Обсуждение: sync vs. fsync question

sync vs. fsync question

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Hi,

I had this question posed to me on IRC and I didn't know the answer.

If all that is needed to ensure integrity is that the WAL is fsynced,
what is wrong with just going:

wal_sync_method = fsync
fsync = false

??

Chris

Re: sync vs. fsync question

Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had this question posed to me on IRC and I didn't know the answer.
>
> If all that is needed to ensure integrity is that the WAL is fsynced,
> what is wrong with just going:
>
> wal_sync_method = fsync
> fsync = false

wal_sync_method is only used if fsync is true.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: sync vs. fsync question

Дата:
> what is wrong with just going:

> wal_sync_method = fsync
> fsync = false

fsync = false causes wal_sync_method to be ignored.  You get no syncing.
        regards, tom lane

Re: sync vs. fsync question

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
On 5/31/2004 9:45 PM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had this question posed to me on IRC and I didn't know the answer.
>
> If all that is needed to ensure integrity is that the WAL is fsynced,
> what is wrong with just going:
>
> wal_sync_method = fsync
> fsync = false

The assumption that WAL is all that is needed to ensure integrity is
wrong in the first place, unless you are going to keep the WAL forever
and never recycle the segments. What you're effectively asking for is
not to checkpoint any more.

Jan