Обсуждение: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
Hot Standby patch, including all major planned features.

Allows users to connect to server in archive recovery and run queries.

Applies cleanly, passes make check.

There's no flaky code, kludges or other last minute rush-for-deadline
stuff. "It all works", though really for a patch this size and scope I
expect many bugs. As a result I am describing this as "WIP", though it
is much more than a prototype. All the code has been planned out in
advance, so there's been very little on-the-fly changes required during
final development. I'm fully committed to making all required changes
and fixes in reasonable times. I will continue detailed testing over the
next few weeks to re-check everything prior to commit.

Initially, I would ask people to spend time thinking about this
conceptually to check that I have all the correct subsystems and cater
for all the little side tweaks that exist in various parts of the server

When you test this, please do it on a server built with --enable-cassert
and keep a detailed log using trace_recovery_messages = DEBUG4 (or 2-3).

Code has been specifically designed to be performance neutral or better
for normal workloads, so the WAL volume, number of times we take WAL
locks etc should be identical (on 64-bit systems). The patch includes
further tuning of subtransaction commits, so I hope the patch may even
be a few % win on more complex workloads with many PL/pgSQL functions
using EXCEPTION. Enabling the bgwriter during recovery seems likely to
be a huge gain on performance for larger shared_buffers settings, which
should offset a considerable increase in CPU usage during recovery.

Performance test results would be appreciated
* for normal running - just to test that it really is neutral
* for recovery - if query access not used is it faster than before

Points of significant note for detailed reviewers

* Prepared transactions not implemented yet. No problems foreseen, but
want to wait to see if other refactorings are required.

* Touching every block of a btree index during a replay of VACUUM is not
yet implemented. Would like some second opinions that it is even
required. I have code prototyped for it, but it feels too wacky even
after Heikki and I agreed it was required. Do we still think that?

* locking correctness around flat file refresh still not enabled

* need some discussiona round how to handle max_connections changes
cleanly.

Overview of code changes
========================

Docs
 doc/src/sgml/config.sgml                  |   26
 doc/src/sgml/func.sgml                    |  191 +++
 src/backend/storage/buffer/README         |    9

Transaction emulation in recovery
 src/backend/access/transam/xact.c         | 1022 ++++++++++++++++++-
 src/backend/storage/ipc/procarray.c       |  868 +++++++++++++++!
 src/backend/utils/time/tqual.c            |   62 !
 src/backend/access/heap/pruneheap.c       |   18
 src/backend/access/transam/clog.c         |    3
 src/backend/access/transam/multixact.c    |   14
 src/backend/access/transam/slru.c         |   16
 src/backend/access/transam/subtrans.c     |   27
 src/backend/access/transam/twophase.c     |    4
 src/backend/access/transam/xlogutils.c    |   18
 src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c           |  110 ++
 src/include/storage/proc.h                |   15
 src/include/storage/procarray.h           |   29
 src/include/access/heapam.h               |    4
 src/include/access/htup.h                 |   18
 src/include/access/xact.h                 |   56 +
 src/include/access/xlog.h                 |   54 !
 src/include/access/xlog_internal.h        |   16
 src/include/access/xlogutils.h            |    3
 src/include/storage/bufmgr.h              |    7
 src/include/utils/snapshot.h              |   82 +

Locking and invalidation in recovery
 src/backend/utils/cache/inval.c           |  581 +++++++++++
 src/backend/access/transam/rmgr.c         |    3
 src/backend/storage/ipc/sinvaladt.c       |   10
 src/backend/storage/lmgr/lock.c           |   44
 src/backend/utils/init/flatfiles.c        |   55
 src/backend/utils/init/postinit.c         |   10
 src/include/storage/sinval.h              |   38
 src/include/storage/sinvaladt.h           |    2
 src/include/utils/flatfiles.h             |    9
 src/include/utils/inval.h                 |    4
 src/include/access/rmgr.h                 |    1

Cleanup in recovery
 src/backend/access/heap/heapam.c          |   88 +
 src/backend/commands/vacuum.c             |   29
 src/backend/commands/vacuumlazy.c         |   42

