Обсуждение: contrib/pg_stat_statements

contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Hello,

Postgres has configurations to log statements into server logs, but there
are few convenience ways to summarize the logs as a view. Some external
projects like pgFouine or PQA have the functionality, but they consume
much CPU resources and cannot summarize in real-time -- summarize-time
is longer than write-time of the logs in heavily loads.

I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module, that counts up
incoming statements in shared memory and summarizes the result as a view.
It is just a statements-version of pg_stat_user_functions.

Information collected by the view are:
  - query string
  - total_time and cpu_time
  - buffer access (gets, reads, writes, local reads and local writes)
  - number of rows retrieved or affected
(There is a sample output in sgml in the attached tarball.)

I attach WIP version of the module. auto_explain.patch is also required
because the module uses a new version DefineCustomVariable.
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20081009165157.9BE4.52131E4D@oss.ntt.co.jp
The module allocates fixed share memory at the server start and store
statements statistics in it. On out of memory, least recently used
statements are discarded.

Comments and suggenstions welcome!

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Вложения

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Oct 11, 2008, at 4:05 AM, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module, that counts up
> incoming statements in shared memory and summarizes the result as a
> view.
> It is just a statements-version of pg_stat_user_functions.

Awesome!

> I attach WIP version of the module. auto_explain.patch is also
> required
> because the module uses a new version DefineCustomVariable.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/
> 20081009165157.9BE4.52131E4D@oss.ntt.co.jp
> The module allocates fixed share memory at the server start and store
> statements statistics in it. On out of memory, least recently used
> statements are discarded.

How hard would it be to dump this information to a table, or some
other more-permanent form of storage? Of course there would need to
be some means of cleaning that up over time, but if it's a simple
table you can DELETE from, we could put the burden on the users to do
that on occasion (I believe Oracle does something similar). It would
also be good to periodically save everything to the table so that
data wasn't completely lost on a crash.

I'm concerned because ISTM that in a high velocity environment you'd
over-run shared memory pretty quickly if you had a lot of different
queries you were running.

Of course, someone could always just setup a cron job to grab the
stats once a minute, so if this greatly complicates the patch I
wouldn't worry about it.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:

> How hard would it be to dump this information to a table, or some
> other more-permanent form of storage? Of course there would need to
> be some means of cleaning that up over time, but if it's a simple
> table you can DELETE from, we could put the burden on the users to do
> that on occasion (I believe Oracle does something similar). It would
> also be good to periodically save everything to the table so that
> data wasn't completely lost on a crash.

I had tried to use a normal table for store stats information,
but several acrobatic hacks are needed to keep performance.

We need to avoid using normal UPDATEs to increment counters
because it requires row-level exclusive locks and kills concurrency.
My idea was modifying heap tuples directly in pages:
   buffer = ReadBuffer(stats_rel, blknum);   LockBuffer(buffer, BUFFER_LOCK_EXCLUSIVE);   htup =
PageGetItem(BufferGetPage(buffer),itemid);   statobj = ((char *) htup + htup->t_hoff);   statobj->calls++;
LockBuffer(buffer,BUFFER_LOCK_UNLOCK);

It seemed to work in my test, but of course it is too dangerous.
(If we had supported ISAM-like storage engine, we might use it here.)

Another idea is saving stats information into a file at the stop of server.
Server crashes are still problem, but we keep statistics after server restart.
However, there is no callback at the end of server for plugins.
_PG_fini is not called at shutdown; it is only called at re-LOAD.

Hmmm... can I use on_shmem_exit() for the purpose?
i.e,    on_shmem_exit( save_stats_to_file_if_i_am_postmaster )

> I'm concerned because ISTM that in a high velocity environment you'd
> over-run shared memory pretty quickly if you had a lot of different
> queries you were running.

