Обсуждение: Feature freeze approaching

Feature freeze approaching

Дата:
We have a feature freeze scheduled for either June 1 or whenever a major
feature is completed, whichever is last.

For Win32, we have open:
fsync (Tom)relative installs (Bruce)timezone (Magnus)

There is a company that wants to fund some PostgreSQL features but I
told them it is unlikely there features can be added in 7.5 and they
should target 7.6 at this point.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Feature freeze approaching

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Just to give some more incentive to work at June 1st ... Native Win32
would be *really* nice to showcase at OSCON in July, if we could pull off
a relatively clean/strong beta period ...

----

Re: Feature freeze approaching

От
Andrew Dunstan

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>Just to give some more incentive to work at June 1st ... Native Win32
>would be *really* nice to showcase at OSCON in July, if we could pull off
>a relatively clean/strong beta period ...

Especially if we have the service code and a spiffy installer ...

>On Fri, 14 May 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

>>We have a feature freeze scheduled for either June 1 or whenever a major
>>feature is completed, whichever is last.
>>
>>For Win32, we have open:
>>
>>    fsync (Tom)
>>    relative installs (Bruce)
>>    timezone (Magnus)

Is timezone still an open item? I thought it was done. Certainly we pass
the regression tests.

>>There is a company that wants to fund some PostgreSQL features but I
>>told them it is unlikely there features can be added in 7.5 and they
>>should target 7.6 at this point.

That gets me curiosity going ....

cheers

andrew

Re: Feature freeze approaching

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>>>We have a feature freeze scheduled for either June 1 or
>whenever a major
>>>feature is completed, whichever is last.
>>>
>>>For Win32, we have open:
>>>
>>>    fsync (Tom)
>>>    relative installs (Bruce)
>>>    timezone (Magnus)
>>>

>Is timezone still an open item? I thought it was done.
>Certainly we pass the regression tests.

Yes. I am working on two things here:
1) Replacing the TZ library for Unix as well, so we have the same code.
For one thing, it will be much better tested that way. This part is
pretty much done. This will also allow some changes to the APIs to get
rid of a lot of workarounds currently in the code (for example, tzset()
by default does not let the caller know if a valid timezone was
specified, it just sets it to GMT if an invalid one was. The code I have
now returns an error directly).

2) Pick upt he default OS timezone. This still need a little bit more
work. But the code as it stands on Win32 will give you GMT on startup
unless you specify a TZ in postgresql.conf. On Unix, it goes with the OS
timezone.

I expect to be done with this not too long from now, though.

//Magnus

Re: Feature freeze approaching

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
After a long battle with technology, mha@sollentuna.net ("Magnus Hagander"), an earthling, wrote:
> 2) Pick upt he default OS timezone. This still need a little bit more
> work. But the code as it stands on Win32 will give you GMT on startup
> unless you specify a TZ in postgresql.conf. On Unix, it goes with the OS
> timezone.

I'd better test that on AIX where they like to use "CUT0" as the
default timezone instead of UTC or GMT.

We ran into "some entertainment" when we first installed on AIX
because of that; PG code that would normally properly interpret a UNIX
timestamp threw up when it got the "CUT" zone...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html