Обсуждение: TODO items for removal

TODO items for removal

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
These two items are complete in 8.2, IIRC

Allow constraint_exclusion to work for UNIONs like it does for
inheritance, allow it to work for UPDATE and DELETE statements, and
allow it to be used for all statements with little performance impact

Fix memory leak from exceptions
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-06/msg00305.php

This item was rejected by Tom, since a workaround exists

Add estimated_count(*) to return an estimate of COUNT(*)
This would use the planner ANALYZE statistics to return an estimated
count. http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-11/msg00943.php

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO items for removal

Дата:
Thanks, removed.

Simon Riggs wrote:
> These two items are complete in 8.2, IIRC
>
> Allow constraint_exclusion to work for UNIONs like it does for
> inheritance, allow it to work for UPDATE and DELETE statements, and
> allow it to be used for all statements with little performance impact
>
> Fix memory leak from exceptions
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-06/msg00305.php
>

> This item was rejected by Tom, since a workaround exists
>
> Add estimated_count(*) to return an estimate of COUNT(*)
> This would use the planner ANALYZE statistics to return an estimated
> count. http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-11/msg00943.php
>
> --
>   Simon Riggs
>   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO items for removal

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 22:24 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> This item was rejected by Tom, since a workaround exists
>
> Add estimated_count(*) to return an estimate of COUNT(*)
> This would use the planner ANALYZE statistics to return an estimated
> count. http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-11/msg00943.php

ISTM Tom didn't reject the TODO item (or the basic feature idea it
describes), he just objected to the syntax -- which I can understand,
count(*) is not syntax we want to be copying. AFAIK no one has actually
implemented the UDF he describes, though, so there should still be a
TODO item.

-Neil