Обсуждение: Integer datatimes vs msvc

Integer datatimes vs msvc

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Did we ever come to a conclusion on what to do with integer datetimes on
msvc for 8.3?

For the uninformed - 8.2 and earlier had the binary build with floating
point timestamps, 8.3 has integer timestamps. (We're just talking the
binary build here)

//Magnus

Re: Integer datatimes vs msvc

Дата:
> Did we ever come to a conclusion on what to do with integer datetimes on
> msvc for 8.3?

> For the uninformed - 8.2 and earlier had the binary build with floating
> point timestamps, 8.3 has integer timestamps. (We're just talking the
> binary build here)

I believe we have consensus that 8.4 is the time to do that --- see
thread here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-05/msg00046.php

So my recommendation is that the MSVC build should follow the source
change, ie, not change until 8.4.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Integer datatimes vs msvc

От
Andrew Dunstan

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Did we ever come to a conclusion on what to do with integer datetimes on
> msvc for 8.3?
>
> For the uninformed - 8.2 and earlier had the binary build with floating
> point timestamps, 8.3 has integer timestamps. (We're just talking the
> binary build here)

If you are preparing a binary package you can use whatever options you
like. But I think in principle the MSVC defaults in our source code
should mirror the Unix defaults.

cheers

andrew

Re: Integer datatimes vs msvc

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Dec 3, 2007, at 11:27 , Tom Lane wrote:

> I believe we have consensus that 8.4 is the time to do that --- see
> thread here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-05/msg00046.php

Is there anything in the release notes (or elsewhere) for 8.3 that
mention this as the intention, similar to the formerly deprecated
money type? Would we want to?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Integer datatimes vs msvc

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Did we ever come to a conclusion on what to do with integer datetimes on
>> msvc for 8.3?
>>
>> For the uninformed - 8.2 and earlier had the binary build with floating
>> point timestamps, 8.3 has integer timestamps. (We're just talking the
>> binary build here)
>>

> If you are preparing a binary package you can use whatever options you
> like. But I think in principle the MSVC defaults in our source code
> should mirror the Unix defaults.

Right. I know there are certainly linux distributions that change it to
integer timestamps (debian for example), so it's just a matter of what
we want to ship in the installer.

But if that's the consensus - Dave, unless you wrapped the new beta
already, please change that in your config file before you do!

//Magnus

Re: Integer datatimes vs msvc

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Did we ever come to a conclusion on what to do with integer datetimes on
>>> msvc for 8.3?
>>>
>>> For the uninformed - 8.2 and earlier had the binary build with floating
>>> point timestamps, 8.3 has integer timestamps. (We're just talking the
>>> binary build here)
>>>

>> If you are preparing a binary package you can use whatever options you
>> like. But I think in principle the MSVC defaults in our source code
>> should mirror the Unix defaults.
>
> Right. I know there are certainly linux distributions that change it to
> integer timestamps (debian for example), so it's just a matter of what
> we want to ship in the installer.
>
> But if that's the consensus - Dave, unless you wrapped the new beta
> already, please change that in your config file before you do!

Hmm. Too late to pull that one, but we'll make the change for next
beta/rc then.

//Magnus