Обсуждение: Thread safe connection-name mapping in ECPG. Is it required?

Thread safe connection-name mapping in ECPG. Is it required?

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
Hi all,

I was just going thr. the ecpg sources checking for thread safety.

It looks like the mutex protects the connections list in connection.c. I do
not like that from a application developers perspective.

If I am developing an application and using multiple connections in multiple
threads, I have to store a connection name for each connection as C string.
Of course, I also have to protect it across thread so that I can rightly tell
ecpg what connection I would be talking to next.

If an application can take care of a C string, it can also take care of a
connection structure. On top of it, it eliminates the list lookup. The
potential performance gain could be worth it if there are hundreds of
connections and a busy website/application server.

What I wonder is, do we really need to maintain that level of lookup? Can't we
just say a connection is a 'struct connection *' which should be opaque and
should not be touched or poked inside, just like PGConn.

Just a thought...
Shridhar

Re: Thread safe connection-name mapping in ECPG. Is it required?

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:27:40PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> It looks like the mutex protects the connections list in connection.c. I do
> not like that from a application developers perspective.
>
> If I am developing an application and using multiple connections in multiple
> threads, I have to store a connection name for each connection as C string.
> Of course, I also have to protect it across thread so that I can rightly tell
> ecpg what connection I would be talking to next.
>
> If an application can take care of a C string, it can also take care of a
> connection structure. On top of it, it eliminates the list lookup. The
> potential performance gain could be worth it if there are hundreds of
> connections and a busy website/application server.
>
> What I wonder is, do we really need to maintain that level of lookup? Can't we
> just say a connection is a 'struct connection *' which should be opaque and
> should not be touched or poked inside, just like PGConn.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. The SQL standard says you can
call your statement as this:
exec sql at CONNECTION select 1;

Here CONNECTION of course is a string, the name of the connection. So,
yes, we have to maintain that list to make sure we get the right
connection.

Or what were you asking?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De

Re: Thread safe connection-name mapping in ECPG. Is it required?

От
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD"
Дата:
> I'm not sure I understand you correctly. The SQL standard says you can
> call your statement as this:
> exec sql at CONNECTION select 1;
>
> Here CONNECTION of course is a string, the name of the connection. So,
> yes, we have to maintain that list to make sure we get the right
> connection.

I thought the main problem was an "exec sql set connection :hostvar",
where hostvar is a string determined at runtime. Else above could be translated at
precompile time to anything more efficient than a string search.

Oh, just noticed above is not standard, but sure is very useful.

Andreas

Re: Thread safe connection-name mapping in ECPG. Is it

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:27:40PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>>What I wonder is, do we really need to maintain that level of lookup? Can't we
>>just say a connection is a 'struct connection *' which should be opaque and
>>should not be touched or poked inside, just like PGConn.
> I'm not sure I understand you correctly. The SQL standard says you can
> call your statement as this:
> exec sql at CONNECTION select 1;
>
> Here CONNECTION of course is a string, the name of the connection. So,
> yes, we have to maintain that list to make sure we get the right
> connection.
>
> Or what were you asking?

I am asking for CONNECTION being a variable of data type 'connection *' rather
than 'const char *'. That would avoid name lookups.

Is that out of spec?
 Shridhar