Обсуждение: PostgreSQL Solaris packages now in beta

PostgreSQL Solaris packages now in beta

От
Robert Lor
Дата:
With big thanks to Josh Berkus and Devrim Gunduz, I'm happy to announce
that Sun has just released a Solaris distribution of PostgreSQL 8.1.2
with ready-to-install packages for both Sparc and x86.  These packages
are currently in Beta, and we expect to FCS in 2 -3 weeks.  The
packages, along with an install guide, are available for download at
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/solarispackages/

We have tightly integrated PostgreSQL with Solaris in a manner similar
to the Linux distributions available on postgresql.org. In fact, the
directory structures are identical.  Starting with Solaris 10 Update 2,
PostgreSQL will be distributed with every copy of Solaris, via download
and physical media.

We welcome any and all feedback on this PostgreSQL Solaris
distribution.   Please subscribe to the
solarispackages-general@pgfoundry.org mailing list to give us feedback:
http://pgfoundry.org/mail/?group_id=1000063

BTW, I'm a senior engineer at Sun Microsystems, recently working with
the PostgreSQL community (namely Josh Berkus, Devrim Gunduz, and Gavin
Sherry) on the Solaris Packages Project at PgFoundry,  PostgreSQL
performance optimization on Solaris, and leveraging Solaris 10
capabilities (e.g. DTrace) specifically for PostgreSQL.  I'll be posting
a Solaris performance tuning guide in a few weeks.

Regards,
Robert Lor

Re: PostgreSQL Solaris packages now in beta

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

> We have tightly integrated PostgreSQL with Solaris in a manner similar
> to the Linux distributions available on postgresql.org. In fact, the
> directory structures are identical.  Starting with Solaris 10 Update 2,
> PostgreSQL will be distributed with every copy of Solaris, via download
> and physical media.

This means that we need feedback on these packages, as much as we can get.
Once Sun starts distributing them via Solaris it will be harder to make
architectural changes.  Thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: PostgreSQL Solaris packages now in beta

Дата:
Do they work on x86-64 processors using the Solaris compiler?  We have a
patch for it in CVS but it is not in 8.1.X, and we could use someone to
eyeball and test it.

Robert Lor wrote:

> With big thanks to Josh Berkus and Devrim Gunduz, I'm happy to announce
> that Sun has just released a Solaris distribution of PostgreSQL 8.1.2
> with ready-to-install packages for both Sparc and x86.  These packages
> are currently in Beta, and we expect to FCS in 2 -3 weeks.  The
> packages, along with an install guide, are available for download at
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/solarispackages/
>
> We have tightly integrated PostgreSQL with Solaris in a manner similar
> to the Linux distributions available on postgresql.org. In fact, the
> directory structures are identical.  Starting with Solaris 10 Update 2,
> PostgreSQL will be distributed with every copy of Solaris, via download
> and physical media.
>
> We welcome any and all feedback on this PostgreSQL Solaris
> distribution.   Please subscribe to the
> solarispackages-general@pgfoundry.org mailing list to give us feedback:
> http://pgfoundry.org/mail/?group_id=1000063
>
> BTW, I'm a senior engineer at Sun Microsystems, recently working with
> the PostgreSQL community (namely Josh Berkus, Devrim Gunduz, and Gavin
> Sherry) on the Solaris Packages Project at PgFoundry,  PostgreSQL
> performance optimization on Solaris, and leveraging Solaris 10
> capabilities (e.g. DTrace) specifically for PostgreSQL.  I'll be posting
> a Solaris performance tuning guide in a few weeks.
>
> Regards,
> Robert Lor

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL Solaris packages now in beta

От
Robert Lor
Дата:
Bruce,

The binary was compiled in 32bit mode using Sun Studio compiler, and we
plan to do 64bit soon. Can you point me to the patch? We can certainly
test it!

Regards,
Robert

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Do they work on x86-64 processors using the Solaris compiler?  We have a
>patch for it in CVS but it is not in 8.1.X, and we could use someone to
>eyeball and test it.

Re: PostgreSQL Solaris packages now in beta

Дата:
Robert Lor wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> The binary was compiled in 32bit mode using Sun Studio compiler, and we
> plan to do 64bit soon. Can you point me to the patch? We can certainly
> test it!

Download CVS HEAD and give it a try.  The file that was created for the
port is backend/port/tas/solaris_x86_64.s.  It is an assembler file.

Pennsylvania19073