Обсуждение: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
Guillaume Smet
Дата:
Hi,

Just to warn people that I'm making a comprehensive proof reading of
the release notes.

Here are the first comments:

- "This was available previously via a configure
--enable-integer-datetimes (Neil Conway)" -> I don't think we need
Neil's name in the details
- "New semi- and ansi-joins (Tom)" -> s/ansi/anti/
- "While semi-joins merely replace existing IN joins, anti-joins are a
new capability for NOT IN and NOT EXIST clauses (Tom) This improves
optimization possibilities." -> remove the "(Tom)", s/EXIST/EXISTS/
- "IN and EXISTs now provide similar performance for equivalent
clauses. " -> s/EXISTs/EXISTS/
- "A new constraint_exclusion setting, "partition", which matches this
behavior." -> this sentence is weird
- "Move that server statistics file into the subdirectory pg_stat_tmp"
-> s/that/the/ ? I think this item can be grouped with the following
one "Allow the location of the new pg_stat_tmp to be configured via
the stats_temp_directory setting"

I'll post the other part in a few hours.

--
Guillaume

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
Guillaume Smet
Дата:
Bruce,

Here is the second set of comments:

- pg_hba.conf: it seems to me the format has changed which may break
existing pg_hba.conf (it broke the default one of the RPM packaging).
We should make it very visible as the format hasn't changed for a
while. I suppose we'll put it at the top but I just don't want us to
forget it so I mention it here.

- "Allow recovery.conf boolean variables to take the same range of
string alues as postgresql.conf (Bruce)" -> s/alues/values/
- "Add support for Unicode sting and identifier specifications using
code points, e.g. U&'d\0061t\+000061' (Peter)"  -> s/sting/string/
- "Allow CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW to add columns to the _end_ of the
view" -> formatting problem with the underscores?
- "Previously EXPLAIN VERBOSE output an internal representation of the
query plan" -> s/output/outputs/ ?
- "Autovacuum options uses to be stored in a system table. " -> s/uses/used/ ?
- "Allows dumps to fail if unable to acquire shared table within the
specified amount of time. " -> shared lock instead of shared table?
- "Add configure option --disable-float4-byval to use the old
behavior. tgl Pass float8 and int8 by value in the server where
possible (Zoltan Boszormenyi) " -> tgl + there's a carriage return
missing (and a bullet)
- "Add -M (query mode) to /contrib/pgbench (ITAGAKI Takahiro)"
->Itagaki san's name inconsistent with other mentions of his name

I can provide a patch for all this if needed. I thought you'd prefer
validate the changes.

Really nice work and really interesting reading.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

Дата:
Guillaume Smet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just to warn people that I'm making a comprehensive proof reading of
> the release notes.
>
> Here are the first comments:
>
> - "This was available previously via a configure
> --enable-integer-datetimes (Neil Conway)" -> I don't think we need
> Neil's name in the details
> - "New semi- and ansi-joins (Tom)" -> s/ansi/anti/
> - "While semi-joins merely replace existing IN joins, anti-joins are a
> new capability for NOT IN and NOT EXIST clauses (Tom) This improves
> optimization possibilities." -> remove the "(Tom)", s/EXIST/EXISTS/
> - "IN and EXISTs now provide similar performance for equivalent
> clauses. " -> s/EXISTs/EXISTS/

Above fixed.

> - "A new constraint_exclusion setting, "partition", which matches this
> behavior." -> this sentence is weird

Yep, new wording:
      A new constraint_exclusion setting, "partition", was added to match this      behavior.

> - "Move that server statistics file into the subdirectory pg_stat_tmp"
> -> s/that/the/ ? I think this item can be grouped with the following
> one "Allow the location of the new pg_stat_tmp to be configured via
> the stats_temp_directory setting"

Agreed, new merged text:
    <listitem>     <para>      Move the server statistics file into the subdirectory pg_stat_tmp      and allow its
locationto be specified via stats_temp_directory (Magnus)     </para>

     <para>      This allows the statistics file to be placed in a RAM-resident      directory to reduce I/O
requirements. On startup/shutdown, the      file is copied to the top-level $PGDATA directory so it is preserved
betweenrestarts.     </para>    </listitem>

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

Дата:
Guillaume Smet wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Here is the second set of comments:
>
> - pg_hba.conf: it seems to me the format has changed which may break
> existing pg_hba.conf (it broke the default one of the RPM packaging).
> We should make it very visible as the format hasn't changed for a
> while. I suppose we'll put it at the top but I just don't want us to
> forget it so I mention it here.

Well we have this line:
pg_hba.conf also has extensive changes related tomigration. bjm: add markup

Do we need more?

> - "Allow recovery.conf boolean variables to take the same range of
> string alues as postgresql.conf (Bruce)" -> s/alues/values/
> - "Add support for Unicode sting and identifier specifications using
> code points, e.g. U&'d\0061t\+000061' (Peter)"  -> s/sting/string/

Above fixed.

> - "Allow CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW to add columns to the _end_ of the
> view" -> formatting problem with the underscores?

I added markup, <emphasis>.

> - "Previously EXPLAIN VERBOSE output an internal representation of the
> query plan" -> s/output/outputs/ ?

The existing wording seems correct.

