Обсуждение: Optimizing COPY

Optimizing COPY

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Back in March, I played around with various hacks to improve COPY FROM
performance:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-03/msg00145.php

I got busy with other stuff, but I now got around to try what I planned
back then. I don't know if I have the time to finish this for 8.4, but
might as well post what I've got.

The basic idea is to replace the custom loop in CopyReadLineText with
memchr(), because memchr() is very fast. To make that possible, perform
the client-server encoding conversion on each raw block that we read in,
before splitting it into lines. That way CopyReadLineText only needs to
deal with server encodings, which is required for the memchr() to be safe.

Attached is a quick patch for that. Think of it as a prototype; I
haven't tested it much, and I feel that it needs some further cleanup.
Quick testing suggests that it gives 0-20% speedup, depending on the
data. Very narrow tables don't benefit much, but the wider the table,
the bigger the gain. I haven't found a case where it performs worse.

I'm only using memchr() with non-csv format at the moment. It could be
used for CSV as well, but it's more complicated because in CSV mode we
need to keep track of the escapes.

Some collateral damage:
\. no longer works. If we only accept \. on a new line, like we already
do in CSV mode, it shouldn't be hard or expensive to make it work again.
The manual already suggests that we only accept it on a single line:
"End of data can be represented by a single line containing just
backslash-period (\.)."

Escaping a linefeed or carriage return by prepending it with a backslash
no longer works. You have to use \n and \r. The manual already warns
against doing that, so I think we could easily drop support for it. If
we wanted, it wouldn't be very hard to make it work, though: after
hitting a newline, scan back and count how many backslashes there is
before the newline. An odd number means that it's an escaped newline,
even number (including 0) means it's a real newline.

For the sake of simplifying the code, would anyone care if we removed
support for COPY with protocol version 2?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas
*** src/backend/commands/copy.c

      /*
       * Finally, raw_buf holds raw data read from the data source (file or
--- 147,152 ----
***************
*** 160,165 **** typedef struct CopyStateData
--- 159,168 ----
      char       *raw_buf;
      int            raw_buf_index;    /* next byte to process */
      int            raw_buf_len;    /* total # of bytes stored */
+
+ #define MAX_CONVERSION_GROWTH 4 /* from mbutils.c */
+     char        unconverted_buf[MAX_CONVERSION_GROWTH];
+     int            unconverted_buf_len;    /* total # of bytes stored */
  } CopyStateData;

  typedef CopyStateData *CopyState;
***************
*** 248,253 **** static void CopyOneRowTo(CopyState cstate, Oid tupleOid,
--- 251,257 ----
  static void CopyFrom(CopyState cstate);
  static bool CopyReadLine(CopyState cstate);
  static bool CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate);
+ static bool CopyReadLineCSV(CopyState cstate);
  static int CopyReadAttributesText(CopyState cstate, int maxfields,
                         char **fieldvals);
  static int CopyReadAttributesCSV(CopyState cstate, int maxfields,
***************
*** 673,680 **** CopyLoadRawBuf(CopyState cstate)
      else
          nbytes = 0;                /* no data need be saved */

!     inbytes = CopyGetData(cstate, cstate->raw_buf + nbytes,
!                           1, RAW_BUF_SIZE - nbytes);
      nbytes += inbytes;
      cstate->raw_buf[nbytes] = '\0';
      cstate->raw_buf_index = 0;
--- 677,773 ----
      else
          nbytes = 0;                /* no data need be saved */

