Обсуждение: Bug: random() can return 1.0

Bug: random() can return 1.0

От
Andrew - Supernews
Дата:
src/backend/utils/adt/float.c:

/**        drandom        - returns a random number*/
Datum
drandom(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{float8        result;
/* result 0.0-1.0 */result = ((double) random()) / ((double) MAX_RANDOM_VALUE);
PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(result);
}

Whoever wrote this obviously did intend it to return values in [0.0,1.0]
but this makes it totally useless for generating uniform random ranges
in the usual way, since random() * N will return N with probability 2^-31.
The documentation is sufficiently imprecise about this to cause confusion
(seen in questions asked on the IRC channel), and the problem can't be
worked around at the application level without knowing the value of
MAX_RANDOM_VALUE in order to correct the range to [0.0,1.0).

--
Andrew, Supernews

Re: Bug: random() can return 1.0

Дата:
Andrew - Supernews wrote:
> src/backend/utils/adt/float.c:
>
> /*
>  *        drandom        - returns a random number
>  */
> Datum
> drandom(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
> {
>     float8        result;
>
>     /* result 0.0-1.0 */
>     result = ((double) random()) / ((double) MAX_RANDOM_VALUE);
>
>     PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(result);
> }
>
> Whoever wrote this obviously did intend it to return values in [0.0,1.0]
> but this makes it totally useless for generating uniform random ranges
> in the usual way, since random() * N will return N with probability 2^-31.
> The documentation is sufficiently imprecise about this to cause confusion
> (seen in questions asked on the IRC channel), and the problem can't be
> worked around at the application level without knowing the value of
> MAX_RANDOM_VALUE in order to correct the range to [0.0,1.0).

Because random returns a double, I think it is very possible that we
could return 1 due to rounding, and I see no way to avoid that.  I think
re-running random if it returns 1 is likely to return even less random
values.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Bug: random() can return 1.0

Дата:
> Because random returns a double, I think it is very possible that we
> could return 1 due to rounding,

Not unless your machine has a "double" type with less than 32 bits of
precision, which seems pretty unlikely.  It'd be sufficient to do
/* result 0.0 <= x < 1.0 */result = ((double) random()) / ((double) MAX_RANDOM_VALUE + 1.0);

        regards, tom lane