Обсуждение: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Halliday
Дата:
Dear pgsql hackers,

The encryption options
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/encryption-options.html

fall short for my thread case. Consider the case where all users of a
machine are trusted and the machine automatically locks itself down on
a period of inactivity, and only local psql connections are allowed.

If the machine is stolen, the only current protection is to use an
encrypted drive. This is impractical because it requires a manual
start of the psql server and essentially means each user has to use a
separate instance and copy of the databases, each storing their data
in their own encrypted drives. (e.g. consider Apple OS X FileVault,
Windows TrueCrypt, or Linux/BSD equivalents)

If it were feasible, a transparent crypto on all fields for a given
database would be just the trick! Connections to such databases could
require a key as well as the user login. Queries could then continue
as if it was a normal connection and all fields would be unencrypted
on the fly. This particular approach might be a little too naive, but
it is a threat case I would urge you to consider. All security comes
with a cost, the cost here should be only minimal performance hit and
no changes to queries.

--
Sam

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:43:30PM +0100, Sam Halliday wrote:
> > Dear pgsql hackers,
> >
> > The encryption options
> >
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/encryption-options.html
>
> [...]
>
> > If it were feasible, a transparent crypto on all fields for a given
> > database would be just the trick! Connections to such databases could
> > require a key as well as the user login [...]
>
> If I understand you correctly you are proposing to do the decryption
> server-side. This doesn't seem to make much sense (at least not beyond
> encrypting the partition where the data is). Either the machine is
> stolen when shut down, or the machine is "stolen" when running. In the
> first case you are fine, in the second you are lost. It's the same as
> with an encrypted partition.
>
> Providing the key/passphrase to unlock the partition is possible over
> the net.
>
> Keeping the (at least the decryption) key client-side makes much more
> sense (and you can provide different clients with different keys). The
> only drawback is when you need an index over an encrypted field :-(

It's possible that this could be accomplished by something like Veil,
or the built-in implementation that's coming in some future version of
PG (is it scheduled for 8.5 at this point?)

Anyway, if a Veil rule required the user to enter a password that would
decrypt their key then store it in the session, this could be used for
subsequent queries to encrypted fields.  Since each user has their own
key, the data is protected from all sorts of priv escalations, theft,
etc (really, just about every attack vector aside from password brute
forcing and social engineering ... and those will require other
methods of protection anyway.)

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:38:55AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > It's possible that this could be accomplished by something like Veil,
>
> Veil? Care to share an URL?

Google knows :)

http://veil.projects.postgresql.org/curdocs/index.html

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Marc Munro
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 16:08 -0300, pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:38:55AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > It's possible that this could be accomplished by something like
> Veil,
>
> Veil? Care to share an URL?

http://veil.projects.postgresql.org/curdocs/index.html

Veil is intended to enable implementation of virtual private databases.
It provides a bunch of primitives for managing bitmaps of privileges.
These privileges can be used to control access to individual rows within
a table.

In principle it could be used in the way that Bill Moran suggests though
I have never used it that way.  I am somewhat suspicious of passing
encryption keys to the database server as there is always the potential
for them to be leaked.  It is generally much safer to keep keys and the
decryption process on a separate server.

__
Marc

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:38:55AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> [...]
>
> > It's possible that this could be accomplished by something like Veil,
> > or the built-in implementation that's coming in some future version of
> > PG (is it scheduled for 8.5 at this point?)
> >
> > Anyway, if a Veil rule required the user to enter a password that would
> > decrypt their key then store it in the session [...]
>
> Still, I don't see much advantage in doing the decryption server-side --
> and one disadvantage: if someone hijacks the "live" server, they have
> your key.
>
> (The only possible addvantage would be indexing, but you would have to
> solve tougher problems: how do you keep the index key protected?

Someone hijacking your live server does not automatically give anyone
the key, unless you implement this wrong (which is, of course, possible).

Each _user_ gets their own key, encrypted with their password.  Thus,
even if an attack gets an offline dump of the database, it does them
no good unless they already have the user's password.  If they have
that, they they've been given license to bypass your security
restrictions _without_ doing anything funky.

But it's still protected.  If an attacker manages to get an offline
copy of the database (let's imagine a horrific scenario where they
steal an unencrypted backup tape, or they find a huge SQL injection
hole that allows them access to the entire database ...) they still
only have access to the data for users that they know the password
for.  Even if they have a certain user's password, it only unlocks a
single key, which only unlocks that user's data.

