Обсуждение: Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

Дата:
Edmund Dengler <edmundd@eSentire.com> writes:
> Is there an issue when a large number of INHERITS tables exist for
> planning?

Well, there are a number of issues whenever a single query references
a whole lot of tables in any fashion.  It's only with Neil Conway's
rewrite of the List package in 8.0 that we had any hope of less than
O(N^2) behavior for practically any measure of query complexity N.
I have been spending some time over the past week or so attacking
other O(N^2) behaviors, but it's not a finished project yet.

I tried to reproduce your issue by doing

    create table p1 (f1 int, f2 bigint);

    create table c0() inherits (p1);
    create table c1() inherits (p1);
    create table c2() inherits (p1);
    create table c2298() inherits (p1);
    create table c2299() inherits (p1);

and then profiling

    select * from p1;

With no data in the tables, of course this is just measuring planning
time and executor startup/shutdown overhead.  But I suppose that you
don't have a whole lot of data in the tables either, because the data
fetching stage is surely pretty linear and you'd not be complaining
about overhead if there were much data to be read.

What I see in the profile is

  %   cumulative   self              self     total
 time   seconds   seconds    calls   s/call   s/call  name
 42.04     15.58    15.58     9214     0.00     0.00  list_nth_cell
 20.29     23.10     7.52 34524302     0.00     0.00  SHMQueueNext
  8.34     26.19     3.09    29939     0.00     0.00  LockCountMyLocks
  5.64     28.28     2.09  2960617     0.00     0.00  AllocSetAlloc
  2.37     29.16     0.88     2354     0.00     0.00  AllocSetCheck
  2.29     30.01     0.85   302960     0.00     0.00  hash_search
  2.13     30.80     0.79  2902873     0.00     0.00  MemoryContextAlloc

The list_nth operations are all coming from rt_fetch() macros, so we
could probably fix that by replacing rangetable Lists by arrays.  This
seems doable, but also tedious and bug-prone; there are too many places
that figure they can randomly add onto rtable lists.

What I'm more interested in at the moment are the next two entries,
SHMQueueNext and LockCountMyLocks --- it turns out that almost all the
SHMQueueNext calls are coming from LockCountMyLocks, which is invoked
during LockAcquire.  This is another O(N^2) loop, and it's really a
whole lot nastier than the rangetable ones, because it executes with the
LockMgrLock held.

I spent a little time trying to see if we could avoid doing
LockCountMyLocks altogether, but it didn't look very promising.  What
I am thinking though is that we could implement LockCountMyLocks as
either a scan through all the proclocks attached to the target proc
(the current way) or as a scan through all the proclocks attached to
the target lock (proclocks are threaded both ways).  There is no hard
upper bound on the number of locks a proc holds, whereas there is a
bound of MaxBackends on the number of procs linked to a lock.  (Well,
theoretically it could be 2*MaxBackends considering the possibility
of session locks, but that could only happen if all the backends are
trying to vacuum the same relation.)  So it seems like it might be a win
to scan over the per-lock list instead.  But I'm very unsure about
what the *average* case is, instead of the worst case.

I'm also thinking that the shared memory lock structure may be
overdesigned now that we've introduced the backend-private LocalLock
table --- in particular, it's not clear why we still include transaction
IDs in PROCLOCKTAG rather than leaving the backend to track all the
different reasons why it wants to hold a lock.  If we could get rid of
that then LockCountMyLocks reduces to a single PROCLOCK hashtable
lookup.

Thoughts?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
> What I see in the profile is
>
>   %   cumulative   self              self     total
>  time   seconds   seconds    calls   s/call   s/call  name
>  42.04     15.58    15.58     9214     0.00     0.00  list_nth_cell
>  20.29     23.10     7.52 34524302     0.00     0.00  SHMQueueNext
>   8.34     26.19     3.09    29939     0.00     0.00  LockCountMyLocks
>   5.64     28.28     2.09  2960617     0.00     0.00  AllocSetAlloc
>   2.37     29.16     0.88     2354     0.00     0.00  AllocSetCheck
>   2.29     30.01     0.85   302960     0.00     0.00  hash_search
>   2.13     30.80     0.79  2902873     0.00     0.00  MemoryContextAlloc

Looks bad... but how does it look for 1000 inherited relations? My
feeling is that we should not be optimizing the case above 1000
relations. That many partitions is very unwieldy.

If you really do need that many, you can go to the trouble of grouping
them in two levels of nesting, so you have a root table, multiple month
tables and then each month table with multiple day tables (etc).

> What I'm more interested in at the moment are the next two entries,
> SHMQueueNext and LockCountMyLocks --- it turns out that almost all the
> SHMQueueNext calls are coming from LockCountMyLocks, which is invoked
> during LockAcquire.  This is another O(N^2) loop, and it's really a
> whole lot nastier than the rangetable ones, because it executes with the
> LockMgrLock held.

ISTM that having LockAcquire as a stateless call isn't much use here.
Surely, caching the number of locks so we can avoid the call entirely
when making repeated calls is the way to go...

> I spent a little time trying to see if we could avoid doing
> LockCountMyLocks altogether, but it didn't look very promising.

Or is that what you meant?

>   What
> I am thinking though is that we could implement LockCountMyLocks as
> either a scan through all the proclocks attached to the target proc
> (the current way) or as a scan through all the proclocks attached to
> the target lock (proclocks are threaded both ways).  There is no hard
> upper bound on the number of locks a proc holds, whereas there is a
> bound of MaxBackends on the number of procs linked to a lock.  (Well,
> theoretically it could be 2*MaxBackends considering the possibility
> of session locks, but that could only happen if all the backends are
> trying to vacuum the same relation.)  So it seems like it might be a win
> to scan over the per-lock list instead.  But I'm very unsure about
> what the *average* case is, instead of the worst case.

