Обсуждение: Autovacuum & Table List Ordering

Autovacuum & Table List Ordering

От
"Usama Dar"
Дата:
OK, so i was going through the autovacuum code and i noticed that when we construct the table list to vacuum in a
databaseper run, we don't process them in a particular order. I mean since we pick the list up from pg_class so it may
beordered on oid? but when we select a database we have a priority  algo, which select the db's in XID wraparound
dangerfirst, and that too the in an order that the db nearest to the XID wraparound is picked first <br /><br />So
wouldn'tit make sense to pick up the tables in a similar order as well? like sorting the list on (deadtuples -
calculatedthreshold) this way we will be vacuuming the tables in more need first.<br /><br />Without an order i can
imaginea scenario where a table which is near a wrap-around or has more dead-rows waiting  or possible having the XID
warparoundwhile another big table takes a lot of time. <br /><br />With the launcher - worker architecture in 8.3 the
situationwill improve as you can have multiple workers vacuuming multiple tables in parallel, but having some order
href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/usamadar">http://www.linkedin.com/in/usamadar</a><br/>Consultant Architect<br
/>Cell:+92321 5020666<br />Skype: usamadar <br />

Re: Autovacuum & Table List Ordering

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Usama Dar escribió:

> So wouldn't it make sense to pick up the tables in a similar order as well?
> like sorting the list on (deadtuples - calculated threshold) this way we
> will be vacuuming the tables in more need first.

Sure, feel free to propose a specific ordering.  I think you would need
to take table size into account too.

Something that's also important to fix while you're doing that is fixing
the "BUG" that is mentioned in the code that Simon griped about not long
ago.

Re: Autovacuum & Table List Ordering

От
"Usama Dar"

Sure, feel free to propose a specific ordering.  I think you would need
to take table size into account too.

Thanks, i thought we were already taking the database size into account somewhat when we calculate the vacuum threshold by factoring in reltuples. My initial thought is that we already decide to vacuum a table if (vactuples > vacthresh). if we order the list by vacpriority where

vacpriority=vactuples - vacthresh

it would be reasonable start, without being too complicated , thoughts?

Something that's also important to fix while you're doing that is fixing
the "BUG" that is mentioned in the code that Simon griped about not long
ago.

OK, i will look what that is

--
Alvaro Herrera                                 http://www.CommandPrompt.com/