Обсуждение: Please claim review items for commit fest!

Please claim review items for commit fest!

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Hackers,

Just in case anyone was unclear, this is how we're trying things for
this commitfest:

1) Starting RIGHT NOW, reviewers should claim review items they are
interested in or specially qualified to review.

2) This weekend, I will check for all items which don't have one or
more reviewers and parcel them out to the Round Robin Reviewers who
don't already have patches to review.

You do not have to be a committer to be a reviewer.  Anyone who knows C
code and is familiar with PostgreSQL can be a reviewer.  Heck, even
non-C coders can review proposed APIs.  Each item can have several
reviewers, and probably should.

Oh, also reviewers -- please try to use constructive criticism!  Some
people are submitting their first patch, and we don't want them to
leave the project forever.  Thanks!

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco 415-752-2500

Re: Please claim review items for commit fest!

От
"Marko Kreen"
Дата:
On 7/2/08, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>  Just in case anyone was unclear, this is how we're trying things for
>  this commitfest:
>
>  1) Starting RIGHT NOW, reviewers should claim review items they are
>  interested in or specially qualified to review.
>
>  2) This weekend, I will check for all items which don't have one or
>  more reviewers and parcel them out to the Round Robin Reviewers who
>  don't already have patches to review.
>
>  You do not have to be a committer to be a reviewer.  Anyone who knows C
>
> code and is familiar with PostgreSQL can be a reviewer.  Heck, even
>  non-C coders can review proposed APIs.  Each item can have several
>  reviewers, and probably should.
>
>  Oh, also reviewers -- please try to use constructive criticism!  Some
>  people are submitting their first patch, and we don't want them to
>  leave the project forever.  Thanks!

I don't understand one aspect - if I'm unfamiliar with Postgres
and cannot do full review or am familiar but cannot do full
review due to time aspects but still want to throw some quick
comments, should I register on wiki?  And potentially make some
actual reviewers to skip the patch?

--
marko

Re: Please claim review items for commit fest!

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand one aspect - if I'm unfamiliar with Postgres
> and cannot do full review or am familiar but cannot do full
> review due to time aspects but still want to throw some quick
> comments, should I register on wiki?  And potentially make some
> actual reviewers to skip the patch?

In that situation, just add your comments to the wiki page using the
appropriate template, but don't bother to list yourself as a reviewer
(for the very reason you suggest).

--
Dave Page

Re: Please claim review items for commit fest!

От
"Marko Kreen"
Дата:
On 7/2/08, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I don't understand one aspect - if I'm unfamiliar with Postgres
>  > and cannot do full review or am familiar but cannot do full
>  > review due to time aspects but still want to throw some quick
>  > comments, should I register on wiki?  And potentially make some
>  > actual reviewers to skip the patch?
>
> In that situation, just add your comments to the wiki page using the
>  appropriate template, but don't bother to list yourself as a reviewer
>  (for the very reason you suggest).

The comments should go to wiki?  Not mailing list?

--
marko

Re: Please claim review items for commit fest!

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/2/08, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > I don't understand one aspect - if I'm unfamiliar with Postgres
>>  > and cannot do full review or am familiar but cannot do full
>>  > review due to time aspects but still want to throw some quick
>>  > comments, should I register on wiki?  And potentially make some
>>  > actual reviewers to skip the patch?
>>
>> In that situation, just add your comments to the wiki page using the
>>  appropriate template, but don't bother to list yourself as a reviewer
>>  (for the very reason you suggest).
>
> The comments should go to wiki?  Not mailing list?

It's a fine line (and slightly bendy line)  - but simple comments can
go on the wiki, discussion should go to the list and be referenced
from the wiki.

For example, see the 'returned for feedback' section at the end of the
last commit fest: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest:2008-05

--
Dave Page

Re: Please claim review items for commit fest!

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The comments should go to wiki?  Not mailing list?
>
> It's a fine line (and slightly bendy line)  - but simple comments can
> go on the wiki, discussion should go to the list and be referenced
> from the wiki.
>
> For example, see the 'returned for feedback' section at the end of the
> last commit fest: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest:2008-05

It is a fine line, but I think anything about the substance of the patch
really ought to go to the list so other people get a chance to respond.

IMHO the wiki is best thought of as a kind of group "todo list". Notes about
the status of a patch and a bottom-line summary for future reference makes
sense to keep there. Something like "review found problems with memory
management" so we can reprioritize it without rereading the emails for every
item.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!