Changing that behaviour would effect all other call locations, so I'm
not sure I'd want an optimization of this rare case to have such a far
reaching effect.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

Дата:
> Looks bad... but how does it look for 1000 inherited relations? My
> feeling is that we should not be optimizing the case above 1000
> relations. That many partitions is very unwieldy.

Well, it's not so much that I care about queries with 1000+ relations,
as that this is a good way to stress-test the code and find out where
the performance issues are.  There are many thousand lines of code that
can never be performance-sensitive, but to expose the ones that are
it helps to push the envelope a bit.

Until Neil fixed the list.c package in 8.0, we had pretty much zero
chance of avoiding O(N^2) or worse behavior on almost any measure of
query size N that you cared to name; because most of the internal data
structures depend on lists.  (You do know that Postgres was once written
in Lisp, right?)  Now that that basic issue is taken care of, it's worth
looking at secondary bad behaviors ... I've been doing some hacking in
this area lately, but it's not all fixed yet.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> Well, it's not so much that I care about queries with 1000+ relations,
> as that this is a good way to stress-test the code and find out where
> the performance issues are.  There are many thousand lines of code that
> can never be performance-sensitive, but to expose the ones that are
> it helps to push the envelope a bit.

Once we have partitioning and people set up automated scripts to
partition off stuff, we may well end up with 1000+ table queries...

Chris

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

От
Greg Stark
Дата:

> If you really do need that many, you can go to the trouble of grouping
> them in two levels of nesting, so you have a root table, multiple month
> tables and then each month table with multiple day tables (etc).

I wonder if testing deeply nested inheritance graphs would show up an entirely
different set of problem areas.

--
greg

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 01:10 -0400, Greg Stark wrote:

> > If you really do need that many, you can go to the trouble of grouping
> > them in two levels of nesting, so you have a root table, multiple month
> > tables and then each month table with multiple day tables (etc).
>
> I wonder if testing deeply nested inheritance graphs would show up an entirely
> different set of problem areas.

I'm not sure two or three levels is "deeply nested", but I suspect you
are correct.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 12:59 +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Well, it's not so much that I care about queries with 1000+ relations,
> > as that this is a good way to stress-test the code and find out where
> > the performance issues are.  There are many thousand lines of code that
> > can never be performance-sensitive, but to expose the ones that are
> > it helps to push the envelope a bit.
>
> Once we have partitioning and people set up automated scripts to
> partition off stuff, we may well end up with 1000+ table queries...

I can see why you think that, but there will always be pressure to
reduce the number of partitions for a variety of reasons. IMHO that will
lead to an optimum range of values.

To me, it seems likely there would be a recommendation along the lines
of: divide the table up naturally in a way that gives between 10 and 500
partitions that are mostly roughly equally sized.

Using more than that could lead to some fairly strange designs.

Anyway, lets wait and see.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
> > Looks bad... but how does it look for 1000 inherited relations? My
> > feeling is that we should not be optimizing the case above 1000
> > relations. That many partitions is very unwieldy.
>
> Well, it's not so much that I care about queries with 1000+ relations,
> as that this is a good way to stress-test the code and find out where
> the performance issues are.  There are many thousand lines of code that
> can never be performance-sensitive, but to expose the ones that are
> it helps to push the envelope a bit.

I very much agree and I also appreciate you taking the time to look into
this since it clearly has an effect on the usefulness of partitioning. I
wanted to give my opinion that more than 1000 is not a frequent use
case.

> Until Neil fixed the list.c package in 8.0, we had pretty much zero
> chance of avoiding O(N^2) or worse behavior on almost any measure of
> query size N that you cared to name; because most of the internal data
> structures depend on lists.  (You do know that Postgres was once written
> in Lisp, right?)  Now that that basic issue is taken care of, it's worth
> looking at secondary bad behaviors ... I've been doing some hacking in
> this area lately, but it's not all fixed yet.

Yes, know about that; I agree with the general principles you discuss.

Your suggested fix to the 2000+ inherited relation problem seemed like
it would apply to an area that most people would never use, yet would
have an effect on anybody using LockAcquire. IMHO that is not worth the
effort or risk, and that is from somebody that you know has been
involved in tracking down O(N^2) behaviour in other parts of the code.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: [GENERAL] INHERITS and planning

Дата:
> Your suggested fix to the 2000+ inherited relation problem seemed like
> it would apply to an area that most people would never use, yet would
> have an effect on anybody using LockAcquire.

Just FYI, the proposed fix is already in, and I think it's a net win for
anyone.  LockCountMyLocks was really an artifact of a lock API that's
been superseded by events --- namely the assumption that we want to take
locks in the names of particular transactions rather than in the names
of particular backends.  I put that in around 7.1 or so, primarily to
support "session locks" for VACUUM, but designed it the way I did with
the idea that subtransactions would someday want it.  In the event,
subtransactions didn't want it --- it was a lot cheaper to add the
backend-private LOCALLOCK tables and make all the subtransaction
bookkeeping happen internally to a backend.  Now that we have LOCALLOCK
the obvious next step is to manage session locks entirely within
LOCALLOCK too, and reduce the shared-memory state to essentially one bit
per lock per backend: "I hold it" or "I don't hold it".  When you know
there is only one proclock per backend, there's no need to search for
other ones and thus LockCountMyLocks goes away again.

            regards, tom lane