!     if (cstate->need_transcoding)
!     {
!         char       *cvt;
!         int            convertable_bytes;
!         char       *raw;
!
!         /*
!          * Read data directly to raw_buf. That way, if pg_client_to_server
!          * doesn't need to do any conversion after all, we avoid one memcpy.
!          * Prepend any unconverted bytes from the last batch first.
!          */
!         raw = cstate->raw_buf + nbytes;
!
!         memcpy(raw, cstate->unconverted_buf, cstate->unconverted_buf_len);
!
!         inbytes = CopyGetData(cstate, raw + cstate->unconverted_buf_len, 1,
!                               (RAW_BUF_SIZE - nbytes - cstate->unconverted_buf_len) / MAX_CONVERSION_GROWTH);
!         inbytes += cstate->unconverted_buf_len;
!
!         if (inbytes > 0)
!         {
!             /*
!              * Determine the number of bytes that can be converted in this
!              * batch.
!              */
!             if (cstate->client_encoding == PG_UTF8)
!             {
!                 /*
!                  * Start from the end, and backtrack to the beginning of
!                  * the last character. XXX: this should be generalized and
!                  * pushed to wchar.c. I believe we could do the same for
!                  * many other encodings too.
!                  */
!                 convertable_bytes = inbytes;
!                 while((raw[convertable_bytes - 1] & 0xC0) == 0x80 &&
!                       (inbytes - convertable_bytes) < MAX_CONVERSION_GROWTH)
!                     convertable_bytes--;
!             }
!             else if (pg_encoding_max_length(cstate->client_encoding) > 1)
!             {
!                 convertable_bytes = 0;
!                 for (;;)
!                 {
!                     int n = pg_encoding_mblen(cstate->client_encoding,
!                                               &raw[convertable_bytes]);
!
!                     if (n + convertable_bytes > inbytes)
!                         break;
!                     convertable_bytes += n;
!                 }
!             }
!             else
!                 convertable_bytes = inbytes;
!
!             if (convertable_bytes == 0)
!             {
!                 /*
!                  * EOF, and there was some unconvertable chars at the end.
!                  * Call pg_client_to_server on the remaining bytes, to
!                  * let it throw an error.
!                  */
!                 cvt = pg_client_to_server(raw, inbytes);
!                 Assert(false); /* pg_client_to_server should've errored */
!             }
!
!             /*
!              * Stash away any unconvertable bytes at the end for the next
!              * round
!              */
!             memcpy(cstate->unconverted_buf,
!                    raw + convertable_bytes,
!                    inbytes - convertable_bytes);
!
!             /* Perform conversion */
!             cvt = pg_client_to_server(raw, convertable_bytes);
!             if (cvt != raw)
!             {
!                 inbytes = strlen(cvt);
!                 memcpy(cstate->raw_buf + nbytes, cvt, inbytes);
!                 pfree(cvt);
!             }
!             else
!                 inbytes = convertable_bytes;
!         }
!     }
!     else
!     {
!         /* Read data directly to raw_buf */
!         inbytes = CopyGetData(cstate, cstate->raw_buf + nbytes,
!                               1, RAW_BUF_SIZE - nbytes);
!     }
      nbytes += inbytes;
      cstate->raw_buf[nbytes] = '\0';
      cstate->raw_buf_index = 0;
***************
*** 1120,1128 **** DoCopy(const CopyStmt *stmt, const char *queryString)
      /* Set up variables to avoid per-attribute overhead. */
      initStringInfo(&cstate->attribute_buf);
      initStringInfo(&cstate->line_buf);
-     cstate->line_buf_converted = false;
      cstate->raw_buf = (char *) palloc(RAW_BUF_SIZE + 1);
      cstate->raw_buf_index = cstate->raw_buf_len = 0;
      cstate->processed = 0;

      /*
--- 1213,1221 ----
      /* Set up variables to avoid per-attribute overhead. */
      initStringInfo(&cstate->attribute_buf);
      initStringInfo(&cstate->line_buf);
      cstate->raw_buf = (char *) palloc(RAW_BUF_SIZE + 1);
      cstate->raw_buf_index = cstate->raw_buf_len = 0;
+     cstate->unconverted_buf_len = 0;
      cstate->processed = 0;

      /*
***************
*** 1556,1583 **** copy_in_error_callback(void *arg)
          else
          {
              /* error is relevant to a particular line */
!             if (cstate->line_buf_converted || !cstate->need_transcoding)
!             {
!                 char       *lineval;

!                 lineval = limit_printout_length(cstate->line_buf.data);
!                 errcontext("COPY %s, line %d: \"%s\"",
!                            cstate->cur_relname, cstate->cur_lineno, lineval);
!                 pfree(lineval);
!             }
!             else
!             {
!                 /*
!                  * Here, the line buffer is still in a foreign encoding, and
!                  * indeed it's quite likely that the error is precisely a
!                  * failure to do encoding conversion (ie, bad data).  We dare
!                  * not try to convert it, and at present there's no way to
!                  * regurgitate it without conversion.  So we have to punt and
!                  * just report the line number.
!                  */
!                 errcontext("COPY %s, line %d",
!                            cstate->cur_relname, cstate->cur_lineno);
!             }
          }
      }
  }
--- 1649,1660 ----
          else
          {
              /* error is relevant to a particular line */
!             char       *lineval;

