Обсуждение: Failure on tapir / only 10 max connections?

Failure on tapir / only 10 max connections?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
Tapir appears to be failing because make check wants more than 10
connections for testing. What I don't understand is why it's being
limited to 10. initdb -d doesn't help either...

selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 32MB/204800
creating configuration files ... ok

AFAIK, my shared memory settings should be high enough to support more
than 10 connections...

kern.ipc.shmall: 524288
kern.ipc.shmseg: 128
kern.ipc.shmmni: 192
kern.ipc.shmmin: 1
kern.ipc.shmmax: 1073741824

Is 10 just the new default?

BTW, does make check log it's initdb output anywhere? It'd be handy if
it did...

Re: Failure on tapir / only 10 max connections?

Дата:
"Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> Tapir appears to be failing because make check wants more than 10
> connections for testing. What I don't understand is why it's being
> limited to 10.

Your SysV IPC limits are too small --- apparently it's not so much
shared memory as semaphores that are the problem.  See the
FreeBSD-specific notes in
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/kernel-resources.html
        regards, tom lane

Re: Failure on tapir / only 10 max connections?

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 23:31 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> BTW, does make check log it's initdb output anywhere? It'd be handy if
> it did...

They are logged in src/test/regress/log/initdb.log
but the make check failure message gives a relative filename, so you
have to know what the upper part of the path is to find it.

It would be useful to have it say the full path for the failure log, so
it could be more easily located.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Failure on tapir / only 10 max connections?

От
"Andrew Dunstan"
Дата:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 23:31 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
>> BTW, does make check log it's initdb output anywhere? It'd be handy if
>> it did...
>
> They are logged in src/test/regress/log/initdb.log
> but the make check failure message gives a relative filename, so you
> have to know what the upper part of the path is to find it.
>
> It would be useful to have it say the full path for the failure log, so
> it could be more easily located.

But for a buildfarm member this is scarcely necessary - the initdb output
is included in the make check log. See
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=tapir&dt=2006-11-11%20080500&stg=check

and search for 'initdb.log'.

We have had a mechanism for limiting parallelism in make check for quite a
while, and this too is supported by the buildfarm script - just set
MAX_CONNECTIONS in the config. This is pretty much required for Cygwin,
but can also be used for any resource starved machine.

cheers

andrew