It might be good to ignore queries using simple protocol, but I'm
not sure how to distinguish them from extended or prepared queries.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:

> We need to avoid using normal UPDATEs to increment counters
> because it requires row-level exclusive locks and kills concurrency.
> My idea was modifying heap tuples directly in pages:
>
>     buffer = ReadBuffer(stats_rel, blknum);
>     LockBuffer(buffer, BUFFER_LOCK_EXCLUSIVE);
>     htup = PageGetItem(BufferGetPage(buffer), itemid);
>     statobj = ((char *) htup + htup->t_hoff);
>     statobj->calls++;
>     LockBuffer(buffer, BUFFER_LOCK_UNLOCK);
>
> It seemed to work in my test, but of course it is too dangerous.
> (If we had supported ISAM-like storage engine, we might use it here.)

heap_inplace_update?

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> > My idea was modifying heap tuples directly in pages:
>
> heap_inplace_update?

It writes WAL. I don't think we need WAL here,
and it is enough to write out pages every checkpoints.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
"Vladimir Sitnikov"
Дата:
Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:

I had tried to use a normal table for store stats information,
but several acrobatic hacks are needed to keep performance.
I guess it is not really required to synchronize the stats into some physical table immediately.
I would suggest keeping all the data in memory, and having a job that periodically dumps snapshots into physical tables (with WAL etc).
In that case one would be able to compute database workload as a difference between two given snapshots. From my point of view, it does not look like a performance killer to have snapshots every 15 minutes. It does not look too bad to get the statistics of last 15 minutes lost in case of database crash either.

Regards,
Vladimir Sitnikov

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module, that counts up
> incoming statements in shared memory and summarizes the result as a view.
> It is just a statements-version of pg_stat_user_functions.

Sounds very good, but why contrib and not along with the rest of the
stats stuff in the main backend (with an on/off switch if the overhead
is high)?

//Magnus

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> > I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module
>
> Sounds very good, but why contrib and not along with the rest of the
> stats stuff in the main backend (with an on/off switch if the overhead
> is high)?

That's because it could be done as a contrib module ;-)
(Yeah! Postgres is a very extensible database!)

I'm not sure what should be in the main and what should not.
Why is pg_freespacemap still in contrib?

I think the module is not mature yet and users will want to
modify it to their satisfaction. It will be easier if the
module is separated from the core codes. (The same can be
said for contrib/auto_explan, which is my other proposal.)

Now I'm working on storing statistics into disks on server
shutdown. If it is impossible unless the module is in core,
I would change my policy...

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>>> I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module
>> Sounds very good, but why contrib and not along with the rest of the
>> stats stuff in the main backend (with an on/off switch if the overhead
>> is high)?
>
> That's because it could be done as a contrib module ;-)
> (Yeah! Postgres is a very extensible database!)

It can also go as a pgfoundry project, no? ;-)

Given that making it a contrib module instead of core will significantly
decrease the exposure, I personally consider that a bad thing..

> I'm not sure what should be in the main and what should not.
> Why is pg_freespacemap still in contrib?

I don't know, why is it? :-)

> I think the module is not mature yet and users will want to
> modify it to their satisfaction. It will be easier if the
> module is separated from the core codes. (The same can be
> said for contrib/auto_explan, which is my other proposal.)

Yes, that is a reasonable argument for keeping it in contrib. Or perhaps
even better, on pgFoundry until it is ready.

//Magnus

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure what should be in the main and what should not.
>> Why is pg_freespacemap still in contrib?
>
> I don't know, why is it? :-)

I guess that was a joke, given the smiley, but I'll bite:

1. pg_freespacemap is intimately tied to the implementation of the FSM.
It was completely overhauled in the FSM rewrite, and there's no
guarantee it won't change again in the future to reflect changes in the
FSM implementation. And if it does, we won't bother to provide an easy
upgrade path, so existing queries using it will brake. For the same
reason it's in contrib and not pgFoundry: it's very dependent on the
server version.

2. It's not useful for the general public.

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Martin Pihlak
Дата:
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module, that counts up
> incoming statements in shared memory and summarizes the result as a view.
> It is just a statements-version of pg_stat_user_functions.

