Обсуждение: CheckpointStartLock starvation

CheckpointStartLock starvation

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
I'm seeing a problem on my benchmark machine: checkpoints stop happening
after the ramp-up period.

It looks like the bgwriter gets starved waiting on the
CheckpointStartLock. The CheckpointStartLock is held in shared mode over
an XLogFlush when committing, which on an extremely busy system like a
benchmark is always long enough to have a new transaction to acquire the
CheckpointStartLock again.

I'm running another test with more logging to confirm that's what's
happening, but I'm pretty sure that's it...

As a proposed fix, instead of acquiring the CheckpointStartLock in
RecordTransactionCommit, we set a flag in MyProc saying "commit in
progress". Checkpoint will scan through the procarray and make note of
any commit in progress transactions, after computing the new redo record
ptr, and wait for all of them to finish before flushing clog.

Unless someone has a better idea, I'll write a patch to do the above.

Re: CheckpointStartLock starvation

Дата:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> As a proposed fix, instead of acquiring the CheckpointStartLock in
> RecordTransactionCommit, we set a flag in MyProc saying "commit in
> progress". Checkpoint will scan through the procarray and make note of
> any commit in progress transactions, after computing the new redo record
> ptr, and wait for all of them to finish before flushing clog.

What sort of "wait for finish" mechanism do you have in mind?  While
I've always thought CheckpointStartLock is a pretty ugly solution,
I'm not sure the above is better.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> As a proposed fix, instead of acquiring the CheckpointStartLock in
>> RecordTransactionCommit, we set a flag in MyProc saying "commit in
>> progress". Checkpoint will scan through the procarray and make note of
>> any commit in progress transactions, after computing the new redo record
>> ptr, and wait for all of them to finish before flushing clog.
>
> What sort of "wait for finish" mechanism do you have in mind?  While
> I've always thought CheckpointStartLock is a pretty ugly solution,
> I'm not sure the above is better.

I was thinking of XactLockTableWait.

Re: CheckpointStartLock starvation

Дата:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> What sort of "wait for finish" mechanism do you have in mind?

> I was thinking of XactLockTableWait.

Ugh.  I don't think the bgwriter can participate in heavyweight-lockmgr
operations, or should become able to.

Nor will that work for prepared xacts --- you don't want to wait for the
eventual commit, only for PREPARE TRANSACTION to exit its critical
section.
        regards, tom lane

Re: CheckpointStartLock starvation

От
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Дата:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> It looks like the bgwriter gets starved waiting on the
> CheckpointStartLock. The CheckpointStartLock is held in shared mode over
> an XLogFlush when committing, which on an extremely busy system like a
> benchmark is always long enough to have a new transaction to acquire the
> CheckpointStartLock again.

If the starvation comes from giving unfair priorities on shared locks
against exclusive locks, does the below TODO item help us?

| Locking
| Fix priority ordering of read and write light-weight locks (Neil)
| http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg00893.php
| http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg00905.php

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: CheckpointStartLock starvation

Дата:
ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> It looks like the bgwriter gets starved waiting on the
>> CheckpointStartLock. The CheckpointStartLock is held in shared mode over
>> an XLogFlush when committing, which on an extremely busy system like a
>> benchmark is always long enough to have a new transaction to acquire the
>> CheckpointStartLock again.

> If the starvation comes from giving unfair priorities on shared locks
> against exclusive locks, does the below TODO item help us?

Tweaking the lock rules was my first thought too, but the side-effects
might be undesirable.  In this particular case it would certainly be
better to not have a lock at all, since having checkpoint block commits
even briefly is not what we'd like.  I think Heikki's plan of having
backends show in PGPROC that they're in a commit critical section is
basically sound, we just have to get the details straight.

Since checkpoint doesn't need to be instantaneous, it's probably
sufficient to just have it sleep 10 msec or so and recheck to see
if all the blockers are gone, instead of doing any kind of fancy
signaling.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> What sort of "wait for finish" mechanism do you have in mind?
>
>> I was thinking of XactLockTableWait.
>
> Ugh.  I don't think the bgwriter can participate in heavyweight-lockmgr
> operations, or should become able to.

Oh, good point.

I suppose we could just poll and sleep, checkpoint is a heavy operation
anyway so a little delay wouldn't hurt.

> Nor will that work for prepared xacts --- you don't want to wait for the
> eventual commit, only for PREPARE TRANSACTION to exit its critical
> section.

PREPARE TRANSACTION wouldn't set the flag in MyProc; there's no clog
changes to protect from at that point. It would be set in
RecordTransactionCommitPrepared when we're really committing. Just like
we use the CheckpointStartLock today.

Re: CheckpointStartLock starvation

Дата:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Nor will that work for prepared xacts --- you don't want to wait for the
>> eventual commit, only for PREPARE TRANSACTION to exit its critical
>> section.

> PREPARE TRANSACTION wouldn't set the flag in MyProc; there's no clog
> changes to protect from at that point. It would be set in
> RecordTransactionCommitPrepared when we're really committing. Just like
> we use the CheckpointStartLock today.

Indeed --- you'd better take another look at where we use the

Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Nor will that work for prepared xacts --- you don't want to wait for the
>>> eventual commit, only for PREPARE TRANSACTION to exit its critical
>>> section.
>
>> PREPARE TRANSACTION wouldn't set the flag in MyProc; there's no clog
>> changes to protect from at that point. It would be set in
>> RecordTransactionCommitPrepared when we're really committing. Just like
>> we use the CheckpointStartLock today.
>
> Indeed --- you'd better take another look at where we use the
> CheckpointStartLock today.

Yeah, while writing the patch I noticed that we really do use it in
EndPrepare to avoid a similar race condition with the twophase state file..

Re: CheckpointStartLock starvation

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
> ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> > Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >> It looks like the bgwriter gets starved waiting on the
> >> CheckpointStartLock. The CheckpointStartLock is held in shared mode over
> >> an XLogFlush when committing, which on an extremely busy system like a
> >> benchmark is always long enough to have a new transaction to acquire the
> >> CheckpointStartLock again.
>
> > If the starvation comes from giving unfair priorities on shared locks
> > against exclusive locks, does the below TODO item help us?
>
> Tweaking the lock rules was my first thought too, but the side-effects
> might be undesirable.  In this particular case it would certainly be
> better to not have a lock at all, since having checkpoint block commits
> even briefly is not what we'd like.

Itagaki-san:

Tried that way of handling the problem in June last year and it just
moved the problem, rather than removing it. Lock free solution is the
only way, so Heikki's method is better, ISTM.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com