!             lineval = limit_printout_length(cstate->line_buf.data);
!             errcontext("COPY %s, line %d: \"%s\"",
!                        cstate->cur_relname, cstate->cur_lineno, lineval);
!             pfree(lineval);
          }
      }
  }
***************
*** 2187,2197 **** CopyReadLine(CopyState cstate)

      resetStringInfo(&cstate->line_buf);

-     /* Mark that encoding conversion hasn't occurred yet */
-     cstate->line_buf_converted = false;
-
      /* Parse data and transfer into line_buf */
!     result = CopyReadLineText(cstate);

      if (result)
      {
--- 2264,2274 ----

      resetStringInfo(&cstate->line_buf);

      /* Parse data and transfer into line_buf */
!     if (cstate->csv_mode)
!         result = CopyReadLineCSV(cstate);
!     else
!         result = CopyReadLineText(cstate);

      if (result)
      {
***************
*** 2242,2274 **** CopyReadLine(CopyState cstate)
          }
      }

!     /* Done reading the line.  Convert it to server encoding. */
!     if (cstate->need_transcoding)
      {
!         char       *cvt;

!         cvt = pg_client_to_server(cstate->line_buf.data,
!                                   cstate->line_buf.len);
!         if (cvt != cstate->line_buf.data)
          {
!             /* transfer converted data back to line_buf */
!             resetStringInfo(&cstate->line_buf);
!             appendBinaryStringInfo(&cstate->line_buf, cvt, strlen(cvt));
!             pfree(cvt);
          }
-     }

!     /* Now it's safe to use the buffer in error messages */
!     cstate->line_buf_converted = true;

      return result;
  }

  /*
!  * CopyReadLineText - inner loop of CopyReadLine for text mode
   */
  static bool
! CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate)
  {
      char       *copy_raw_buf;
      int            raw_buf_ptr;
--- 2319,2567 ----
          }
      }

!     return result;
! }
!
! /*
!  * CopyReadLineText - inner loop of CopyReadLine for text mode
!  */
! static bool
! CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate)
! {
!     char       *copy_raw_buf;
!     int            raw_buf_ptr;
!     int            prev_raw_ptr;
!     int            copy_buf_len;
!     bool        need_data = false;
!     bool        hit_eof = false;
!     bool        result = false;
!
!     /*
!      * The objective of this loop is to transfer the entire next input line
!      * into line_buf.  Hence, we only care for detecting newlines (\r and/or
!      * \n) and the end-of-copy marker (\.).
!      *
!      * For speed, we try to move data from raw_buf to line_buf in chunks
!      * rather than one character at a time.  raw_buf_ptr points to the next
!      * character to examine; any characters from raw_buf_index to raw_buf_ptr
!      * have been determined to be part of the line, but not yet transferred to
!      * line_buf.
!      *
!      * For a little extra speed within the loop, we copy raw_buf and
!      * raw_buf_len into local variables.
!      */
!     copy_raw_buf = cstate->raw_buf;
!     raw_buf_ptr = cstate->raw_buf_index;
!     copy_buf_len = cstate->raw_buf_len;
!
!     for (;;)
      {
!         char c;
!         char *cc;
!
!         /*
!          * Load more data if needed.  Ideally we would just force four bytes
!          * of read-ahead and avoid the many calls to
!          * IF_NEED_REFILL_AND_NOT_EOF_CONTINUE(), but the COPY_OLD_FE protocol
!          * does not allow us to read too far ahead or we might read into the
!          * next data, so we read-ahead only as far we know we can.    One
!          * optimization would be to read-ahead four byte here if
!          * cstate->copy_dest != COPY_OLD_FE, but it hardly seems worth it,
!          * considering the size of the buffer.
!          */
!         if (raw_buf_ptr >= copy_buf_len || need_data)
!         {
!             REFILL_LINEBUF;
!
!             /*
!              * Try to read some more data.    This will certainly reset
!              * raw_buf_index to zero, and raw_buf_ptr must go with it.
!              */
!             if (!CopyLoadRawBuf(cstate))
!                 hit_eof = true;
!             raw_buf_ptr = 0;
!             copy_buf_len = cstate->raw_buf_len;
!
!             /*
!              * If we are completely out of data, break out of the loop,
!              * reporting EOF.
!              */
!             if (copy_buf_len <= 0)
!             {
!                 result = true;
!                 break;
!             }
!             need_data = false;
!
!             /* Validate input */
!             if (cstate->eol_type == EOL_NL)
!             {
!                 if (memchr(©_raw_buf[raw_buf_ptr], '\r',
!                            copy_buf_len - raw_buf_ptr) != NULL)
!                 {
!                     ereport(ERROR,
!                             (errcode(ERRCODE_BAD_COPY_FILE_FORMAT),
!                              errmsg("literal carriage return found in data"),
!                              errhint("Use \"\\r\" to represent carriage return.")));
!
!                 }
!             }
!             if (cstate->eol_type == EOL_CR)
!             {
!                 if (memchr(©_raw_buf[raw_buf_ptr], '\n',
!                            copy_buf_len - raw_buf_ptr) != NULL)
!                 {
!                     ereport(ERROR,
!                             (errcode(ERRCODE_BAD_COPY_FILE_FORMAT),
!                              errmsg("literal newline found in data"),
!                              errhint("Use \"\\n\" to represent newline.")));