Nice work! There is one feature I'd like to request -- we need to be able
to also track nested statements. This would greatly simplify diagnosing
performance problems in complex stored procedures. Perhaps the GUC
track_statements could be made an enum - none, top, all?

PS. Similar feature would be useful for auto-explain as well.

regards,
Martin

pg_stat_statements in core

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
I wrote:
> Now I'm working on storing statistics into disks on server
> shutdown. If it is impossible unless the module is in core,
> I would change my policy...

I reconsidered this part and found that pg_stat_statements needs to be
in core to write stats in file on server shutdown because:
 1. shared_preload_libraries are only loaded in postmaster and backends. 2. Postmaster should write stats file because
itis the only process    that knows when to shutdown. 3. Postmaster cannot attach shared memory which contains
statementstats    because it cannot acquire LWLocks at all.

My next plan is put pg_stat_statements into core and treat it just like as
freespacemap in 8.3 or before. Stats file is read by bootstrap process and
written down by bgwriter process. All of the codes in pg_stat_statements
will be merged into pgstat.c and some of interface functions will be called
from ExecutorRun instead of using ExecutorRun_hook.

If no objections, I'll go ahead in the direction.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Oct 17, 2008, at 4:30 AM, Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:
> Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:
>
> I had tried to use a normal table for store stats information,
> but several acrobatic hacks are needed to keep performance.
> I guess it is not really required to synchronize the stats into
> some physical table immediately.
> I would suggest keeping all the data in memory, and having a job
> that periodically dumps snapshots into physical tables (with WAL etc).
> In that case one would be able to compute database workload as a
> difference between two given snapshots. From my point of view, it
> does not look like a performance killer to have snapshots every 15
> minutes. It does not look too bad to get the statistics of last 15
> minutes lost in case of database crash either.

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. I agree that trying to write
to a real table for every counter update would be insane.

My thought was to treat the shared memory area as a buffer of stats
counters. When you go to increment a counter, if it's not in the
buffer then you'd read it out of the table, stick it in the buffer
and increment it. As items age, they'd get pushed out of the buffer.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: pg_stat_statements in core

Дата:
ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
>> Now I'm working on storing statistics into disks on server
>> shutdown. If it is impossible unless the module is in core,
>> I would change my policy...

I'm really not happy with a proposal to put such a feature in core.
Once it's in core we'll have pretty strong backwards-compatibility
constraints to meet, and I don't think you are anywhere near being
able to demonstrate that you have a solid API that won't require
changes.  It needs to be a contrib or pgfoundry package for awhile,
to shake out feature issues in a context where users will understand
the API is subject to change.  (As an example of why I'm skittish
about this: just a few days ago someone was complaining about the
plans to get rid of pg_autovacuum, despite the fact that it's been
clearly documented as subject to change or removal since day one.
People expect stability in core features.)

It seems to me that all you're really missing is a shutdown hook
someplace, which would be a reasonable core addition.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_stat_statements in core

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> It needs to be a contrib or pgfoundry package for awhile,
> to shake out feature issues in a context where users will understand
> the API is subject to change.

Agreed. That is what I want to do at first.

> It seems to me that all you're really missing is a shutdown hook
> someplace, which would be a reasonable core addition.

A shutdown hook is probably not needed because I can use proc_exit()
or shmem_exit() for the purpose.

- On Windows, shared_preload_libraries will be loaded not only by postmaster and backends but also by auxiliary
processes.(I think it is also required by rmgr hooks.)

- Add a function BgWriterIAm() to export a variable am_bg_writer. It is used for dumping stats data on shutdown as
following:  on_proc_exit( dump_stats_if_BgWriterIAm );

- It might be cleaner to add a callback function on_startup(). Registered functions are called by startup process after
REDO.It is used for loading stats data, but is not always necessary because the first user of the module can load the
data.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com> wrote:

> ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> > I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module
> >
> Nice work! There is one feature I'd like to request -- we need to be able
> to also track nested statements. This would greatly simplify diagnosing
> performance problems in complex stored procedures. Perhaps the GUC
> track_statements could be made an enum - none, top, all?

