Обсуждение: Please help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

Please help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

От
lmyho
Дата:
installedthe PostgreSQL8.1 and pgAdmin3 on a Debian system, using the apt-get install command.  Apparently, the initial
databaseand the user "postgres" have also been automatically created during the installation.  <br /><br /> Which is
good. But I've got big trouble to login to this initial db by using this auto-created username "postgres" through
pgAdmin:((( The first try failed due to "Ident authentication failed", so I follow the suggestion on the pop-up window
ofpgAdmin3, and changed the ident method in the pg_hba.conf file all to md5 to try again, but the database now ask me
forthe password!! which I couldn't figure out the passwd so I tried to created rules in the pg_ident.conf file to map
boththe ordinary user and root user od Debian system to postgres, and tried again.  But still failed,:(((  "ident
authenticationfailed"again!!!:(((  I've tried many times for all I could think and failed everytime failed:(((  By the
wayeach time before I try, I did "pg_ctl reload", and I could see the failure reason changed after I do reload.<br
/><br/> I've sent mail to other list but no anwser back.  I believe people in this group must know what's the reason
andsolution.  So would you please help me?  So if there is auto-created password for this auto-created postgres user,
pleaseanyone tell me what it is??  Also otherwise, how can I login using the "ident auth" method through pgAdmin3 (just
locally)on the Debian system??<br /><br /> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thank you so much for help!!!<br
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman4/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://beta.messenger.yahoo.com">Yahoo!
Messengerwith Voice.</a> Call regular phones from your PC for low, low rates.

Re: Please help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

От
"Adrian Maier"
Дата:
On 3/28/06, lmyho <lm_yho@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Dear All,
>
>  Which is good.  But I've got big trouble to login to this initial db by
> using this auto-created username "postgres" through pgAdmin:(((  The first
> try failed due to "Ident authentication failed", so I follow the suggestion
> on the pop-up window of pgAdmin3, and changed the ident method in the
> pg_hba.conf file all to md5 to try again, but the database now ask me for
> the password!! which I couldn't figure out the passwd so I tried to created
> rules in the pg_ident.conf file to map both the ordinary user and root user
> od Debian system to postgres, and tried again.  But still failed,:(((
> "ident authentication failed"again!!!:(((  I've tried many times for all I
> could think and failed everytime failed:(((  By the way each time before I
> try, I did "pg_ctl reload", and I could see the failure reason changed after
> I do reload.
>
>  I've sent mail to other list but no anwser back.  I believe people in this
> group must know what's the reason and solution.  So would you please help
> me?  So if there is auto-created password for this auto-created postgres
> user, please anyone tell me what it is??

You could try to change the ident method to trust (in pg_hba.conf). This
should allow you to login.
Then, set the password of the postgres user (alter user postgres with password
'blabla1212' ; ).  Then you could change the ident method back to md5 .

Adrian Maier

Re: Please help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

От
Martin Pitt
Дата:
Hi lmyho,

lmyho [2006-03-28  0:17 -0800]:
>   I am totally new to the PostgreSQL, and pgAdmin.  I really need
>   your help.
>
>  I just installed the PostgreSQL8.1 and pgAdmin3 on a Debian system,
>  using the apt-get install command.  Apparently, the initial
>  database and the user "postgres" have also been automatically
>  created during the installation.

Please feel free to mail me directly
(postgresql-8.1@packages.debian.org) for questions related to the
Debian packages. It might be regarded as noise on the upstream lists.

>  Which is good.  But I've got big trouble to login to this initial
>  db by using this auto-created username "postgres" through
>  pgAdmin:(((  The first try failed due to "Ident authentication
>  failed"

The 'postgres' user in Debian is a system user with a locked password,
since it is not recommended to use it for normal work with the
database. As /usr/share/postgresql-common/README.Debian describes, you
should first create your own database user and work with that. Then
the default 'ident' authentication scheme will work, and you are free
to set a password for your db user as well (so that connecting from
remote computer over TCP works as well).

If you really need to connect as user postgres to do administrative
tasks, then the easiest solution is to set a password for the user
postgres, as already mentioned in the previous reply.

HTH,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Re: Please help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

От
lmyho

> You could try to change the ident method to trust (in pg_hba.conf). This
> should allow you to login.
> Then, set the password of the postgres user (alter user postgres with password
> 'blabla1212' ; ).  Then you could change the ident method back to md5 .

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for help!!  I've made the change and I am able to login using pgAdmin3
now.:)

Trying to learn more about PostgreSQL!

Thanks!!!
leo

http://mail.yahoo.com

PostgreSQL not stsrt!:( -Re: Please help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

От
lmyho
Дата:
>>  Which is good.  But I've got big trouble to login to this initial db by
>> using this auto-created username "postgres" through pgAdmin:(((  The first
>>try failed due to "Ident authentication failed", so I follow the suggestion
>>on the pop-up window of pgAdmin3, and changed the ident method in the
>> pg_hba.conf file all to md5 to try again, but the database now ask me for
>> the password!! which I couldn't figure out the passwd so I tried to created
>> rules in the pg_ident.conf file to map both the ordinary user and root user
>> od Debian system to postgres, and tried again.  But still failed,:(((
>> "ident authentication failed"again!!!:(((  I've tried many times for all I
>> could think and failed everytime failed:(((  By the way each time before I
>> try, I did "pg_ctl reload", and I could see the failure reason changed after
>> I do reload.
>
>You could try to change the ident method to trust (in pg_hba.conf). This
>should allow you to login.
>Then, set the password of the postgres user (alter user postgres with password
>'blabla1212' ; ).  Then you could change the ident method back to md5 .
>

>Adrian Maier
Hi Adrian and All,
I've got trouble again!:(( I changed the possword of postgres yesterday following the inst you gave, everything worked
fineafter the change, and I was able to login to the initial db through pgAdmin3 as the user postgres. I loged out of
theDebian system until after 1am this very morning, and everything was fine at that time.

But when I tried to login again to day today right now, I got problem.  The Debian system started booting, everything
goesfine until at the moment to start the postgresql server.  The booting msg shows "Starting postgreSQL 8.1 database
server:main", and then hung forever and not move anymore.  I have to turn off the computer power to stop it!  I tried
tologed in via the Recovery mode and was able to login as root, but I don't know what to do about the PostgreSQL and
whateverrelated system booting process at the command line mode??:((

So is there anything has been wrong with what I did yesterday? Does the password change of user postgres has some
impacton the Debian system booting?

Please help me out of this.  The PostgreSQl 8.1 just installed, not in use at all, all has been done on it was the
changeof the password of user postgres, in order to login to the initial db through pgAdmin3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thank you in advance!!!
leo

Re: PostgreSQL not stsrt!:( -Re: Please help, pgAdmin3

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
-hackers is not the place for these questions. Please ask your questions
in the correct forum, possibly pgsql-general. -hackers is for discussion
of backend development.

cheers

andrew