Обсуждение: pg_dump and INCREMENT BY

pg_dump and INCREMENT BY

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
In 7.4 there is an optional BY that are allowed in the definiton of
sequences:

CREATE [ TEMPORARY | TEMP ] SEQUENCE namn [ INCREMENT [ BY ] ökning ]   [ MINVALUE minvärde | NO MINVALUE ] [ MAXVALUE
maxvärde| NO MAXVALUE ]   [ START [ WITH ] start ] [ CACHE cache ] [ [ NO ] CYCLE ]

(some swedish strings there, but still readable for you)

pg_dump uses this optional keyword BY which seems like a bad idea if one
wants to import it into a 7.3 database. Use the 7.3 dump you might say,
but since BY does not do anything why not remove it from the dump output?

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: pg_dump and INCREMENT BY

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

Replying to myself here :-)

> wants to import it into a 7.3 database. Use the 7.3 dump you might say,
> but since BY does not do anything why not remove it from the dump output?

I just realized there is yet another new construct in 7.4. The sequences
are created with NO MAXVALUE (and MINVALUE). Couldn't these just be
removed in the pg_dump output in this case. It's the default anyway,
right.

I just imported a fairly big dump from a 7.4 database into a 7.3 database
and the sequences was the only thing I had to change. Of course the
database in itself was designed on 7.3 so it didn't use any 7.4 features.

It's not a big issue, it's just that it seems simple to dump SQL code (for
sequences) that work the same on both 7.4 and older, not just 7.4.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: pg_dump and INCREMENT BY

Дата:
Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:
> I just realized there is yet another new construct in 7.4. The sequences
> are created with NO MAXVALUE (and MINVALUE). Couldn't these just be
> removed in the pg_dump output in this case. It's the default anyway,
> right.

IIRC, these changes were to bring the syntax in line with the SQL200x
spec, and thus possibly improve compatibility with other databases.
I'm not eager to revert them.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump and INCREMENT BY

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
>
> Replying to myself here :-)
>
> > wants to import it into a 7.3 database. Use the 7.3 dump you might say,
> > but since BY does not do anything why not remove it from the dump output?
>
> I just realized there is yet another new construct in 7.4. The sequences
> are created with NO MAXVALUE (and MINVALUE). Couldn't these just be
> removed in the pg_dump output in this case. It's the default anyway,
> right.
>
> I just imported a fairly big dump from a 7.4 database into a 7.3 database
> and the sequences was the only thing I had to change. Of course the
> database in itself was designed on 7.3 so it didn't use any 7.4 features.
>
> It's not a big issue, it's just that it seems simple to dump SQL code (for
> sequences) that work the same on both 7.4 and older, not just 7.4.

Maybe a switch to set the destination version would be a good compromise?