I tried your request, but found it's hard to determine query text
where the executing plan comes. We can get the query text from
ActivePortal->sourceText only for top statements. Stored procedures
doesn't use portals and uses executor directly.

It might be possbile to add a queryText field into QueryDesc
and all of the codes using QueryDesc initialize the field with
their own query texts, but it requires modifications in many
different modules and copying query text might be needed.
I don't want to do it only for this contrib module,
so I'll support only top statements at the moment. Sorry.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

contrib/pg_stat_statements v2

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Here is an updated version of contrib/pg_stat_statements module.

I wrote:
> A shutdown hook is probably not needed because I can use proc_exit()
> or shmem_exit() for the purpose.

I added shutdown hook eventually because MyProc has been reset already
in on_shmem_exit(). A callback that resets MyProc is registered to
on_shmem_exit after shared_preload_libraries are loaded and callbacks
are called in order of LIFO.

Attached files are:

* startup+shutdown_hooks-1027.patch
    The patch modifies corecode in the 3 points:
     - startup_hook:
        Called on server startup by startup process
        where LoadFreeSpaceMap() in 8.3 had been called.
     - shutdown_hook:
        Called on server shutdown by bgwriter
        where DumpFreeSpaceMap() in 8.3 had been called.
     - shared_preload_libraries are loaded by auxiliary processes:
        Windows port requires it.

* pg_stat_statements-1027.tgz
    The pg_stat_statements contrib module. It requires patches
    startup+shutdown_hooks-1027.patch (above) and auto_explain.patch
    ( http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20081009165157.9BE4.52131E4D@oss.ntt.co.jp ) .

    Now it dumps statistics into file at server shutdown and load it
    at the next restart. The default path of the saved file is
    'global/pg_stat_statements.dump'.

* pgstatstatements.sgml
    Documentation of the module.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Вложения

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 17:00 +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> > > I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module
> > >
> > Nice work! There is one feature I'd like to request -- we need to be able
> > to also track nested statements. This would greatly simplify diagnosing
> > performance problems in complex stored procedures. Perhaps the GUC
> > track_statements could be made an enum - none, top, all?
>
> I tried your request, but found it's hard to determine query text
> where the executing plan comes.

Are you sure you need query _text_ ?

Why not just aggregate on function OID and reslve OID to text only at
display stage ?

----------------
Hannu

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:

> > Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > we need to be able to also track nested statements.
> >
> > I tried your request, but found it's hard to determine query text
> > where the executing plan comes.
>
> Are you sure you need query _text_ ?
> Why not just aggregate on function OID and reslve OID to text only at
> display stage ?

He wants to track pieces of functions.
Function OID and *positions in the source text* would be needed.
Per-function tracking is already done in pg_stat_user_functions,
that uses function OIDs.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Martin Pihlak
Дата:
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> It might be possbile to add a queryText field into QueryDesc
> and all of the codes using QueryDesc initialize the field with
> their own query texts, but it requires modifications in many
> different modules and copying query text might be needed.
> I don't want to do it only for this contrib module,
> so I'll support only top statements at the moment. Sorry.

Indeed, this turned out to be more difficult than I initally thought.
Nevertheless I still think that tracking nested statements is worth the
effort. Attached is a patch that adds sourceText to QueryDesc (should
apply cleanly after auto_explain.patch). This is very WIP, for one thing
it assumes that the source text pointers can be passed around freely.
But is the idea of extending QueryDesc generally acceptable? Is it OK
to make a copy of the query string?

I tested with modified pg_stat_statements (removed toplevel checks),
and much to my delight it didn't crash immediately :) I've only done
some limited testing but a lot of interesting stuff seems to turns out --
for instance we get to see the lookups generated by referential integrity
checks (could help to identify missing indexes on FK fields).

