Обсуждение: SIMILAR TO bug?

SIMILAR TO bug?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Folks,

Perhaps I've misunderstood this, but in PostgreSQL 8.3.5, I get
disparate results from ~ and SIMILAR TO.  For example:

This gives an unexpected result:

davidfetter@davidfetter=# SELECT 'abc' SIMILAR TO '^[a]';?column?
----------f
(1 row)

This one is what I expected.

davidfetter@davidfetter=# SELECT 'abc' ~ '^[a]';?column?
----------t
(1 row)

Did I misunderstand what SIMILAR TO does, or...?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: SIMILAR TO bug?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Perhaps I've misunderstood this, but in PostgreSQL 8.3.5, I get
> disparate results from ~ and SIMILAR TO.  For example:

Did you read the docs?  ^ is not an anchor.

Re: SIMILAR TO bug?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Perhaps I've misunderstood this, but in PostgreSQL 8.3.5, I get
> disparate results from ~ and SIMILAR TO.  For example:
>
> This gives an unexpected result:
>
> davidfetter@davidfetter=# SELECT 'abc' SIMILAR TO '^[a]';
>  ?column?
> (1 row)
>
> This one is what I expected.
>
> davidfetter@davidfetter=# SELECT 'abc' ~ '^[a]';
>  ?column?
> (1 row)
>
> Did I misunderstand what SIMILAR TO does, or...?

Well, SIMILAR TO is not the same thing as ~.  For example, ^ is not a
special character in its pattern language.