State changes and bgwriter
 src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c         | 1533 +++++++--!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 src/backend/postmaster/bgwriter.c         |  418 +-!!!!
 src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c       |   97 +
 src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c       |   58 +
 src/include/miscadmin.h                   |    6
 src/include/postmaster/bgwriter.h         |    6
 src/include/catalog/pg_control.h          |   15
 src/include/storage/pmsignal.h            |    1

Protections and commands refused
 src/backend/commands/discard.c            |    3
 src/backend/commands/indexcmds.c          |    2
 src/backend/commands/lockcmds.c           |   12
 src/backend/commands/sequence.c           |    2
 src/backend/tcop/postgres.c               |    2
 src/backend/tcop/utility.c                |   20
 src/backend/utils/adt/txid.c              |    6

New functions (in xlog.c)
 src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h             |   22

API changes knock-on effects
 src/backend/bootstrap/bootstrap.c         |    3
 src/backend/storage/freespace/freespace.c |    5
 src/bin/pg_controldata/pg_controldata.c   |    3
 src/bin/pg_resetxlog/pg_resetxlog.c       |    2

New parameters
 src/backend/utils/error/elog.c            |   17
 src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c              |   12

 src/test/regress/parallel_schedule        |    4
 src/test/regress/serial_schedule          |    2
 62 files changed, 4114 insertions(+), 139 deletions(-), 1586
modifications(!)

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
"Pavan Deolasee"
Дата:
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"> Hot Standby patch,
lazy_scan_heap()so that *all* the real work of collecting information about dead tuples happens only in
heap_page_prune().Frankly, there is only a rare chance that a tuple may become DEAD after the pruning happened on the
page.We can ignore such tuples; they will be vacuumed/pruned in the next cycle.<br /><br />This would save us a second
checkof HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum on the tuples which are just now checked in heap_page_prune(). In addition, the
followingadditional WAL records are then not necessary because heap_page_prune() must have already logged the
*be removed by any change. VACUUM proceeds in a number of passes so<br />+  * we need to consider how each pass
operates.The first pass runs<br /> +  * heap_page_prune(), which can issue XLOG_HEAP2_CLEAN records as it<br />+  *
progresses- these will have a latestRemovedXid on each record.<br />+  * In many cases this removes all of the tuples
tobe removed.<br />+  * Then we look at tuples to be removed, but do not actually remove them<br /> +  * until phase
three.However, index records for those rows are removed<br />+  * in phase two and index blocks do not have MVCC
informationattached.<br />+  * So before we can allow removal of *any* index tuples we need to issue<br /> +  * a WAL
recordindicating what the latestRemovedXid will be at the end<br />+  * of phase three. This then allows Hot Standby
queriesto block at the<br />+  * correct place, i.e. before phase two, rather than during phase three<br /> +  * as we
issuemore XLOG_HEAP2_CLEAN records. If we need to run multiple<br />+  * phase two/three because of memory constraints

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
"Pavan Deolasee"
Дата:
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"> Hot Standby patch,
thatsometimes the archiver process indefinitely waits for WALInsertLock. I haven't spent much time debugging that, but
thefollowing chunk clearly seems to be buggy. The WALInsertLock is not released if (leavingArchiveRecovery == true).<br
Computenew REDO record ptr = location of next XLOG record.<br /> !        *<br />!        * NB: this is NOT necessarily
wherethe checkpoint record itself will be,<br />!        * since other backends may insert more XLOG records while
we'reoff doing<br />!        * the buffer flush work.  Those XLOG records are logically after the<br /> !        *
checkpoint,even though physically before it.  Got that?<br />!        */<br />!       checkPoint.redo =
href="http://www.enterprisedb.com">http://www.enterprisedb.com</a><br/>

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 11:51 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> I wonder if we should refactor lazy_scan_heap() so that *all* the real
> work of collecting information about dead tuples happens only in
> heap_page_prune(). Frankly, there is only a rare chance that a tuple
> may become DEAD after the pruning happened on the page. We can ignore
> such tuples; they will be vacuumed/pruned in the next cycle.
>
> This would save us a second check of HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum on the
> tuples which are just now checked in heap_page_prune(). In addition,
> the following additional WAL records are then not necessary because
> heap_page_prune() must have already logged the latestRemovedXid.

I like this idea. I've attempted to plug every gap, but perhaps the best
way here is to remove the gap completely.