Regards,
Martin

*** a/src/backend/commands/copy.c
--- b/src/backend/commands/copy.c
***************
*** 1056,1062 **** DoCopy(const CopyStmt *stmt, const char *queryString)
          /* Create a QueryDesc requesting no output */
          cstate->queryDesc = CreateQueryDesc(plan, GetActiveSnapshot(),
                                              InvalidSnapshot,
!                                             dest, NULL, false);

          /*
           * Call ExecutorStart to prepare the plan for execution.
--- 1056,1062 ----
          /* Create a QueryDesc requesting no output */
          cstate->queryDesc = CreateQueryDesc(plan, GetActiveSnapshot(),
                                              InvalidSnapshot,
!                                             dest, NULL, false, queryString);

          /*
           * Call ExecutorStart to prepare the plan for execution.
*** a/src/backend/commands/explain.c
--- b/src/backend/commands/explain.c
***************
*** 172,178 **** ExplainOneQuery(Query *query, ExplainStmt *stmt, const char *queryString,
          plan = pg_plan_query(query, 0, params);

          /* run it (if needed) and produce output */
!         ExplainOnePlan(plan, params, stmt, tstate);
      }
  }

--- 172,178 ----
          plan = pg_plan_query(query, 0, params);

          /* run it (if needed) and produce output */
!         ExplainOnePlan(plan, params, stmt, tstate, queryString);
      }
  }

!                ExplainStmt *stmt, TupOutputState *tstate)
  {
      QueryDesc  *queryDesc;
      instr_time    starttime;
--- 219,226 ----
   */
  void
  ExplainOnePlan(PlannedStmt *plannedstmt, ParamListInfo params,
!                ExplainStmt *stmt, TupOutputState *tstate,
!                const char *queryString)
  {
      QueryDesc  *queryDesc;
      instr_time    starttime;
      queryDesc = CreateQueryDesc(plannedstmt,
                                  GetActiveSnapshot(), InvalidSnapshot,
                                  None_Receiver, params,
!                                 stmt->analyze);

      INSTR_TIME_SET_CURRENT(starttime);

--- 238,244 ----
      queryDesc = CreateQueryDesc(plannedstmt,
                                  GetActiveSnapshot(), InvalidSnapshot,
                                  None_Receiver, params,
!                                 stmt->analyze, queryString);

      INSTR_TIME_SET_CURRENT(starttime);

*** a/src/backend/commands/prepare.c
--- b/src/backend/commands/prepare.c
***************
*** 697,703 **** ExplainExecuteQuery(ExecuteStmt *execstmt, ExplainStmt *stmt,
                  pstmt->intoClause = execstmt->into;
              }

!             ExplainOnePlan(pstmt, paramLI, stmt, tstate);
          }
          else
          {
--- 697,703 ----
                  pstmt->intoClause = execstmt->into;
              }

!             ExplainOnePlan(pstmt, paramLI, stmt, tstate, queryString);
          }
          else
          {
*** a/src/backend/executor/functions.c
--- b/src/backend/executor/functions.c
***************
*** 309,320 **** postquel_start(execution_state *es, SQLFunctionCachePtr fcache)
          es->qd = CreateQueryDesc((PlannedStmt *) es->stmt,
                                   snapshot, InvalidSnapshot,
                                   None_Receiver,
!                                  fcache->paramLI, false);
      else
          es->qd = CreateUtilityQueryDesc(es->stmt,
                                          snapshot,
                                          None_Receiver,
!                                         fcache->paramLI);

      /* We assume we don't need to set up ActiveSnapshot for ExecutorStart */

--- 309,320 ----
          es->qd = CreateQueryDesc((PlannedStmt *) es->stmt,
                                   snapshot, InvalidSnapshot,
                                   None_Receiver,
!                                  fcache->paramLI, false, fcache->src);
      else
          es->qd = CreateUtilityQueryDesc(es->stmt,
                                          snapshot,
                                          None_Receiver,
!                                         fcache->paramLI, fcache->src);

