Обсуждение: workaround for buggy strtod is not necessary

workaround for buggy strtod is not necessary

От
Zdenek Kotala
Дата:
Solaris had broken strtod function when parse "Inf" and "Nan". See
solaris.h. This bug has been fixed for all current versions of Solaris (
8, 9, 10). See

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-108993-62-1&searchclause=108993-62
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-112874-34-1&searchclause=112874-34

Workaround is not necessary now, but I'm not sure if workaround removing
is good idea. There are some possible variants:

1) keep workaround in the code for compatibility with unpatched system
and adjust comment in solaris.h

2) remove workaround and mention required Solaris patch in the
Solaris.FAQ document

3) add some test into configure script and use workaround only on
unpatched system. (It should be nightmare for packagers)

Any suggestion?
    Thanks Zdenek

Re: workaround for buggy strtod is not necessary

Дата:

#1.  What do you want to change about the existing comment?

/** Many versions of Solaris have broken strtod() --- see bug #4751182.* For the moment we just assume they all do;
it'sprobably not worth* the trouble to add a configure test for this.*/

Re: workaround for buggy strtod is not necessary

От
Zdenek Kotala
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> Solaris had broken strtod function when parse "Inf" and "Nan". See
>> solaris.h. This bug has been fixed for all current versions of Solaris (
>> 8, 9, 10). See
>>
>> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-108993-62-1&searchclause=108993-62
>> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-112874-34-1&searchclause=112874-34
>>

>> Workaround is not necessary now, but I'm not sure if workaround removing
>> is good idea. There are some possible variants:
>>

>> 1) keep workaround in the code for compatibility with unpatched system
>> and adjust comment in solaris.h
>>
>> 2) remove workaround and mention required Solaris patch in the
>> Solaris.FAQ document
>>
>> 3) add some test into configure script and use workaround only on
>> unpatched system. (It should be nightmare for packagers)
>
> #1.  What do you want to change about the existing comment?
>
> /*
>  * Many versions of Solaris have broken strtod() --- see bug #4751182.
>  * For the moment we just assume they all do; it's probably not worth
>  * the trouble to add a configure test for this.
>  */

/* Many versions of Solaris had broken strtod() -- see bug #4751182.
Now, it is fixed in recent versions of Solaris (8 and above -- see patch
108993-62 and 112874-34). However, there should be many unpatched
system. For the moment we just assume they all do; it's probably not
worth the trouble to add a configure test for this. */

It is only update that it is fixed and why workaround is not removed.
    Zdenek

Re: workaround for buggy strtod is not necessary

Дата:
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> >> Solaris had broken strtod function when parse "Inf" and "Nan". See
> >> solaris.h. This bug has been fixed for all current versions of Solaris (
> >> 8, 9, 10). See
> >>
> >> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-108993-62-1&searchclause=108993-62
> >> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-112874-34-1&searchclause=112874-34
> >>

> >> Workaround is not necessary now, but I'm not sure if workaround removing
> >> is good idea. There are some possible variants:
> >>

> >> 1) keep workaround in the code for compatibility with unpatched system
> >> and adjust comment in solaris.h
> >>
> >> 2) remove workaround and mention required Solaris patch in the
> >> Solaris.FAQ document
> >>
> >> 3) add some test into configure script and use workaround only on
> >> unpatched system. (It should be nightmare for packagers)
> >
> > #1.  What do you want to change about the existing comment?
> >
> > /*
> >  * Many versions of Solaris have broken strtod() --- see bug #4751182.
> >  * For the moment we just assume they all do; it's probably not worth
> >  * the trouble to add a configure test for this.
> >  */
> >

> /* Many versions of Solaris had broken strtod() -- see bug #4751182.
> Now, it is fixed in recent versions of Solaris (8 and above -- see patch
> 108993-62 and 112874-34). However, there should be many unpatched
> system. For the moment we just assume they all do; it's probably not
> worth the trouble to add a configure test for this. */
>

> It is only update that it is fixed and why workaround is not removed.

OK, great information, updated comment is:
/* * Many versions of Solaris have broken strtod() --- see bug #4751182. * This has been fixed in current versions of
Solaris:* * http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-108993-62-1&searchclause=108993-62 *
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-112874-34-1&searchclause=112874-34* * However, many people
mightnot have patched versions, so * still use our own fix for the buggy version. */

Re: workaround for buggy strtod is not necessary

От
Zdenek Kotala
Дата:
Bruce Momjian napsal(a):
> OK, great information, updated comment is:
>
>     /*
>      * Many versions of Solaris have broken strtod() --- see bug #4751182.
>      * This has been fixed in current versions of Solaris:
>      *
>      * http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-108993-62-1&searchclause=108993-62
>      * http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-112874-34-1&searchclause=112874-34
>      *
>      * However, many people might not have patched versions, so
>      * still use our own fix for the buggy version.
>      */

Excellent, thanks Bruce
    Zdenek