Sure, there are challenges, but there are methods to work through all
of those challenges.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 01:31:39PM -0700, Marc Munro wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > In principle it could be used in the way that Bill Moran suggests though
> > I have never used it that way.  I am somewhat suspicious of passing
> > encryption keys to the database server as there is always the potential
> > for them to be leaked.
>
> Exactly.
>
> >                         It is generally much safer to keep keys and the
> > decryption process on a separate server.
>
> Or just client-side. Minimum spread of knowledge. Decrypting fields
> server-side gains us nothing which can't be achieved by encrypting the
> whole data partition (this would protect us against the server being
> stolen in a "shut down" state). And encrypting the partition gives us
> indexing "as usual", which wouldn't be as easy to achieve with encrypted
> fields.

Not true.  If each user has their own key, it's considerably more
secure than encrypting the partition, since it protects from through-
application attacks as well as physically stolen hardware.

Also, putting the key on the client machine causes the client machine to
be an attack vector, and client machines are usually more numerous and
more difficult to secure than servers.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Halliday
Дата:
Please continue to CC me on this thread as I have disabled receiving
messages from this list, although remain subscribed.

On 25 Apr 2009, at 05:52, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> Sure, there are challenges, but there are methods to work through all
>> of those challenges.
>
> I seem to be less optimistic than you are: I think as soon as the
> server
> "has" all the necessary key material to decrypt the data you are't
> more
> secure than a "traditional" system, with some access control.

Remember, the threat case here is a stolen server/desktop/laptop which
is either completely locked down or has been powered off. The secure
transmission of keys is someone else's problem.

This is essentially a proposal to get around the limitations imposed
by running PostgreSQL on an encrypted partition. The requirements are
the following, regardless of how it is implemented:-

- data for selected databases/columns are stored encrypted on disc,
passwords not persisted (although may remain in RAM)
- a single psql server can autonomously start up and serve connection
requests (this cannot be done with encrypted disc)
- client PSQL queries must remain unchanged (connection request may
have additional parameters)
- minimal performance penalty, no more than running on top of an
encrypted drive

Of course if an intruder has physical access to the device AND the
keys, then all is lost. That is always the case. But that's 2
intrusions they must make.

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:43:14AM +0100, Sam Halliday wrote:
> Please continue to CC me on this thread as I have disabled receiving
> messages from this list, although remain subscribed.

OK

[...]

> Remember, the threat case here is a stolen server/desktop/laptop which is
> either completely locked down or has been powered off. The secure
> transmission of keys is someone else's problem.
>
> This is essentially a proposal to get around the limitations imposed by
> running PostgreSQL on an encrypted partition. The requirements are the
> following, regardless of how it is implemented:-
>
> - data for selected databases/columns are stored encrypted on disc,
> passwords not persisted (although may remain in RAM)

An encrypted partition does most of this (except the "selected columns"
part). Note that encrypting the column most probably will make it
impossible to put an index on that).

so it's +1 for encrypted column.

> - a single psql server can autonomously start up and serve connection
> requests (this cannot be done with encrypted disc)

Sure it can -- it will be strongly architecture dependent though. Look
at [1] for an example of how this might be done for the _root partition_
in GNU/Linux (it'll be easier for a dedicated partition, when all else
is up and running).

> - client PSQL queries must remain unchanged (connection request may have
> additional parameters)

Same with encrypted partition.

> - minimal performance penalty, no more than running on top of an encrypted
> drive

Same with encrypted partition.

> Of course if an intruder has physical access to the device AND the keys,
> then all is lost. That is always the case. But that's 2 intrusions they
> must make.

Same with encrypted partition.

There is another advantage of encrypted column mentioned upthread (and I
think it's the main one): each user can unlock her specific data set.
This is cute, but I still think it can be better addressed doing the
decryption client-side (and I maintain that this is _at least as
secure_, possibly even more secure). A drawback would be that each
client would need its own implementation. For the libpq based clients
there is e.g. libpqtypes [2], but non-libpq based (notably Java) would
have to implement that themselves.

I'm still firmly on the camp of "client side", it seems.