      /* We assume we don't need to set up ActiveSnapshot for ExecutorStart */

*** a/src/backend/executor/spi.c
--- b/src/backend/executor/spi.c
                  qdesc = CreateQueryDesc((PlannedStmt *) stmt,
                                          snap, crosscheck_snapshot,
                                          dest,
!                                         paramLI, false);
                  res = _SPI_pquery(qdesc, fire_triggers,
                                    canSetTag ? tcount : 0);
                  FreeQueryDesc(qdesc);
--- 1795,1802 ----
                  qdesc = CreateQueryDesc((PlannedStmt *) stmt,
                                          snap, crosscheck_snapshot,
                                          dest,
!                                         paramLI, false,
!                                         plansource->query_string);
                  res = _SPI_pquery(qdesc, fire_triggers,
                                    canSetTag ? tcount : 0);
                  FreeQueryDesc(qdesc);
*** a/src/backend/tcop/pquery.c
--- b/src/backend/tcop/pquery.c
               DestReceiver *dest,
!              char *completionTag);
  static void FillPortalStore(Portal portal, bool isTopLevel);
  static uint32 RunFromStore(Portal portal, ScanDirection direction, long count,
               DestReceiver *dest);
--- 37,44 ----
  static void ProcessQuery(PlannedStmt *plan,
               ParamListInfo params,
               DestReceiver *dest,
!              char *completionTag,
!              const char *sourceText);
  static void FillPortalStore(Portal portal, bool isTopLevel);
  static uint32 RunFromStore(Portal portal, ScanDirection direction, long count,
               DestReceiver *dest);
!                 bool doInstrument)
  {
      QueryDesc  *qd = (QueryDesc *) palloc(sizeof(QueryDesc));

--- 65,72 ----
                  Snapshot crosscheck_snapshot,
                  DestReceiver *dest,
                  ParamListInfo params,
!                 bool doInstrument,
!                 const char *sourceText)
  {
      QueryDesc  *qd = (QueryDesc *) palloc(sizeof(QueryDesc));

***************
*** 77,82 **** CreateQueryDesc(PlannedStmt *plannedstmt,
--- 79,85 ----
      qd->dest = dest;            /* output dest */
      qd->params = params;        /* parameter values passed into query */
      qd->doInstrument = force_instrument || doInstrument;    /* instrumentation wanted? */
+     qd->sourceText = sourceText;

      /* null these fields until set by ExecutorStart */
      qd->tupDesc = NULL;
  {
      QueryDesc  *qd = (QueryDesc *) palloc(sizeof(QueryDesc));

--- 96,103 ----
  CreateUtilityQueryDesc(Node *utilitystmt,
                         Snapshot snapshot,
                         DestReceiver *dest,
!                        ParamListInfo params,
!                        const char *sourceText)
  {

*** 105,110 **** CreateUtilityQueryDesc(Node *utilitystmt,
--- 109,115 ----
      qd->dest = dest;            /* output dest */
      qd->params = params;        /* parameter values passed into query */
      qd->doInstrument = false;    /* uninteresting for utilities */

--- 157,164 ----
  ProcessQuery(PlannedStmt *plan,
               ParamListInfo params,
               DestReceiver *dest,
!              char *completionTag,
!              const char *sourceText)
  {
      QueryDesc  *queryDesc;

***************
*** 168,174 **** ProcessQuery(PlannedStmt *plan,
       */
      queryDesc = CreateQueryDesc(plan,
                                  GetActiveSnapshot(), InvalidSnapshot,
!                                 dest, params, false);

      /*
       * Set up to collect AFTER triggers
--- 174,180 ----
       */
      queryDesc = CreateQueryDesc(plan,
                                  GetActiveSnapshot(), InvalidSnapshot,
!                                 dest, params, false, sourceText);

      /*
       * Set up to collect AFTER triggers
                                              InvalidSnapshot,
                                              None_Receiver,
                                              params,
!                                             false);

                  /*
                   * We do *not* call AfterTriggerBeginQuery() here.    We assume
--- 510,517 ----
                                              InvalidSnapshot,
                                              None_Receiver,
                                              params,
!                                             false,
!                                             portal->sourceText);

