Обсуждение: query : max size Bytea

query : max size Bytea

От
"Arunachalam Parthasarathy"
Дата:
hi,
i would request you to answer the following query:

1. What is the maximum size of data  single Bytea entry in column?

i would be thankful to you for the above request
.
P.S : my current reqirement is to add more that 1 gb of data in a
single entry of type bytea column in each row.

Thanks and regards
Arunachalam

Re: query : max size Bytea

От
"Pavel Stehule"
Дата:
Hello

there are limits:       Maximum size for a table?                16 TB       Maximum size for a row?
1.6TB      Maximum size for a field?                1 GB

But my experience is, on older servers with RAM < 2G is +/- 20M long
bytea slow and it is better use BLOB, that is much faster for longer
items.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

On 20/12/2007, Arunachalam Parthasarathy <arunachalamamsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> i would request you to answer the following query:
>
> 1. What is the maximum size of data  single Bytea entry in column?
>
> i would be thankful to you for the above request
> .
> P.S : my current reqirement is to add more that 1 gb of data in a
> single entry of type bytea column in each row.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Arunachalam

Re: query : max size Bytea

От
Andrew Chernow
Дата:
Arunachalam Parthasarathy wrote:
> hi,
> i would request you to answer the following query:
>
> 1. What is the maximum size of data  single Bytea entry in column?
>
> i would be thankful to you for the above request
> .
> P.S : my current reqirement is to add more that 1 gb of data in a
> single entry of type bytea column in each row.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Arunachalam

bytea uses up to 4 bytes to represent the binary string length (signed
32-bit integer).  So the max data size is 2G.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-binary.html

andrew

Re: query : max size Bytea

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On Dec 20, 2007 12:47 PM, Andrew Chernow <ac@esilo.com> wrote:
> Arunachalam Parthasarathy wrote:
> bytea uses up to 4 bytes to represent the binary string length (signed
> 32-bit integer).  So the max data size is 2G.

max data size is 2g, but only large objects can hit that...1gb limit
comes from toast and applies to pretty much anything else
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/storage-toast.html).

merlin

Re: query : max size Bytea

От
Andrew Chernow
Дата:
Andrew Chernow wrote:
> Arunachalam Parthasarathy wrote:
>> hi,
>> i would request you to answer the following query:
>>
>> 1. What is the maximum size of data  single Bytea entry in column?
>>
>> i would be thankful to you for the above request
>> .
>> P.S : my current reqirement is to add more that 1 gb of data in a
>> single entry of type bytea column in each row.
>>
>> Thanks and regards
>> Arunachalam

>>                http://archives.postgresql.org
>>

> bytea uses up to 4 bytes to represent the binary string length (signed
> 32-bit integer).  So the max data size is 2G.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-binary.html
>
> andrew

Sorry, my mistake.  Max size is 1G. oops.

andrew