Обсуждение: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

От
Gevik Babakhani
Дата:
The development of the uuid datatype is yet in progress...
I was wondering if I should go ahead and add a macro datatype like the
SERIAL, only this time for the uuid.

something like:
create table tbl
(mypk SERIALGUID;
)

which creates

create table tbl
(mypk uuid default new_guid();
)

or do you think this would be an overkill?

regards,
Gevik.

Re: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

Дата:
Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> writes:
> I was wondering if I should go ahead and add a macro datatype like the
> SERIAL, only this time for the uuid.

This assumes a fact not in evidence, which is that we're going to accept
a uuid-generation function as part of core.  AFAIK the only reasonably
non-contentious part of this proposal is the ability to *store* uuids.
Generating new ones introduces a host of portability and other issues.

Considering the amount of pain involved in supporting SERIAL in the
parser, pg_dump, etc, I'd say that adding the above is a pretty certain
route to getting your patch rejected as too invasive.  If, three or four
versions down the road, large numbers of people are using uuid with the
same generation function, *then* it might be time to think about
introducing a macro type.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

От
Gevik Babakhani
Дата:
Understood, Thank you :)

> Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> writes:
> > I was wondering if I should go ahead and add a macro datatype like the
> > SERIAL, only this time for the uuid.
>
> This assumes a fact not in evidence, which is that we're going to accept
> a uuid-generation function as part of core.  AFAIK the only reasonably
> non-contentious part of this proposal is the ability to *store* uuids.
> Generating new ones introduces a host of portability and other issues.
>
> Considering the amount of pain involved in supporting SERIAL in the
> parser, pg_dump, etc, I'd say that adding the above is a pretty certain
> route to getting your patch rejected as too invasive.  If, three or four
> versions down the road, large numbers of people are using uuid with the
> same generation function, *then* it might be time to think about
> introducing a macro type.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Sonntag, 17. September 2006 01:47 schrieb Gevik Babakhani:
> The development of the uuid datatype is yet in progress...
> I was wondering if I should go ahead and add a macro datatype like the
> SERIAL, only this time for the uuid.

Could you do this using a domain?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

От
Gevik Babakhani
Дата:
On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 13:20 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 17. September 2006 01:47 schrieb Gevik Babakhani:
> > The development of the uuid datatype is yet in progress...
> > I was wondering if I should go ahead and add a macro datatype like the
> > SERIAL, only this time for the uuid.
>
> Could you do this using a domain?

Tom had a very good point about this. So developing a SERIAL like thing
for the uuid is something that we are going to see the need in the
future.

Re: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Montag, 18. September 2006 13:28 schrieb Gevik Babakhani:
> > Could you do this using a domain?
>
> Tom had a very good point about this.

And that point was?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

От
Gevik Babakhani
Дата:
It was

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 13:47 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Montag, 18. September 2006 13:28 schrieb Gevik Babakhani:
> > > Could you do this using a domain?
> >
> > Tom had a very good point about this.
>
> And that point was?

Re: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Montag, 18. September 2006 13:50 schrieb Gevik Babakhani:
> It was

My question was, "Could you do this using a domain?".  The possible answers to
that are "Yes" and "No", neither of which appears below, nor does "domain".

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Opinion about macro for the uuid datatype.

От
Gevik Babakhani
Дата:
On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 14:23 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Montag, 18. September 2006 13:50 schrieb Gevik Babakhani:
> > It was
>
> My question was, "Could you do this using a domain?".  The possible answers to
> that are "Yes" and "No", neither of which appears below, nor does "domain".

"I don't know" could have been also a possible answer ;)

But yes, It is perfectly possible to do that using a domain:

something like:

CREATE DOMAIN SERIAL_GUID uuid DEFAULT new_guid();

Regards,
Gevik.