                  /*
                   * We do *not* call AfterTriggerBeginQuery() here.    We assume
***************
*** 1252,1265 **** PortalRunMulti(Portal portal, bool isTopLevel,
                  /* statement can set tag string */
                  ProcessQuery(pstmt,
                               portal->portalParams,
!                              dest, completionTag);
              }
              else
              {
                  /* stmt added by rewrite cannot set tag */
                  ProcessQuery(pstmt,
                               portal->portalParams,
!                              altdest, NULL);
              }

              if (log_executor_stats)
--- 1259,1272 ----
                  /* statement can set tag string */
                  ProcessQuery(pstmt,
                               portal->portalParams,
!                              dest, completionTag, portal->sourceText);
              }
              else
              {
                  /* stmt added by rewrite cannot set tag */
                  ProcessQuery(pstmt,
                               portal->portalParams,
!                              altdest, NULL, portal->sourceText);
              }

              if (log_executor_stats)
*** a/src/include/commands/explain.h
--- b/src/include/commands/explain.h
!                ExplainStmt *stmt, TupOutputState *tstate);

  extern void ExplainOneResult(StringInfo str, QueryDesc *queryDesc,
                               bool analyze, bool verbose);
--- 39,46 ----
                    TupOutputState *tstate);

  extern void ExplainOnePlan(PlannedStmt *plannedstmt, ParamListInfo params,
!                ExplainStmt *stmt, TupOutputState *tstate,
!                const char *queryString);

  extern void ExplainOneResult(StringInfo str, QueryDesc *queryDesc,
                               bool analyze, bool verbose);
*** a/src/include/executor/execdesc.h
--- b/src/include/executor/execdesc.h
      bool        doInstrument;    /* TRUE requests runtime instrumentation */
+     const char *sourceText;        /* Source text for the query */

      /* These fields are set by ExecutorStart */
      TupleDesc    tupDesc;        /* descriptor for result tuples */
      EState       *estate;            /* executor's query-wide state */
      PlanState  *planstate;        /* tree of per-plan-node state */
+
  } QueryDesc;

  /* in pquery.c */
!                 bool doInstrument);

  extern QueryDesc *CreateUtilityQueryDesc(Node *utilitystmt,
                         Snapshot snapshot,
                         DestReceiver *dest,
!                        ParamListInfo params);

  extern void FreeQueryDesc(QueryDesc *qdesc);

--- 59,72 ----
                  Snapshot crosscheck_snapshot,
                  DestReceiver *dest,
                  ParamListInfo params,
!                 bool doInstrument,
!                 const char *sourceText);

  extern QueryDesc *CreateUtilityQueryDesc(Node *utilitystmt,
                         Snapshot snapshot,
                         DestReceiver *dest,
!                        ParamListInfo params,
!                        const char *sourceText);

  extern void FreeQueryDesc(QueryDesc *qdesc);

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Attached is a patch that adds sourceText to QueryDesc.

It worked fine surprisingly :) . Internal and C functions don't use
executor, so we can ignore trivial function calls (ex. operators).
Furthermore, it is ok if QueryDesc doesn't have queryText
because the result is counted up in the upper statement.

> But is the idea of extending QueryDesc generally acceptable? Is it OK
> to make a copy of the query string?

The only thing I'm worried about is that QueryDesc lives longer than
its queryText. Can I assume it never occurs?

> I tested with modified pg_stat_statements (removed toplevel checks),

Stack of counters would be better. The attached is modified to do so.
It might be worth thinking about adding counters that are equivalent
to total_time and self_time in in pg_stat_user_functions.