In my testing, I only saw this case happen a couple of times in many
tests. Rarely executed code gives sporadic bugs, so I would be happy to
remove it and the standby support stuff that goes with it.

I would suggest that we just remove the switch statement:switch (HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum(tuple.t_data, OldestXmin,
buf))
and alter the following if test since tupgone is also removed.
That will cause HEAPTUPLE_DEAD rows to be fed to heap_freeze_tuple().
Comments on that function claim that is a bad thing, but we know that
any row that was *not* removed by heap_page_prune() and is now dead must
have died very recently and so will never be frozen.

Let me know if you're happy with that change and I'll make it so.

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
"Pavan Deolasee"

I would suggest that we just remove the switch statement:
       switch (HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum(tuple.t_data, OldestXmin, buf))
and alter the following if test since tupgone is also removed.
That will cause HEAPTUPLE_DEAD rows to be fed to heap_freeze_tuple().
Comments on that function claim that is a bad thing, but we know that
any row that was *not* removed by heap_page_prune() and is now dead must
have died very recently and so will never be frozen.

Let me know if you're happy with that change and I'll make it so.

Yeah, I think we should be safe. We continuously hold EX lock on the buffer since the prune operation is carried out. So the only new DEAD tuples may arrive because some transaction aborted in between, changing INSERT_IN_PROGRESS tuple to DEAD. But these tuples won't pass the cutoff_xid test and should never be frozen.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee
EnterpriseDB     http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 12:03 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>         Hot Standby patch, including all major planned features.
>

> While experimenting with the patch, I noticed that sometimes the
> archiver process indefinitely waits for WALInsertLock. I haven't spent
> much time debugging that, but the following chunk clearly seems to be
> buggy. The WALInsertLock is not released if (leavingArchiveRecovery ==
> true).

Mmmm, it seems this is correct. I had to reconstruct this section of
code after recent bitrot, so it looks I introduced a bug doing that.
What I'm surprised about is that I got a similar hang myself in testing
and in my notes I have this ticked as resolved.

The fix is trivial, though I'm sorry it was there for you to find at
all.

(I assume you mean bgwriter, not archiver process).

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
"Pavan Deolasee"

(I assume you mean bgwriter, not archiver process).

Yeah, its the bgwriter, IIRC hung while taking checkpoint.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee
EnterpriseDB     http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

Дата:
"Pavan Deolasee" <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> writes:
> I wonder if we should refactor lazy_scan_heap() so that *all* the real work
> of collecting information about dead tuples happens only in
> heap_page_prune(). Frankly, there is only a rare chance that a tuple may
> become DEAD after the pruning happened on the page. We can ignore such
> tuples; they will be vacuumed/pruned in the next cycle.

> This would save us a second check of HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum on the tuples
> which are just now checked in heap_page_prune(). In addition, the following
> additional WAL records are then not necessary because heap_page_prune() must
> have already logged the latestRemovedXid.

I don't think you can do that.  Couldn't someone else have run
heap_page_prune between vacuum's first and second visit to the page?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
> "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> writes:
> > I wonder if we should refactor lazy_scan_heap() so that *all* the real work
> > of collecting information about dead tuples happens only in
> > heap_page_prune(). Frankly, there is only a rare chance that a tuple may
> > become DEAD after the pruning happened on the page. We can ignore such
> > tuples; they will be vacuumed/pruned in the next cycle.
>
> > This would save us a second check of HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum on the tuples
> > which are just now checked in heap_page_prune(). In addition, the following
> > additional WAL records are then not necessary because heap_page_prune() must
> > have already logged the latestRemovedXid.
>
> I don't think you can do that.  Couldn't someone else have run
> heap_page_prune between vacuum's first and second visit to the page?

I just looked at that in more detail and decided it was more difficult
than it first appeared. So I've left it for now.

Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

От
"Pavan Deolasee"
Дата:
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div class="Ih2E3d"><br
/></div>Idon't think you can do that.  Couldn't someone else have run<br /> heap_page_prune between vacuum's first and
weagain check for HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum ? We hold exclusive lock continuously in the first pass. So its not possible
forsomeone else to call heap_page_prune.  If its the second visit in the second heap scan, then it removes only the