Обсуждение: syntax for reaching into records, specifically ts_stat results

syntax for reaching into records, specifically ts_stat results

От
Dan Chak
Дата:
Dear Postgres Folk,

In working with tsvectors (added in 8.3), I've come to a place where
my syntax-fu has failed me.  I've resorted to turning a result set of
records into strings so that I can regexp out the record fields I
need, rather than access them directly, as I'm sure it's possible to
do with the right syntactic formulation.  Although my solution works,
I'm sure it's much less efficient than it could be, and hope someone
on the list can help do this the right way.

Basically, I would like to transpose a series of tsvectors (one per
row) into columns.  E.g., as tsvects, I have this:

test=# select * from tsvects; sentence_id |            tsvect
-------------+------------------------------           1 | 'fox':3 'brown':2 'quick':1           2 | 'lazi':1 'eleph':3
'green':2

Instead I want this:
 sentence_id | word  | freq
-------------+-------+------           1 | fox   | 1           1 | brown | 1           1 | quick | 1           2 | lazi
| 1           2 | eleph | 1           2 | green | 1

I am able to generate this with the following view, but the problem is
that to create it, I must first cast the ts_stat results to a string,
and then regexp out the pertinent pieces:

create or replace view words as
select sentence_id,       substring(stat from '^\\(([^,]+),') as word,       substring(stat from ',([^,]+)\\)$') as
freq from (select sentence_id,               ts_stat('select tsvect from tsvects where sentence_id

= ' ||                  tsvects.sentence_id)::text as stat          from tsvects       ) as foo;

It seems like there should be a way to access fields in the records
returned from ts_stat directly, but I can't figure out how.  Here's
the result of the subquery:

test=# select sentence_id,               ts_stat('select tsvect from tsvects where sentence_id
= ' ||                  tsvects.sentence_id)::text as stat          from tsvects; sentence_id |    stat
-------------+-------------           1 | (fox,1,1)           1 | (brown,1,1)           1 | (quick,1,1)           2 |
(lazi,1,1)          2 | (eleph,1,1)           2 | (green,1,1)

(6 rows)

If I try to get at the elements (which I believe are named 'word',
'ndoc', 'nentry'), I get a variety of syntax errors:

test=# select sentence_id,
test-#        stat['word'],
test-#        stat['nentry']
test-#   from (select sentence_id,
test(#                ts_stat('select tsvect from tsvects where
sentence_id = ' ||
test(#                   tsvects.sentence_id) as stat
test(#           from tsvects
test(#        ) as foo;
ERROR:  cannot subscript type record because it is not an array

If I say stat.word (instead of subscripting), I get 'missing FROM-
clause entry for table "stat"'.  If I say foo.stat.word, I get
'ERROR:  schema "foo" does not exist'.

Any ideas on how to get into these records with resorting to text
parsing?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: syntax for reaching into records, specifically ts_stat results

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
try
select * from ts_stat(....)
btw, performance of ts_stat() was greatly improved in 8.4.

Oleg
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Dan Chak wrote:

> [...]
> (6 rows)
>
> If I try to get at the elements (which I believe are named 'word', 'ndoc',
> 'nentry'), I get a variety of syntax errors:
>
> test=# select sentence_id,
> test-#        stat['word'],
> test-#        stat['nentry']
> test-#   from (select sentence_id,
> test(#                ts_stat('select tsvect from tsvects where sentence_id =
> ' ||
> test(#                   tsvects.sentence_id) as stat
> test(#           from tsvects
> test(#        ) as foo;
> ERROR:  cannot subscript type record because it is not an array
>
> If I say stat.word (instead of subscripting), I get 'missing FROM-clause
> entry for table "stat"'.  If I say foo.stat.word, I get 'ERROR:  schema "foo"
> does not exist'.
>
> Any ideas on how to get into these records with resorting to text parsing?

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: syntax for reaching into records, specifically ts_stat results

Дата:
Dan Chak <chak@MIT.EDU> writes:
> If I say stat.word (instead of subscripting), I get 'missing FROM-
> clause entry for table "stat"'.  If I say foo.stat.word, I get
> 'ERROR:  schema "foo" does not exist'.

I think the syntax you need is (stat).word etc.  See "Field Selection"
here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-expressions.html#AEN1679
The reason for the parens is exactly to distinguish whether the leading
word is a table or column name.
        regards, tom lane

Re: syntax for reaching into records, specifically ts_stat results

От
Dan Chak
Дата:
Oleg,

This syntax works fine until I also want to get the "sentence_id"
column in there as well, so that I can differentiate one set of
ts_stat results from another.  With the syntax where ts_stat is
treated like a table, it isn't possible to run ts_stat separately on
multiple tsvectors as I'm doing below.

Is there some generic record access syntax that I can use?

Thanks,
Dan

On Dec 9, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> [...]
>> test(#           from tsvects
>> test(#        ) as foo;
>> ERROR:  cannot subscript type record because it is not an array
>>
>> If I say stat.word (instead of subscripting), I get 'missing FROM-
>> clause entry for table "stat"'.  If I say foo.stat.word, I get
>> 'ERROR:  schema "foo" does not exist'.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get into these records with resorting to text
>> parsing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>>

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: syntax for reaching into records, specifically ts_stat results

Дата:
That works perfectly!

Thanks,
Dan

On Dec 9, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Dan Chak <chak@MIT.EDU> writes:
>> If I say stat.word (instead of subscripting), I get 'missing FROM-
>> clause entry for table "stat"'.  If I say foo.stat.word, I get
>> 'ERROR:  schema "foo" does not exist'.
>
> I think the syntax you need is (stat).word etc.  See "Field Selection"
> here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-expressions.html#AEN1679
> The reason for the parens is exactly to distinguish whether the
> leading
> word is a table or column name.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: syntax for reaching into records, specifically ts_stat results

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Dan Chak wrote:

> Oleg,
>
> This syntax works fine until I also want to get the "sentence_id" column in
> there as well, so that I can differentiate one set of ts_stat results from
> another.  With the syntax where ts_stat is treated like a table, it isn't
> possible to run ts_stat separately on multiple tsvectors as I'm doing below.
>
> Is there some generic record access syntax that I can use?

write function

> [...]
>>> ERROR:  cannot subscript type record because it is not an array
>>>
>>> If I say stat.word (instead of subscripting), I get 'missing FROM-clause
>>> entry for table "stat"'.  If I say foo.stat.word, I get 'ERROR:  schema
>>> "foo" does not exist'.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to get into these records with resorting to text parsing?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dan
>>>

>>     Regards,
>>         Oleg
>> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
>> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
>> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: syntax for reaching into records, specifically ts_stat results

Дата:
ok, here is a function ( credits to Teodor )

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION ts_stat(tsvector, OUT word text, OUT ndoc
integer, OUT nentry integer)
RETURNS SETOF record AS
$$    SELECT ts_stat('SELECT ' || quote_literal( $1::text ) || '::tsvector');
$$ LANGUAGE SQL RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT IMMUTABLE;

use it like
 select id, (ts_stat(fts)).* from apod where id=1;

Oleg