Обсуждение: Email data type

Email data type

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:

Вложения

Re: Email data type

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Hi all, this is the alpha version for the new email data type,
> is not written as built in type but as plug in, Tome Lane and others
> drove me in this direction.
>
> The type is indexable and provide also conversion methods:
>
> text <--> email
> and the operator >>, is possible use it in select like:
>
> select * from my_user where email >> 'hotmail.com';
>
> this select will extract all records with an email inside
> the domain 'hotmail.com'.
>
> The validation routine is very simple, right now test only
> the presence of character '@' (it's an alpha version), I'd like
> to put it on pgfoundry but apparently my DNS are unable to resolve
> www.pgfoundry.org. I'll put this version as soon the address become
> available.
>
> This is the first time that I wrote code for postgresql so please, if
> you can, do a sort of code revision on it.
>
> Comments are welcomed.

Forget the version attached and use the version on pgfoundry.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Email data type

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 04:36:55 +0200, Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> The type is indexable and provide also conversion methods:
>
> text <--> email
> and the operator >>, is possible use it in select like:

When you are converting between text and email data, what format are the
text version of the address going to be? For example you might be using
rfc2821 encoding, rfc2822 encoding or concatenating the local part,
an @ sign and the domain name. Don't forget about domain literals.

Re: Email data type

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:

Re: Email data type

От
"Dave Page"

Why? What's wrong with private addresses?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Email data type

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 05:01:36PM +0200, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> | On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 04:36:55 +0200,
> |   Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> |
> |>The type is indexable and provide also conversion methods:
> |>
> |>text <--> email
> |>and the operator >>, is possible use it in select like:
> |

> | When you are converting between text and email data, what format are the
> | text version of the address going to be? For example you might be using
> | rfc2821 encoding, rfc2822 encoding or concatenating the local part,
> | an @ sign and the domain name. Don't forget about domain literals.
>
> Actually I use <local_part>@<domain_name>
>
> Also the validator will validate emails in this form, if you are thinking to
> validate emails as:
>
> "Gaetano M. Public"(junior)<gmendola@(new account)bigfoot.com>
>
> that are perfectly valid I think that it's a valid option to consider.
>
> About the domain literals, I think to validate it in the near future,
> rejecting private subnet according to this list:
>
> 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
> 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
> 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
> 169.254.0.0 -169.254.255.255

Bad idea. If I'm testing I'm likely to be testing with addresses on my
local network. My local network is in 10/8. The middleware or the
application should be making those decisions. But if you are going to
filter on IP space, also consider class D & E space.

Also, a@10.11.12.13 is a syntactically valid email address, in the .13
TLD. It does not deliver to 10.11.12.13, or anywhere else, as of
today, unless the MTA or local recursive resolver is broken (a common
case). a@[10.11.12.13] is a whole other thing. As is a@[::10.11.12.13]
and various other IPv6 variants.

a@foo.bar is syntactically valid. a@foo.invalid is syntactically valid, but
should be immediately rejected. a@example.com is valid, even if known to
be non-deliverable.

> I think I have to discard also the addresses with last octet equal to 256.

Or equal to 4872014, come to that. Any reason you're looking at 256
in particular? If you mean .255 (or .0) then don't fall into that trap -
there are perfectly valid, routable addresses ending in both .0 and
.255, despite what some folks in Redmond would have you believe.

> Any comments ?

Parsing email addresses is a significant part of my day job, and email
address validation is a lot harder than it looks at first sight.

Don't forget quoting, whitespace, escaping and nesting parenthetical
comments. Also, remember that A@b.com and a@b.com are different email
addresses, while a@b.com and a@B.com are the same email
address. POSTMASTER@b.com and postmaster@b.com are the same email
address. ABUse@b.com and abuse@b.com may be the same address or
different email addresses, depending on which religious faction you
belong to.

In some contexts the empty string is a valid email address. In some
contexts "Postmaster" is a valid email address.

Also, one persons definition of a valid email address will be very
different from another persons definition of such. Many of those
definitions require some DNS resolution to make the decision.

I'm not entirely convinced that an email address is a simple and
well-defined enough datatype to handle comprehensively within the
DB. The validation decisions are complex and vary from application to
application.

(I use two text columns - localpart and domainpart, with an indexon reverse(lower(domainpart)) and leave validation to
theapplication,myself).

Cheers, Steve

Re: Email data type

От
"Bort, Paul"
> From: Gaetano Mendola [mailto:mendola@bigfoot.com]
>
> I think I have to discard also the addresses with last octet
> equal to 256.
>
> Any comments ?

Any octet that contains a number less than 0 or greater than 255 should be
suspect.

Assuming you really meant 255:

It would be perfectly legal for an entity on the internet to have a block of
addresses with a subnet mask of less than 24 bits, which leads to legal
addresses that end in 255.

For example, if your company/university/black helicopter squad needed about
500 servers with direct presence, you might be assigned a block like
123.45.6.0/23. So the network address would be 123.45.6.0, the broadcast
address would be 123.45.7.255, and everything in between, including
123.45.6.255 and 123.45.7.0, would be available for your servers.

HTH,

Paul

Re: Email data type

От
"Dave Page"

I disagree - just because the database server cannot verify the the
existence of a domain does not mean that it isn't valid. I think only
addresses that are syntactically incorrect should be rejected.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Email data type

От
Gaetano Mendola