Обсуждение: LEFT JOIN used in psql describe.c

LEFT JOIN used in psql describe.c

Дата:
Does anyone know why so many LEFT JOINs are used in psql/describe.c to
join to the pg_namespace table, like here:
  printfPQExpBuffer(&buf,     "SELECT c.oid,\n"     "  n.nspname,\n"     "  c.relname\n"     "FROM pg_catalog.pg_class
c\n"    "     LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace\n");

   processNamePattern(&buf, pattern, false, false,      "n.nspname", "c.relname", NULL,
"pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid)");

I thought a pg_class row always pointed to a valid pg_namespace row because
of our dependency restrictions.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: LEFT JOIN used in psql describe.c

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: LEFT JOIN used in psql describe.c

Дата:
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
>> Does anyone know why so many LEFT JOINs are used in psql/describe.c to
>> join to the pg_namespace table, like here:

> Yes, pg_relnamespace is definitely not null. I've actually already removed
> the left joins from my \df patch, since I had to rewrite some of the
> queries anyway. If this is wrong, please let me know of course!

I think the idea was to be certain to show every pg_proc entry (or other
catalog for other \d commands), no matter how badly broken the catalog
interrelationships might be.  If there's not an unarguable reason
for eliminating the left joins I'd be inclined to keep it like that.
What does an inner join buy here, other than brittleness?

(Yeah, I have the perspective of a developer who deals with broken
situations every day.  So?)
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> >> Does anyone know why so many LEFT JOINs are used in psql/describe.c to
> >> join to the pg_namespace table, like here:
>
> > Yes, pg_relnamespace is definitely not null. I've actually already removed
> > the left joins from my \df patch, since I had to rewrite some of the
> > queries anyway. If this is wrong, please let me know of course!
>
> I think the idea was to be certain to show every pg_proc entry (or other
> catalog for other \d commands), no matter how badly broken the catalog
> interrelationships might be.  If there's not an unarguable reason
> for eliminating the left joins I'd be inclined to keep it like that.
> What does an inner join buy here, other than brittleness?
>
> (Yeah, I have the perspective of a developer who deals with broken
> situations every day.  So?)

If we have problems with the system catalogs, I don't see how this join
has a high probability of catching the problem.  If there was some known
problem of the join not always working, I could see the use of LEFT
JOIN, but there isn't, so it just seems confusing, and these queries are
used by others as models of how to do system joins, so could confuse our
users as well.

I think the LEFT JOIN should be removed unless there is a known problem,
and if one shows up, we can re-add them later.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: LEFT JOIN used in psql describe.c

Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, pg_relnamespace is definitely not null. I've actually already removed
> > > the left joins from my \df patch, since I had to rewrite some of the
> > > queries anyway. If this is wrong, please let me know of course!
> >
> > I think the idea was to be certain to show every pg_proc entry (or other
> > catalog for other \d commands), no matter how badly broken the catalog
> > interrelationships might be.  If there's not an unarguable reason
> > for eliminating the left joins I'd be inclined to keep it like that.
> > What does an inner join buy here, other than brittleness?
> >
> > (Yeah, I have the perspective of a developer who deals with broken
> > situations every day.  So?)
>
> If we have problems with the system catalogs, I don't see how this join
> has a high probability of catching the problem.  If there was some known
> problem of the join not always working, I could see the use of LEFT
> JOIN, but there isn't, so it just seems confusing, and these queries are
> used by others as models of how to do system joins, so could confuse our
> users as well.
>
> I think the LEFT JOIN should be removed unless there is a known problem,
> and if one shows up, we can re-add them later.

I still think that the LEFT JOINs used in psql system queries is
confusing and perhaps adds performance overhead while adding little
reliability, but no one else seems to think so so I will drop the idea.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: LEFT JOIN used in psql describe.c

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 10 May 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> I think the idea was to be certain to show every pg_proc entry (or other
>>> catalog for other \d commands), no matter how badly broken the catalog
>>> interrelationships might be.  If there's not an unarguable reason
>>> for eliminating the left joins I'd be inclined to keep it like that.
>>> What does an inner join buy here, other than brittleness?
>>>
>>> (Yeah, I have the perspective of a developer who deals with broken
>>> situations every day.  So?)
>>
>> If we have problems with the system catalogs, I don't see how this join
>> has a high probability of catching the problem.  If there was some known
>> problem of the join not always working, I could see the use of LEFT
>> JOIN, but there isn't, so it just seems confusing, and these queries are
>> used by others as models of how to do system joins, so could confuse our
>> users as well.
>>
>> I think the LEFT JOIN should be removed unless there is a known problem,
>> and if one shows up, we can re-add them later.
>
> I still think that the LEFT JOINs used in psql system queries is
> confusing and perhaps adds performance overhead while adding little
> reliability, but no one else seems to think so so I will drop the idea.

I'm a bit confused here, but I believe Tom (at least how I read it) was
agreeing with you about pulling the LEFT JOIN out ... "I think the LEFT
JOIN should be removed unless there is a known problem, and if one shows
up, we can re-add them later." ... or am I mis-quoting?

----

Re: LEFT JOIN used in psql describe.c

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >> If we have problems with the system catalogs, I don't see how this join
> >> has a high probability of catching the problem.  If there was some known
> >> problem of the join not always working, I could see the use of LEFT
> >> JOIN, but there isn't, so it just seems confusing, and these queries are
> >> used by others as models of how to do system joins, so could confuse our
> >> users as well.
> >>
> >> I think the LEFT JOIN should be removed unless there is a known problem,
> >> and if one shows up, we can re-add them later.
> >
> > I still think that the LEFT JOINs used in psql system queries is
> > confusing and perhaps adds performance overhead while adding little
> > reliability, but no one else seems to think so so I will drop the idea.
>
> I'm a bit confused here, but I believe Tom (at least how I read it) was
> agreeing with you about pulling the LEFT JOIN out ... "I think the LEFT
> JOIN should be removed unless there is a known problem, and if one shows
> up, we can re-add them later." ... or am I mis-quoting?

I am actually quoting myself in the posting, so the words are mine, not
Tom's.

The basic issue is code simplicity vs. robustness, and I am leaning to
the former because there is no known robustness problem.  It is actually
opposite of our opinions on checking for unreferenced files, where I
want robustness (because it is a known problem) and Tom wants simplicity
(though he is flexible on this), so it seems the two of us switch sides
occasionally.  :-)

Pennsylvania19073