Обсуждение: Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
There's been a lively discussion on JDBC list recently about how we
handle connection pooling. This has connected a few thoughts in my head.

That's made me think about the PHP interface, which issues a BEGIN; ROLLBACK;
pair every time somebody connects to the pool.

We should have a single/consistent way of starting a new connection to
PostgreSQL when using a session pool.

As committed, DISCARD ALL does everything but cannot be issued inside a
transaction block.

I'd like to propose that DISCARD ALL also issue a ROLLBACK command if it
is issued from within a transaction block. That way whenever we reassign
a session pool connection to another agent we can just issue a single
command from all interfaces, without needing to test what the state of
the connection is beforehand.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

Дата:
> As committed, DISCARD ALL does everything but cannot be issued inside a
> transaction block.

> I'd like to propose that DISCARD ALL also issue a ROLLBACK command if it
> is issued from within a transaction block.

That was *intentional* to prevent mistakes.  Somebody who wants the
above behavior can send "ROLLBACK; DISCARD ALL".
        regards, tom lane

Re: Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
> > As committed, DISCARD ALL does everything but cannot be issued inside a
> > transaction block.
>
> > I'd like to propose that DISCARD ALL also issue a ROLLBACK command if it
> > is issued from within a transaction block.
>
> That was *intentional* to prevent mistakes.

I understand; I'm challenging that intention. Neil's original commit
message said that was "intended to catch programmer mistakes" and that
such use is "probably unintended".

If the developer has attempted to issue it in the wrong place, he's
probably also forgot to handle errors correctly, i.e. ROLLBACK then
reissue.

If we care about helping the developer we should make the command end
the transaction block if one exists then issue it. Less code for the
developer, less mistakes.

>  Somebody who wants the
> above behavior can send "ROLLBACK; DISCARD ALL".

...which generates an ERROR if no transaction is in progress and fills
the log needlessly.

http://svr5.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2001-02/msg00116.php

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 15:50 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 10:29 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >  Somebody who wants the
> > above behavior can send "ROLLBACK; DISCARD ALL".
>
> ...which generates an ERROR if no transaction is in progress and fills
> the log needlessly.

Well, it's a WARNING, but your point is taken. Can't a clueful interface
just check what the transaction status of the connection is, rather than
unconditionally issuing a ROLLBACK?

-Neil

Re: Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 13:03 -0700, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 15:50 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 10:29 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > >  Somebody who wants the
> > > above behavior can send "ROLLBACK; DISCARD ALL".
> >
> > ...which generates an ERROR if no transaction is in progress and fills
> > the log needlessly.
>
> Well, it's a WARNING, but your point is taken. Can't a clueful interface
> just check what the transaction status of the connection is, rather than
> unconditionally issuing a ROLLBACK?

I think it can, but can't a clueful server do this and avoid the problem
of non-clueful interfaces?

This is making me think that we should just embed the session pool
inside the server as well and have done with it.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Simon Riggs wrote:

> This is making me think that we should just embed the session pool
> inside the server as well and have done with it.

You mean prefork?  That would be neat.  I don't think it's all that
impossible.

Re: Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

От
Andrew Dunstan

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 13:03 -0700, Neil Conway wrote:

>>> ...which generates an ERROR if no transaction is in progress and fills
>>> the log needlessly.
>>>
>> Well, it's a WARNING, but your point is taken. Can't a clueful interface
>> just check what the transaction status of the connection is, rather than
>> unconditionally issuing a ROLLBACK?
>>

> I think it can, but can't a clueful server do this and avoid the problem
> of non-clueful interfaces?
>
> This is making me think that we should just embed the session pool
> inside the server as well and have done with it.

Could we maybe have some flavor of ROLLBACK that doesn't issue a warning
if no transaction is in progress? There is precedent for this sort of
facility - DROP ... IF EXISTS.

cheers

andrew

Re: Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

Дата:
> Could we maybe have some flavor of ROLLBACK that doesn't issue a warning
> if no transaction is in progress? There is precedent for this sort of
> facility - DROP ... IF EXISTS.

Something that would actually be doable for 8.3 would be to downgrade
this particular WARNING to a NOTICE.  A DBA who hasn't got
log_min_messages set higher than NOTICE hasn't really got a lot of room
to whine about bulky logs.
        regards, tom lane