Could you please get back which is being implemented/ considered for
promotion of standby?

regards,
Niranjan

Re: Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:07 PM, K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
<niranjan.k@nsn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Re-opening the discussion related to triggers to promote standby server.
> In the earlier dicussion, there were 2 proposals, Trigger based on file
> and trigger based on signals. I think there was no conclusion on this.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg01231.php
>
> According to the proposal, it seems to be better if signals are used as
> we can avoid checking the file existance in the loop. Or the other
> approach is to use inotify (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify). But
> portability to other unix like OS is an issue to look for.
>
> Could you please get back which is being implemented/ considered for
> promotion of standby?

I had to choose the trigger file approach last time since the patch
was also using warm-standby in part. But, in 8.5, synch-rep is
going to work without warm-standby. So, we can choose also the
trigger based on signals. In this case,

Since using kill(1) command directly for the trigger signal is troublesome,
we should also provide the wrapper command such as "pg_ctl trigger/promote".

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:07 PM, K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
> <niranjan.k@nsn.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Re-opening the discussion related to triggers to promote standby server.
>> In the earlier dicussion, there were 2 proposals, Trigger based on file
>> and trigger based on signals. I think there was no conclusion on this.
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg01231.php
>>
>> According to the proposal, it seems to be better if signals are used as
>> we can avoid checking the file existance in the loop. Or the other
>> approach is to use inotify (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify). But
>> portability to other unix like OS is an issue to look for.
>>
>> Could you please get back which is being implemented/ considered for
>> promotion of standby?
>
> I had to choose the trigger file approach last time since the patch
> was also using warm-standby in part. But, in 8.5, synch-rep is
> going to work without warm-standby. So, we can choose also the
> trigger based on signals. In this case,

In this case, I'm not sure which signal can be used for the trigger.
SIGINT/QUIT/TERM/USR1 are already used in postmaster.
SIGUSR2 is already reserved for children according to the source
comment.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)
<harald.kolb@nsn.com> wrote:
> Hello Fujii,
>
> my name is Harald Kolb, I'm a colleague of Niranjan and I will continue
> his community work since he's currently busy with other topics.
> We are looking for a fast mechanism to activate the switchover. Therfore
> we prefer to use a signal to trigger the standby to become primary,
> since in our case the postmaster will be started via fork by a watchdog.
> The originally intended solution via SIGTERM should be ok.
> In the case the mechanism will be still based on the trigger file
> concept, we would require to have in addition a signal to speed up the
> trigger file detection, since the periodic check might be not fast
> enough.

To be honest, I don't think that such quick detection shortens
the failover time so much (probably it would be shortened only
a few ms).  Instead, we should reduce the time of checkpoint
which occurs at the end of recovery/failover. It might take a few
minutes to end. So, I'd like to emphasize user-friendliness
rather than the failover time in the choice of the way of activation.
What is your opinion?

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

От
"Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)"
Дата:
Hello Fujii,

my name is Harald Kolb, I'm a colleague of Niranjan and I will continue
his community work since he's currently busy with other topics.
We are looking for a fast mechanism to activate the switchover. Therfore
we prefer to use a signal to trigger the standby to become primary,
since in our case the postmaster will be started via fork by a watchdog.
The originally intended solution via SIGTERM should be ok.
In the case the mechanism will be still based on the trigger file
concept, we would require to have in addition a signal to speed up the
trigger file detection, since the periodic check might be not fast
enough. It should be possible to reuse the SIGHUP signal. If it occurs,
the first action should be to check for the existence of the trigger
file. In the case it now exists, the switch to master mode is performed.
Otherwise the usual re-reading of the configuration files is performed.

Are there currently some concrete plannings how the promotion to primary
will be solved in the final solution ?

BR, Harald.

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:07 PM, K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
> <niranjan.k@nsn.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Re-opening the discussion related to triggers to promote standby
server.
>> In the earlier dicussion, there were 2 proposals, Trigger based on
file
>> and trigger based on signals. I think there was no conclusion on
this.
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg01231.php
>>
>> According to the proposal, it seems to be better if signals are used
as
>> we can avoid checking the file existance in the loop. Or the other
>> approach is to use inotify (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify).
But
>> portability to other unix like OS is an issue to look for.
>>
>> Could you please get back which is being implemented/ considered for
>> promotion of standby?
>
> I had to choose the trigger file approach last time since the patch
> was also using warm-standby in part. But, in 8.5, synch-rep is
> going to work without warm-standby. So, we can choose also the
> trigger based on signals. In this case,

In this case, I'm not sure which signal can be used for the trigger.
SIGINT/QUIT/TERM/USR1 are already used in postmaster.
SIGUSR2 is already reserved for children according to the source
comment.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)
<harald.kolb@nsn.com> wrote:
> In our use case it's important to have a short failover time.
> So everything what keeps the time low, would be good to have.

Yes. I think that it's a matter of priority.

> We already made some failover investigations and got some good results,
> in
> some cases it took less than 1 second after creating the (finish)
> trigger file.
> Surely, with some best case conditions like small DB and less
> modifications.
>
> What use casees do you have in mind when mentioning a few_minutes
> timeframe ?

It's the case where long-term recovery generates a lot of dirty blocks
in buffer pool. It would take a long time to write out all dirty blocks.
Of course, since bgwriter works also during recovery in 8.4, things
might have got better.

> Are there plans to improve the final checkpointing ?

IIRC, in last CommitFest, this improvement was proposed by Simon
as a part of his recovery_infrastructure patch, and was postponed
until 8.5. But, I'm not sure if it will be actually proposed again for 8.5.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 21:28 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)
> <harald.kolb@nsn.com> wrote:
> > In our use case it's important to have a short failover time.
> > So everything what keeps the time low, would be good to have.
>
> Yes. I think that it's a matter of priority.

Reducing failover time should be the subject of another patch, not
something to be included in synch rep. That will just make patch bigger
and harder to commit.

Fast failover is important and we should eventually do it, even plan it
for next release, but it should not be a priority (ahead of or same as
sync rep).

Re: Synchronous replication: Promotion of Standby to Primary

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 21:28 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)
>> <harald.kolb@nsn.com> wrote:
>> > In our use case it's important to have a short failover time.
>> > So everything what keeps the time low, would be good to have.
>>
>> Yes. I think that it's a matter of priority.
>
> Reducing failover time should be the subject of another patch, not
> something to be included in synch rep. That will just make patch bigger
> and harder to commit.

Agreed. I'll concentrate on synch rep itself until it's committed.