Обсуждение: Usernames with hyphens

Usernames with hyphens

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Hi,

AFAIK, PostgreSQL does not allow hyphens in usernames and databases,
right?

template1=# SELECT version();                                                   version
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PostgreSQL8.0.3 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)

3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42)
(1 row)

template1=# CREATE DATABASE hyphen-test;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "-" at character 22
LINE 1: CREATE DATABASE hyphen-test;                             ^
This is the same for users;

template1=# CREATE USER hyphen-test;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "-" at character 18
LINE 1: CREATE USER hyphen-test;                         ^
However, createuser allows us to create users that include a hyphen:

# createuser hyphen-test -U postgres
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) n
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) n
Password:
CREATE USER

but it is not allowed in CREATE DATABASE syntax:

template1=# CREATE DATABASE hyphen_test with owner hyphen-test;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "-" at character 46
LINE 1: CREATE DATABASE hyphen_test with owner hyphen-test;

template1=# SELECT * from pg_shadow WHERE usename='hyphen-test';   usename   | usesysid | usecreatedb | usesuper |
usecatupd| passwd |

valuntil | useconfig
- -------------+----------+-------------+----------+-----------+--------+----------+----------- hyphen-test |      103
|f           | f        | f         |        |

(1 row)

Is it a bug in createuser or am I missing a point? Same applies to
createdb:

# createdb hyphen-test -U postgres
Password:
CREATE DATABASE

Regards,

- --
Devrim GUNDUZ
http://www.tdmsoft.com.tr                      http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Usernames with hyphens

От
"Weilguni Mario"
Дата:
In fakt, it allows users with hyphens, but you have to use quotes:
CREATE USER "foo-bar";
DROP USER "foo-bar";

Regards,Mario Weilguni

[...]

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Usernames with hyphens

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Devrim,

Try:

CREATE USER "hyphen-test";

Regards, Dave

Re: Usernames with hyphens

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jun 13, 2005, at 8:30 PM, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> AFAIK, PostgreSQL does not allow hyphens in usernames and
> databases, right?

AFAIK, you can use whatever you want if you double-quote it.

test=# create database "hyphen-test";
LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484134, limited by database
"test"
CREATE DATABASE
test=# \c hyphen-test
You are now connected to database "hyphen-test".

Note that this is the SQL command, rather than another command such
as the createdb or createuser client apps or psql. For example, \c
works without the quotes.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Usernames with hyphens