Обсуждение: Bug?

Bug?

От
"Indira Muthuswamy"
Дата:
Hai,

 I have encountered a problem with PostgreSQL.I have created a table 'tab1' with a column 'a' with serial type.I entered 20 records into the  table.So the query
  select max(a) from tab1;
returned 20.When I tried the same query after the command
 truncate table tab1;
I found that the output of the first query as

 max
-----

(1 row)

When I tried to insert a new row into the table tab1 I found that the value at column a incremented to the value 21.
But I heard from my friends that the value of the serial column gets decremented whenever we issue the 'truncate table' command (in MS SQL SERVER).Is the concept same with PostgreSQL or not?Can anyone clarify me on this?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
m.Indira

Re: Bug?

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Indira Muthuswamy wrote:
> Hai,
>
>  I have encountered a problem with PostgreSQL.I have created a table
> 'tab1' with a column 'a' with serial type.I entered 20 records into
> the  table.So the query
>   select max(a) from tab1;
> returned 20.When I tried the same query after the command
>  truncate table tab1;
> I found that the output of the first query as
>
>  max
> -----
>
> (1 row)
>
> When I tried to insert a new row into the table tab1 I found that the
> value at column a incremented to the value 21.
> But I heard from my friends that the value of the serial column gets
> decremented whenever we issue the 'truncate table' command (in MS SQL
> SERVER).Is the concept same with PostgreSQL or not?Can anyone clarify
> me on this?

Sure. You heard wrong about postgres.

Please do not ask questions like this on the -hackers list - this should
have gone to pgsql-general. The hackers list is for postgresql
development discussions only.

cheers

andrew

Re: Bug?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
Moving to -sql.

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:53:46PM +0530, Indira Muthuswamy wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I have encountered a problem with PostgreSQL.I have created a table
> 'tab1' with a column 'a' with serial type.I entered 20 records into the
> table.So the query
>  select max(a) from tab1;
> returned 20.When I tried the same query after the command
> truncate table tab1;
> I found that the output of the first query as
>
> max
> -----
>
> (1 row)
> When I tried to insert a new row into the table tab1 I found that the
> value at column a incremented to the value 21.
> But I heard from my friends that the value of the serial column gets
> decremented whenever we issue the 'truncate table' command (in MS SQL
> SERVER).Is the concept same with PostgreSQL or not?Can anyone clarify me on
> this?

Your friends are mistaken. TRUNCATE does nothing to affect sequences.