!                 }
!             }
!             /* CRLN mode is handled below */
!         }
!
!         /* Look for the first CR or LF */
!         if (cstate->eol_type == EOL_UNKNOWN)
          {
!             char *nl,
!                  *cr;
!
!             nl = memchr(©_raw_buf[raw_buf_ptr], '\n',
!                         copy_buf_len - raw_buf_ptr);
!             if (nl == NULL)
!                 nl = ©_raw_buf[copy_buf_len];
!
!             cr = memchr(©_raw_buf[raw_buf_ptr], '\r',
!                         copy_buf_len - raw_buf_ptr);
!             if (cr == NULL)
!                 cr = ©_raw_buf[copy_buf_len];
!
!             if (nl < cr)
!             {
!                 raw_buf_ptr = nl - copy_raw_buf + 1;
!
!                 cstate->eol_type = EOL_NL;
!
!                 /* If reach here, we have found the line terminator */
!                 break;
!             }
!             if (cr < nl)
!             {
!                 prev_raw_ptr = cr - copy_raw_buf;
!                 raw_buf_ptr = prev_raw_ptr + 1;
!
!                 /*
!                  * If need more data, go back to loop top to load it.
!                  *
!                  * Note that if we are at EOF, c will wind up as '\0' because
!                  * of the guaranteed pad of raw_buf.
!                  */
!                 IF_NEED_REFILL_AND_NOT_EOF_CONTINUE(0);
!
!                 /* get next char */
!                 c = copy_raw_buf[raw_buf_ptr];
!
!                 if (c == '\n')
!                 {
!                     raw_buf_ptr++;        /* eat newline */
!                     cstate->eol_type = EOL_CRNL;        /* in case not set yet */
!                 }
!                 else
!                 {
!                     /* found \r, but no \n */
!                     /*
!                      * if we got here, it is the first line and we didn't find
!                      * \n, so don't consume the peeked character
!                      */
!                     cstate->eol_type = EOL_CR;
!                 }
!             }
!             /* If reach here, we have found the line terminator */
!             break;
          }

!         /* OK to fetch a character */
!         Assert(cstate->eol_type != EOL_UNKNOWN);
!
!         if (cstate->eol_type == EOL_NL)
!         {
!             cc = memchr(©_raw_buf[raw_buf_ptr], '\n',
!                         copy_buf_len - raw_buf_ptr);
!             if (cc == NULL)
!             {
!                 raw_buf_ptr = copy_buf_len;
!                 continue;
!             }
!             raw_buf_ptr = cc - copy_raw_buf + 1;
!             /* If reach here, we have found the line terminator */
!             break;
!         }
!         else
!         {
!             cc = memchr(©_raw_buf[raw_buf_ptr], '\r',
!                         copy_buf_len - raw_buf_ptr);
!             if (cc == NULL)
!             {
!                 raw_buf_ptr = copy_buf_len;
!                 continue;
!             }
!             prev_raw_ptr = cc - copy_raw_buf;
!             raw_buf_ptr = prev_raw_ptr + 1;
!
!             if (cstate->eol_type == EOL_CRNL)
!             {
!                 /*
!                  * If need more data, go back to loop top to load it.
!                  *
!                  * Note that if we are at EOF, c will wind up as '\0' because
!                  * of the guaranteed pad of raw_buf.
!                  */
!                 IF_NEED_REFILL_AND_NOT_EOF_CONTINUE(0);
!
!                 /* ensure that there's no stray newlines before the CR */
!                 if (memchr(©_raw_buf[cstate->raw_buf_index], '\n',
!                            copy_buf_len - cstate->raw_buf_index) != NULL)
!                 {
[...]
!     }                            /* end of outer loop */
!
!     /*
!      * Transfer any still-uncopied data to line_buf.
!      */
!     REFILL_LINEBUF;