> - "Autovacuum options uses to be stored in a system table. " -> s/uses/used/ ?
> - "Allows dumps to fail if unable to acquire shared table within the
> specified amount of time. " -> shared lock instead of shared table?
> - "Add configure option --disable-float4-byval to use the old
> behavior. tgl Pass float8 and int8 by value in the server where
> possible (Zoltan Boszormenyi) " -> tgl + there's a carriage return
> missing (and a bullet)
> - "Add -M (query mode) to /contrib/pgbench (ITAGAKI Takahiro)"
> ->Itagaki san's name inconsistent with other mentions of his name

Above all fixed, thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>> - "Previously EXPLAIN VERBOSE output an internal representation of the
>> query plan" -> s/output/outputs/ ?
>
> The existing wording seems correct.

I think Bruce's phrasing was in the past tense. It's a bit weird
because the verb form of "output" is a relatively recent invention and
the past tense isn't well settled. Dictionaries list both "outputted"
and "output" as past tense forms. Personally I think Bruce's "output"
sounds better than the alternative "outputted".

Perhaps "had output" would be clearer?

--
greg

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> >> - "Previously EXPLAIN VERBOSE output an internal representation of the
> >> query plan" -> s/output/outputs/ ?
> >
> > The existing wording seems correct.
>
> I think Bruce's phrasing was in the past tense. It's a bit weird
> because the verb form of "output" is a relatively recent invention and
> the past tense isn't well settled. Dictionaries list both "outputted"
> and "output" as past tense forms. Personally I think Bruce's "output"
> sounds better than the alternative "outputted".
>
> Perhaps "had output" would be clearer?

Excellent idea;  done.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
Guillaume Smet
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Guillaume Smet wrote:
>> - "Add -M (query mode) to /contrib/pgbench (ITAGAKI Takahiro)"
>> ->Itagaki san's name inconsistent with other mentions of his name
>
> Above all fixed, thanks.

I think you fixed this one the wrong way.

It should be s/ITAGAKI Takahiro/Takahiro Itagaki/g, shouldn't it?

--
Guillaume

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
Andrew Gierth
Дата:
Guillaume> - "While semi-joins merely replace existing IN joins,Guillaume> anti-joins are a new capability for NOT IN
andNOT EXISTGuillaume> clauses (Tom) This improves optimization possibilities."Guillaume> -> remove the "(Tom)",
s/EXIST/EXISTS/

Also  s/NOT IN and //  (anti-joins are not used for NOT IN due to the
awkward semantics of nulls). Should possibly also mention the fact that
some outer joins can be planned as anti-joins too.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

Дата:
Andrew Gierth wrote:

>  Guillaume> - "While semi-joins merely replace existing IN joins,
>  Guillaume> anti-joins are a new capability for NOT IN and NOT EXIST
>  Guillaume> clauses (Tom) This improves optimization possibilities."
>  Guillaume> -> remove the "(Tom)", s/EXIST/EXISTS/
>
> Also  s/NOT IN and //  (anti-joins are not used for NOT IN due to the
> awkward semantics of nulls). Should possibly also mention the fact that
> some outer joins can be planned as anti-joins too.

Thanks, text updated:
      While semi-joins merely replace existing IN joins, anti-joins      are a new capability for NOT EXISTS clauses
(Tom)This improves      optimization possibilities.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Mar 27, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Thanks, text updated:
>
>       While semi-joins merely replace existing IN joins, anti-joins
>       are a new capability for NOT EXISTS clauses (Tom) This improves
>       optimization possibilities.

I'm not enough of a relational algebra geek to really understand what
that means. Will there be a link or something to some documentation or
even, *gasp*, a blog entry explaining what this means and why it's
important?

Thanks,

David

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

Дата:
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Thanks, text updated:
> >
> >       While semi-joins merely replace existing IN joins, anti-joins
> >       are a new capability for NOT EXISTS clauses (Tom) This improves
> >       optimization possibilities.
>
> I'm not enough of a relational algebra geek to really understand what
> that means. Will there be a link or something to some documentation or
> even, *gasp*, a blog entry explaining what this means and why it's
> important?

Uh, not really;  the optimizer stuff is usually quite vague and Tom
might end update removing it once he goes over the release note anyway
(he has in the past).  I documented it because it is a user-visible
change,  I think, becuase it might show up in EXPLAIN.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

Дата:
Guillaume Smet wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Guillaume Smet wrote:
> >> - "Add -M (query mode) to /contrib/pgbench (ITAGAKI Takahiro)"
> >> ->Itagaki san's name inconsistent with other mentions of his name
> >
> > Above all fixed, thanks.
>
> I think you fixed this one the wrong way.
>
> It should be s/ITAGAKI Takahiro/Takahiro Itagaki/g, shouldn't it?

Based on mentions of his name in previous release notes, you are
correct;  change committed.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
Guillaume Smet
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Based on mentions of his name in previous release notes, you are
> correct;  change committed.

Thanks Bruce.

--
Guillaume

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

I drafted a list of major features for the release notes:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft#List_of_Major_Features_for_release_notes

See if that works for you.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

От
Itagaki Takahiro
Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> I drafted a list of major features for the release notes:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft#List_of_Major_Features_for_release_notes

s/pg_stat_functions/pg_stat_user_functions/g

BTW, why the function was named pg_stat_*user*_functions ?
even though there are no 'all' and 'sys' versions.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Bruce,
> I drafted a list of major features for the release notes:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft#List_of_Major_Features_for_release_notes
> See if that works for you.

I did a small amount of polishing of some of those descriptions.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.4 release notes proof reading 1/2

Дата:
Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> BTW, why the function was named pg_stat_*user*_functions ?
> even though there are no 'all' and 'sys' versions.

Well, it ignores built-in functions.  Naming the view that way seems
like good future-proofing to me --- maybe someday we'll think of a
sufficiently low-overhead way to offer stats for system functions too.
        regards, tom lane