=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION plfn(integer) RETURNS bigint AS
$$
DECLARE
  i bigint;
BEGIN
  SELECT count(*) INTO i FROM pg_class;
  SELECT count(*) INTO i FROM pg_class;
  SELECT count(*) INTO i FROM generate_series(1, $1);
  RETURN i;
END;
$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

=# SELECT sum(plfn(10000)) FROM generate_series(1, 100);
=# SELECT query, calls, total_time, rows FROM pg_stat_statements;

                         query                         | calls | total_time | rows
-------------------------------------------------------+-------+------------+------
 SELECT sum(plfn(10000)) FROM generate_series(1, 100); |     1 |        428 |    1
 SELECT count(*) FROM pg_class                         |   200 |         32 |  200
 SELECT count(*) FROM generate_series(1,  $1 )         |   100 |        309 |  100
(3 rows)

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Вложения

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
Martin Pihlak
Дата:
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
>> But is the idea of extending QueryDesc generally acceptable? Is it OK
>> to make a copy of the query string?
>
> The only thing I'm worried about is that QueryDesc lives longer than
> its queryText. Can I assume it never occurs?

I just finished validating this -- it seems OK. All of the query strings
that make it to CreateQueryDesc are either pstrdup-ed to Portal, in long
lived memory context or just literals. So no need to make extra copies :)

--- 239,245 ----
[...]

      qd->doInstrument = doInstrument;    /* instrumentation wanted? */
[...]

  #endif   /* EXPLAIN_H */
--- 39,45 ----

--- 56,69 ----
                  Snapshot crosscheck_snapshot,
                  DestReceiver *dest,
                  ParamListInfo params,
!                 bool doInstrument,
!                 const char *sourceText);

  extern QueryDesc *CreateUtilityQueryDesc(Node *utilitystmt,
                         Snapshot snapshot,
                         DestReceiver *dest,
!                        ParamListInfo params,
!                        const char *sourceText);

  extern void FreeQueryDesc(QueryDesc *qdesc);

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements v2

От
"Vladimir Sitnikov"
Дата:
contentionpoint (pgss->lock = LWLockAssign()). I guess that would impact scalability, especially on a multi-cpu
systems.I guess the real solution will come when PostgreSQL have a pool for sql statements, hovewer it could make sense
tosplit pgss->lock into several ones to reduce contention on it.<br /><br />B) I really do not like the idea of
ResetBufferUsage.<br/><br />I do vote for eliminating ResetBufferUsage from the sources (even from the core sources)<br
/>Thereason is as follows:<br />   1) No one really tries to reset "current timestamp" counter. Why do we reset buffer
usageevery now and then?<br />    2) As new call sites of ResetBufferUsage appear it becomes more likely to fetch
"wrong"statistics from that counters due to "accidental" reset.<br />   3) When it comes to fetch "buffer usage", one
mightuse the same approach as with timings: calculate the difference between two measurements. I do not believe it is
noticeablyslower than reset+measure.<br /><br />I wish PostgreSQL had some kind of pg_session_statistics view that
reportsresource usage statistics for each session.<br />For instance, it could expose "buffer usage" to the client, so
itcould get more details on resource usage. For instance, I would like to see a new tab in pgAdmin that shows "total
numberof buffer gets", "number of WAL records created", "number of rows sorted" and similar information after query
finishes(even in plain "execute" mode).<br /> The second application of that statistics could be server health
monitoring:provided there is an interface for ongoing integral statistics, one could create a job that takes snapshots,

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

Дата:
Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com> writes:
> ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
>>> But is the idea of extending QueryDesc generally acceptable? Is it OK
>>> to make a copy of the query string?
>>
>> The only thing I'm worried about is that QueryDesc lives longer than
>> its queryText. Can I assume it never occurs?

> I just finished validating this -- it seems OK. All of the query strings
> that make it to CreateQueryDesc are either pstrdup-ed to Portal, in long
> lived memory context or just literals. So no need to make extra copies :)

I'm trying to figure out what is the status of this patch?  I'm not sure
if there's any point in applying it, when contrib/pg_stat_statements
hasn't been updated to make use of it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what is the status of this patch?  I'm not sure
> if there's any point in applying it, when contrib/pg_stat_statements
> hasn't been updated to make use of it.

Here is an updated patch to use QueryDesc.queryText and supports nested
statements. The patch needs to be applied after contrib/auto_explain patch.

Now we can choose statistics.track_statements from 'none', 'top' and 'all'.
Nested statements are collected in the case of 'all'.

Regards,
---