Обсуждение: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Peter, Nickolay,

./configure --with-libxml does not accept a location argument.  This
makes it impossible to configure 8.3 with LibXML on the Mac, because I
can't upgrade the main libxml without breaking something, and
./configure doesn't let me specify an alternate location.

--with-libxml should accept a library location.

--Josh

Re: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:38 +0900, Josh Berkus wrote:
> ./configure --with-libxml does not accept a location argument.  This
> makes it impossible to configure 8.3 with LibXML on the Mac, because I
> can't upgrade the main libxml without breaking something, and
> ./configure doesn't let me specify an alternate location.

--with-libraries, --with-includes should work.

-Neil

Re: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:38 +0900, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> ./configure --with-libxml does not accept a location argument.  This
>> makes it impossible to configure 8.3 with LibXML on the Mac, because I
>> can't upgrade the main libxml without breaking something, and
>> ./configure doesn't let me specify an alternate location.
>
> --with-libraries, --with-includes should work.

Apparently not.

Here's what I'm trying:

./configure --with-libxml
--with-libraries=/Library/Frameworks/libxml.framework/ --with-perl
--prefix=/Users/josh/pg83b2

The libxml in that directory is 2.6.30, but .configure always seems to
find the default one first.

What I get for demoing on an OS which uses libxml in the OS ... darn
Apple, anyway.  But we'd better get ready for a lot of bug reports from
mac users.

--Josh

Re: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

От
Andrew Dunstan

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Neil Conway wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:38 +0900, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> ./configure --with-libxml does not accept a location argument.  This
>>> makes it impossible to configure 8.3 with LibXML on the Mac, because
>>> I can't upgrade the main libxml without breaking something, and
>>> ./configure doesn't let me specify an alternate location.
>>
>> --with-libraries, --with-includes should work.
>
> Apparently not.
>
> Here's what I'm trying:
>
> ./configure --with-libxml
> --with-libraries=/Library/Frameworks/libxml.framework/ --with-perl
> --prefix=/Users/josh/pg83b2
>
> The libxml in that directory is 2.6.30, but .configure always seems to
> find the default one first.
>
> What I get for demoing on an OS which uses libxml in the OS ... darn
> Apple, anyway.  But we'd better get ready for a lot of bug reports
> from mac users.

I don't see you using --with-includes here

None of our --with-featurefoo options takes an argument, BTW. That at
least isn't a bug, it's by design.

cheers

andrew

Re: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

От
Jörg Beyer
Дата:
Josh,

did you try to set XML2_CONFIG prior to ./configure?
I _am_ on Mac OS X 10.4.10, and using (in my particular case)
 $  export XML2_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/xml2-config

as well as
 --with-libraries=/usr/lib/:/usr/local/lib/ --with-includes=/usr/include/:/usr/local/include/

seems to work. PostgreSQL 8.3beta2 compiles without showing xml-related
problems; I even peeked inside the Makefile to see if everything looked o.k.
-- it does, AFAICS. Haven't found the time to test the installation, though.

However, I'm using a different setup!  I assume you are using the binary
package from here: http://www.explain.com.au/oss/libxml2xslt.html.

Instead of following the framework-approach you are referring to, I compiled
and installed both the libxml2- and libxslt-libraries myself and put it to
/usr/local. This leaves OS X's built in libraries untouched, and it gives
you enough flexibility to use common *nix software more or less out of the
box. (No Darwinports or Fink stuff or whatever involved on my side, only
Apple's Xcode tools...) libxml2-2.6.30 works well with Perl and xml::libxml,
as well as with R and the associated XML-package, and it doesn't seem to
break anything, so in general this strategy works on OS X.

On a related side note: configuring pg8.3b2 with a libxslt other than the
system library in /usr fails on OS X, due to the fact that configure doesn't
give us a XSLT_CONFIG variable ...

Hope this helps, please keep us informed.

Joerg Beyer

> ./configure --with-libxml does not accept a location argument. This makes it
> impossible to configure 8.3 with LibXML on the Mac, because I can't upgrade
> the main libxml without breaking something, and ./configure doesn't let me
> specify an alternate location.
>
> --with-libxml should accept a library location.
>
> --Josh

Jörg Beyer
PHILIPPS-University Marburg
Dept. of Psychology
Germany

Re: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

От
Jörg Beyer
Дата:
Maybe except
 --with-tcl --with-tclconfig=DIRECTORY

although that's not exactly what you were referring to, of course.

Anyway, I think the OS X case could be worth to keep the design question in
mind. Speaking as a not very experienced user of 'make' and friends, I'm
appreciating --with-featurefoo-config=DIR  options (or setting related
environment variables), because it makes it easier and more comprehensible
for me to get the whole thing running.

Cheers

Joerg

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> None of our --with-featurefoo options takes an argument, BTW. That at least
> isn't a bug, it's by design.

Jörg Beyer
PHILIPPS-University Marburg
Dept. of Psychology
Germany

Re: Bug: --with-libxml does not take a location

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Jörg Beyer wrote:
> Josh,
>
> did you try to set XML2_CONFIG prior to ./configure?
> I _am_ on Mac OS X 10.4.10, and using (in my particular case)
>
>   $  export XML2_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/xml2-config
>
> as well as
>
>   --with-libraries=/usr/lib/:/usr/local/lib/
>   --with-includes=/usr/include/:/usr/local/include/

OK, thanks, I'll try that.

--Josh