Обсуждение: -X flag in pg_dump

-X flag in pg_dump

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
What use is the -X flag to pg_dump. The code say that if one add a setting
"feature" to -X then there should also be a flag "--feature". So we have
for example:
 -X disable-triggers

and
 --disable-triggers

If all the -X flags come in a long form as well, then what use is the -X
at all? Why would one want to use -X disable-triggers instead of
--disable-triggers ?

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: -X flag in pg_dump

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

> What use is the -X flag to pg_dump?

Let me just state before someone else does, that I don't want to remove
-X. The question is if one should add new flags to it or simply just use
the long form for new ones.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: -X flag in pg_dump

Дата:
Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> What use is the -X flag to pg_dump. The code say that if one add a setting
> "feature" to -X then there should also be a flag "--feature". So we have
> for example:
>
>   -X disable-triggers
>
> and
>
>   --disable-triggers
>
> If all the -X flags come in a long form as well, then what use is the -X
> at all? Why would one want to use -X disable-triggers instead of
> --disable-triggers ?

The issue is that some operating systems do not support long options, so
-X option is really -X and an argument, while --option is a long option.

We have our own getopt.c library so I am unsure we really need have
cases that don't support long options anymore.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: -X flag in pg_dump

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> If all the -X flags come in a long form as well, then what use is the
> -X at all? Why would one want to use -X disable-triggers instead of
> --disable-triggers ?

This was added before we had portable long options.  I suppose we could
phase it out.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: -X flag in pg_dump

От
Andrew Dunstan

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
>

>>If all the -X flags come in a long form as well, then what use is the
>>-X at all? Why would one want to use -X disable-triggers instead of
>>--disable-triggers ?
>>

>This was added before we had portable long options.  I suppose we could
>phase it out.

Excellent idea. Let's start by deprecating it in a prominent note in
pg_dump.c. Maybe Dennis could add that to whatever patch he's preparing.

cheers

andrew

Re: -X flag in pg_dump

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> > If all the -X flags come in a long form as well, then what use is the
> > -X at all? Why would one want to use -X disable-triggers instead of
> > --disable-triggers ?
>
> This was added before we had portable long options.  I suppose we could
> phase it out.

Yes, I think you are right.

Pennsylvania19073