[1] <http://gpl.coulmann.de/ssh_luks_unlock.html>
[2] <http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1021>

Regards
- -- tomás

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Halliday
Дата:
On 26 Apr 2009, at 07:05, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> - a single psql server can autonomously start up and serve connection
>> requests (this cannot be done with encrypted disc)
>
> Sure it can -- it will be strongly architecture dependent though. Look
> at [1] for an example of how this might be done for the _root
> partition_
> in GNU/Linux (it'll be easier for a dedicated partition, when all else
> is up and running).

I read the reference and I disagree that this is currently possible.
Even this example is not an autonomous startup of the psql server. It
requires an inward network connection, for a start. Consider the case
where the PSQL server is on a laptop and its primary function is to
serve local requests, therefore "dialling in" over ssh is not an option.

If there were a way to prompt the user for the password to an
encrypted drive on startup for all OS, with an equivalent for headless
machines... then perhaps encrypted drives would be practical enough to
be used by psql. At the moment, the bootup sequence and requirements
of psql mean its only really an option for user-started servers. An
alternative is necessary.

Tomas Zerolo wrote:

> Note that I'm not talking about stealing the hardware, but hijacking,
> trojanizing, whatever. That's the real threat, in this
> Javascript/Flash/Silverlight infested world.

I'm still talking about theft of machines (particularly laptops) as that is
a major threat. One need only read the British newspapers to discover story
after story of articles where "sensitive information was on a laptop which
was stolen". As pointed out elsewhere, psql + encrypted drive is entirely
unpractical as no OS is setup to ask for an encrypted drive password on boot
(similarly for headless machines, user interaction is required). A practical
solution that accomplishes the same goals as the encrypted drive is
necessary.

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Andrej
Дата:
2009/4/26 Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com>:

> I'm still talking about theft of machines (particularly laptops) as that is
> a major threat. One need only read the British newspapers to discover story
> after story of articles where "sensitive information was on a laptop which
> was stolen". As pointed out elsewhere, psql + encrypted drive is entirely
> unpractical as no OS is setup to ask for an encrypted drive password on boot
> (similarly for headless machines, user interaction is required). A practical
> solution that accomplishes the same goals as the encrypted drive is
> necessary.
Buy a higher end thinkpad, it uses a BIOS password and an ASIC
to encrypt the data in hardware, w/o impact on performance.

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 07:03:32AM +1200, Andrej wrote:
> 2009/4/26 Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com>:
> > I'm still talking about theft of machines (particularly laptops) as that is
> > a major threat. One need only read the British newspapers to discover story
> > after story of articles where "sensitive information was on a laptop which
> > was stolen". As pointed out elsewhere, psql + encrypted drive is entirely
> > unpractical as no OS is setup to ask for an encrypted drive password on boot
> > (similarly for headless machines, user interaction is required). A practical
> > solution that accomplishes the same goals as the encrypted drive is
> > necessary.
>
> Buy a higher end thinkpad, it uses a BIOS password and an ASIC
> to encrypt the data in hardware, w/o impact on performance.

There are various tools that allow you to do this without specialised
hardware, TrueCrypt[1] is one I've used in the past and is very easy for
naive users to get their heads around.

--  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/
[1] http://www.truecrypt.org/

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Halliday
Дата:
TrueCrypt is exactly the "encrypted drive" solution. It has problems. They
are described in this thread.

Sam Mason wrote:

> There are various tools that allow you to do this without specialised
> hardware, TrueCrypt[1] is one I've used in the past and is very easy for
> naive users to get their heads around.

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Gurjeet Singh
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> wrote:

TrueCrypt is exactly the "encrypted drive" solution. It has problems. They
are described in this thread.

If there were a way to prompt the user for the password to an encrypted drive on startup for all OS, with an equivalent for headless machines... then perhaps encrypted drives would be practical enough to be used by psql

Perhaps TrueCrypt _is_ the solution you are looking for. It allows you to encrypt the root/system partition (at least on Windows) and can ask for decryption password at boot time.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=system-encryption

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

EnterpriseDB      http://www.enterprisedb.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Halliday
Дата:
Not looking for a Windows solution. Must be cross platform and work
for headless machines, laptops and desktops. Encrypted drive solutions
fall short of these requirements. Other considerations which rule out
encrypted drives have been discussed earlier in the thread.

For the record, I have a working solution at the moment that involves
using an encrypted drive and a manual per-user startup sequence. *I am
not looking for user advice*, this is an RFE for an additional server-
side encryption approach to security.