      return result;
  }

  /*
!  * CopyReadLineCSV - inner loop of CopyReadLine for CSV mode
   */
  static bool
! CopyReadLineCSV(CopyState cstate)
  {
      char       *copy_raw_buf;
      int            raw_buf_ptr;
***************
*** 2276,2282 **** CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate)
      bool        need_data = false;
      bool        hit_eof = false;
      bool        result = false;
-     char        mblen_str[2];

      /* CSV variables */
      bool        first_char_in_line = true;
--- 2569,2574 ----
***************
*** 2285,2291 **** CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate)
      char        quotec = '\0';
      char        escapec = '\0';

-     if (cstate->csv_mode)
      {
          quotec = cstate->quote[0];
          escapec = cstate->escape[0];
--- 2577,2582 ----
***************
*** 2294,2301 **** CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate)
              escapec = '\0';
      }

-     mblen_str[1] = '\0';
-
      /*
       * The objective of this loop is to transfer the entire next input line
       * into line_buf.  Hence, we only care for detecting newlines (\r and/or
--- 2585,2590 ----
***************
*** 2365,2371 **** CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate)
          prev_raw_ptr = raw_buf_ptr;
          c = copy_raw_buf[raw_buf_ptr++];

-         if (cstate->csv_mode)
          {
              /*
               * If character is '\\' or '\r', we may need to look ahead below.
--- 2654,2659 ----
***************
*** 2407,2413 **** CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate)
          }

          /* Process \r */
!         if (c == '\r' && (!cstate->csv_mode || !in_quote))
          {
              /* Check for \r\n on first line, _and_ handle \r\n. */
              if (cstate->eol_type == EOL_UNKNOWN ||
--- 2695,2701 ----
          }

          /* Process \r */
!         if (c == '\r' && !in_quote)
          {
              /* Check for \r\n on first line, _and_ handle \r\n. */
              if (cstate->eol_type == EOL_UNKNOWN ||
***************
*** 2593,2617 **** CopyReadLineText(CopyState cstate)
           * value, while in non-CSV mode, \. cannot be a data value.
           */
  not_end_of_copy:
-
-         /*
-          * Process all bytes of a multi-byte character as a group.
-          *
-          * We only support multi-byte sequences where the first byte has the
-          * high-bit set, so as an optimization we can avoid this block
-          * entirely if it is not set.
-          */
-         if (cstate->encoding_embeds_ascii && IS_HIGHBIT_SET(c))
-         {
-             int            mblen;
-
-             mblen_str[0] = c;
-             /* All our encodings only read the first byte to get the length */
-             mblen = pg_encoding_mblen(cstate->client_encoding, mblen_str);
-             IF_NEED_REFILL_AND_NOT_EOF_CONTINUE(mblen - 1);
-             IF_NEED_REFILL_AND_EOF_BREAK(mblen - 1);
-             raw_buf_ptr += mblen - 1;
-         }
          first_char_in_line = false;
      }                            /* end of outer loop */

--- 2881,2886 ----
***************
*** 2623,2628 **** not_end_of_copy:
--- 2892,2898 ----
      return result;
  }

+
  /*
   *    Return decimal value for a hexadecimal digit
   */

Re: Optimizing COPY

Дата:
> The basic idea is to replace the custom loop in CopyReadLineText with
> memchr(), because memchr() is very fast. To make that possible, perform
> the client-server encoding conversion on each raw block that we read in,
> before splitting it into lines. That way CopyReadLineText only needs to
> deal with server encodings, which is required for the memchr() to be safe.

