Обсуждение: Default index tablespace

Default index tablespace

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
What about a feature to set a default tablespace just for indexes?  I have
been told that this was originally proposed when tablespaces where designed,
but did not end up being implemented.  Does anyone recall the details?  I
have had people ask me about this feature.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Default index tablespace

От
Hans-Juergen Schoenig

What about a feature to set a default tablespace just for indexes?  I have
been told that this was originally proposed when tablespaces where designed,
but did not end up being implemented.  Does anyone recall the details?  I
have had people ask me about this feature.

--
Peter Eisentraut

This has already been suggested a while ago.
It is definitely useful.

regards,

hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
PostgreSQL Solutions and Support

Re: Default index tablespace

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 13:01 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> What about a feature to set a default tablespace just for indexes?

Why would we want this particular idea? I'm not against it specifically,
but it seems like there are many similar ideas, so we should think about
what we are trying to achieve by it first.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Default index tablespace

От
Zdenek Kotala
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> What about a feature to set a default tablespace just for indexes?  I have
> been told that this was originally proposed when tablespaces where designed,
> but did not end up being implemented.  Does anyone recall the details?  I
> have had people ask me about this feature.

+1 It is typical problem when you want to create primary key and related
index in different tablespace. My colleagues asked me about this feature
as well.
Zdenek

Re: Default index tablespace

Дата:
> What about a feature to set a default tablespace just for indexes?

Well, for one thing it would break existing dumps, since pg_dump expects
that "SET default_tablespace" works for indexes and tables both.

This has been suggested and rejected multiple times before, eg,
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-10/msg00141.php
        regards, tom lane