Обсуждение: Re: group by points

Re: group by points

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> suppose we have something like this:
>
> upd_views=# create table tabla1 (col1 point);

[...]

> then, this select will give an error:
>
> upd_views=# select col1, count(*) from tabla1 group by col1;
> ERROR:  could not identify an ordering operator for type point
> HINT:  Use an explicit ordering operator or modify the query.
> upd_views=#
>
> i guess this is related to:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-08/msg00809.php
>
> so, what happened with this idea? there is another way to automagicaly
> identify an "equality operator" for datatypes like 'point'?

I don't think that there is a connection to the message you quote.

In order to (efficiently) process a GROUP BY clause, you need a
total ordering on the data type that you group by, i.e. an ordering
such that for any two data x and y you have either x < y or x > x
or x = y.

There is no reasonable total ordering on the real plain, so you will
have to roll your own. How about:

select point(col1[0], col1[1]), count(*) from tabla1 group by col1[0],
col1[1];

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: group by points

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:23:28 +0200, Albe Laurenz <all@adv.magwien.gv.at> wrote:

> In order to (efficiently) process a GROUP BY clause, you need a
> total ordering on the data type that you group by, i.e. an ordering
> such that for any two data x and y you have either x < y or x > x
> or x = y.

An equality operator is good enough if the number of unique groups isn't too
large, so that a hash aggregate plan works efficiently.

Re: group by points

Дата:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:23:28 +0200,
>   Albe Laurenz <all@adv.magwien.gv.at> wrote:
>> In order to (efficiently) process a GROUP BY clause, you need a
>> total ordering on the data type that you group by, i.e. an ordering
>> such that for any two data x and y you have either x < y or x > x
>> or x = y.

> An equality operator is good enough if the number of unique groups isn't too
> large, so that a hash aggregate plan works efficiently.

Doesn't help for the case at hand, since point_eq isn't marked hashable
either.  It would be good to fix things so that the system doesn't
insist on having the sorting option available, though.
        regards, tom lane

Re: group by points

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 18:38:35 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> writes:
> > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:23:28 +0200,
> >   Albe Laurenz <all@adv.magwien.gv.at> wrote:
> >> In order to (efficiently) process a GROUP BY clause, you need a
> >> total ordering on the data type that you group by, i.e. an ordering
> >> such that for any two data x and y you have either x < y or x > x
> >> or x = y.
>
> > An equality operator is good enough if the number of unique groups isn't too
> > large, so that a hash aggregate plan works efficiently.
>
> Doesn't help for the case at hand, since point_eq isn't marked hashable
> either.  It would be good to fix things so that the system doesn't
> insist on having the sorting option available, though.

Yeah, I thought about that later on my way home. You need to have a hash
function that maps equal values to the same hash bucket or things don't
work.