Okay, so of course the trick with that is the block boundary handling.
The protocol says the client can break the data apart however it likes.
I see you've tried to deal with that, but this part seems wrong:

> !             if (convertable_bytes == 0)
> !             {
> !                 /*
> !                  * EOF, and there was some unconvertable chars at the end.
> !                  * Call pg_client_to_server on the remaining bytes, to
> !                  * let it throw an error.
> !                  */
> !                 cvt = pg_client_to_server(raw, inbytes);
> !                 Assert(false); /* pg_client_to_server should've errored */
> !             }

You're not (AFAICS) definitely at EOF here; you might just have gotten
a pathologically short message.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Optimizing COPY

От
"Robert Haas"
Дата:
Heikki,

I was assigned as a round-robin reviewer for this patch, but it looks
to me like it is still WIP, so I'm not sure how much effort it's worth
putting in at this point.  Do you plan to finish this for 8.4, and if
so, should I wait for the next version before reviewing further?

Thanks,

...Robert

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Back in March, I played around with various hacks to improve COPY FROM
> performance:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-03/msg00145.php
>
> I got busy with other stuff, but I now got around to try what I planned back
> then. I don't know if I have the time to finish this for 8.4, but might as
> well post what I've got.
>
> The basic idea is to replace the custom loop in CopyReadLineText with
> memchr(), because memchr() is very fast. To make that possible, perform the
> client-server encoding conversion on each raw block that we read in, before
> splitting it into lines. That way CopyReadLineText only needs to deal with
> server encodings, which is required for the memchr() to be safe.
>
> Attached is a quick patch for that. Think of it as a prototype; I haven't
> tested it much, and I feel that it needs some further cleanup. Quick testing
> suggests that it gives 0-20% speedup, depending on the data. Very narrow
> tables don't benefit much, but the wider the table, the bigger the gain. I
> haven't found a case where it performs worse.
>
> I'm only using memchr() with non-csv format at the moment. It could be used
> for CSV as well, but it's more complicated because in CSV mode we need to
> keep track of the escapes.
>
> Some collateral damage:
> \. no longer works. If we only accept \. on a new line, like we already do
> in CSV mode, it shouldn't be hard or expensive to make it work again. The
> manual already suggests that we only accept it on a single line: "End of
> data can be represented by a single line containing just backslash-period
> (\.)."
>
> Escaping a linefeed or carriage return by prepending it with a backslash no
> longer works. You have to use \n and \r. The manual already warns against
> doing that, so I think we could easily drop support for it. If we wanted, it
> wouldn't be very hard to make it work, though: after hitting a newline, scan
> back and count how many backslashes there is before the newline. An odd
> number means that it's an escaped newline, even number (including 0) means
> it's a real newline.
>
> For the sake of simplifying the code, would anyone care if we removed
> support for COPY with protocol version 2?
>
> --
>  Heikki Linnakangas
>  EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Optimizing COPY

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:
> Heikki,
>
> I was assigned as a round-robin reviewer for this patch, but it looks
> to me like it is still WIP, so I'm not sure how much effort it's worth
> putting in at this point.  Do you plan to finish this for 8.4, and if
> so, should I wait for the next version before reviewing further?

I'd really like to work on this to get it into 8.4, but being honest to
myself, I don't think I have the time to finish and benchmark it. I'm
swamped with reviewing other's patches, as well as with non-PG-related
work. I have some work to do on my visibility map patch too, which seems
more important.

Re: Optimizing COPY

От
Chuck McDevitt
Дата:
What if the block of text is split in the middle of a multibyte character?
I don't think it is safe to assume raw blocks always end on a character boundary.

Re: Optimizing COPY

Дата:
> I'd really like to work on this to get it into 8.4, but being honest to
> myself, I don't think I have the time to finish and benchmark it. I'm
> swamped with reviewing other's patches, as well as with non-PG-related
> work. I have some work to do on my visibility map patch too, which seems
> more important.

Agreed, you should get the visibility map done first.  The copy hack is
just a marginal thing; partial vacuums would be game-changing.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Optimizing COPY

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Chuck McDevitt wrote:
> What if the block of text is split in the middle of a multibyte character?
> I don't think it is safe to assume raw blocks always end on a character boundary.

Yeah, it's not. I realized myself after submitting. The generic approach
is to loop with pg_mblen() to find out the max. safe length. For UTF-8,
and probably many other multi-byte encodings as well, we can detect
whether a byte is the first byte of a multi-byte character, just by
looking at the few high-bits of the byte.