--
Sam

Tomas Zerolo wrote:

>> If there were a way to prompt the user for the password to an encrypted
>> drive on startup for all OS, with an equivalent for headless machines...
>
> There definitely is. We even need more flexibility: prompt for
> credentials at the time of *mounting* a secured partition (this might be
> the time you put in a thumb drive, or the time where you take this
> particular secured database on-line).

There is a difference between "it's possible" and "there is". I know of no
such standard support of either of the standard OSes.

Tomas Zerolo wrote:

>> then perhaps encrypted drives would be practical enough to be used by
>> psql.
>> At the moment, the bootup sequence and requirements of psql mean its only
>> really an option for user-started servers. An alternative is necessary.
>
> There would be two steps: unlock database (starting the server), connect
> to it. If that's unpractical, remember: client-side decryption. The
> server _never_ sees the decrypted data (and more important: the
> decryption key). The only point of failure is the client (and the client
> is a point of failure in any case).

Ignore client side issues... that's a separate problem. The threat case here
is a stolen desktop/laptop/server where the attacker rips out the hard drive
to peak inside.

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 01:28:45AM -0700, Sam Halliday wrote:
> Tomas Zerolo wrote:
> >
> >> If there were a way to prompt the user for the password to an encrypted
> >> drive on startup for all OS, with an equivalent for headless machines...
>
> There is a difference between "it's possible" and "there is". I know of no
> such standard support of either of the standard OSes.

For the record, in Debian Linux you can setup an encrypted root FS
during installation and it will ask to a password on every boot.

Have a nice day,

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 09:24:55AM +0100, Sam Halliday wrote:
> Not looking for a Windows solution. Must be cross platform and work
> for headless machines, laptops and desktops. Encrypted drive solutions
> fall short of these requirements. Other considerations which rule out
> encrypted drives have been discussed earlier in the thread.

Just for reference; TrueCrypt is for Mac OS/X and Linux.  Never tried it
on them, but it's supposed to work!

> For the record, I have a working solution at the moment that involves
> using an encrypted drive and a manual per-user startup sequence. *I am
> not looking for user advice*, this is an RFE for an additional server-
> side encryption approach to security.

OK, I've just re-read your original messages--my mail client had decided
to break the thread into several pieces and I think I've put it all back
together now and have an idea what you're after.

As far as I can tell, it would currently be somewhat hard with PG the
way it's currently implemented.  It assumes shared access to various
catalogue tables and I don't think these couldn't be encrypted (I
believe they're needed during database startup).

One possible arrangement would be if each user/encryption key had its
own database cluster.  If that's OK, then maybe you could hack pg-pool
around so that once it received the secret it would be able to run off,
mount the appropriate partitions, and start the database engine before
connecting to it.  I've not used pg-pool before, but have a feeling
that it can re-write queries on the fly so must have some non-trivial
protocol knowledge--I may be wrong about that though.

Allowing multiple users/encryption keys access the same database seems
problematic; how would you allow catalogue access and enforce unique or
other constraints if the server couldn't look to see what's there.  Not
sure what you're after here though.

--  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Halliday
Дата:
On 27 Apr 2009, at 13:55, Sam Mason wrote:
> Allowing multiple users/encryption keys access the same database seems
> problematic; how would you allow catalogue access and enforce unique
> or
> other constraints if the server couldn't look to see what's there.
> Not
> sure what you're after here though.

Any valid key should have full access (i.e. this isn't about access
control). As a first approximation, a single key would do the trick.
As a more rigorous solution, there are ways to encrypt data allowing
multiple keys to decrypt.

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Halliday
Дата:
I think Sam Mason's proposal of hacking pg-pool sounds feasible. Is
there any way to create a formal RFE for this? Is anybody interested
in implementing this?

On 27 Apr 2009, at 13:55, Sam Mason wrote:
> One possible arrangement would be if each user/encryption key had its
> own database cluster.  If that's OK, then maybe you could hack pg-pool
> around so that once it received the secret it would be able to run
> off,
> mount the appropriate partitions, and start the database engine before
> connecting to it.  I've not used pg-pool before, but have a feeling
> that it can re-write queries on the fly so must have some non-trivial
> protocol knowledge--I may be wrong about that though.

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
tomas@tuxteam.de
Дата:

Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

От
Sam Halliday
Дата:
If it works without any change to client SQL queries and compatible with JPA,
then I'm all ears. Otherwise, I really think Sam Mason's idea was spot on...
it works around the inadequacies of encrypted drives and provides the same
level of on-server security.