Обсуждение: Make length(char(n)) return 'true' length

Make length(char(n)) return 'true' length

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
The attached patch changes the existing behaviour of length(char(n)).
Currently, this is what happens:

template1=# select length('blah'::char(10));length
--------    10
(1 row)

With this patch:

template1=# select length('blah'::char(10));length
--------     4
(1 row)

This behaviour was proposed by Tom back in November last year. (I have
tried to handle multibyte correctly but probably haven't -- hence my email
hackers instead of patches).

The spec doesn't give us any insight (as far as I can tell) as to how we
should do it length(char(n)), but the above seems consistent with other
parts of the code (eg, comparison functions, concatenation).

SQL200X has these choice paragraphs for those who are interested:
        <length expression> returns the length of a given character string,        as an exact numeric value, in
charactersor octets according to the        choice of function.

And:
        the result is the number of explicit or implicit             <char length units> in <char length expression>,
countedin             accordance with the definition of those units in the relevant             normatively referenced
document.

I have no idea what the 'normatively referenced document' is, but grep-ing
through all of SQL200X, 99 and 92 didn't reveal anything too interesting.

Gavin

Re: Make length(char(n)) return 'true' length

Дата:
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> The attached patch changes the existing behaviour of length(char(n)).

Applied, with some simplifications (there wasn't any particular need to
make a temporary copy of the string).

I also added some documentation stating that trailing spaces are
semantically insignificant in char(n), which I believe is now generally
true (have we missed any places?).  There didn't seem to be any place to
specifically mention length() in this connection.

Interestingly, our regression tests did not detect this change of
behavior.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Make length(char(n)) return 'true' length

Дата:
Looks good to me but I will get some other eyse on it before I apply it.

Gavin Sherry wrote:
> The attached patch changes the existing behaviour of length(char(n)).
> Currently, this is what happens:
>
> template1=# select length('blah'::char(10));
>  length
> --------
>      10
> (1 row)
>
> With this patch:
>
> template1=# select length('blah'::char(10));
>  length
> --------
>       4
> (1 row)
>
> This behaviour was proposed by Tom back in November last year. (I have
> tried to handle multibyte correctly but probably haven't -- hence my email
> hackers instead of patches).
>
> The spec doesn't give us any insight (as far as I can tell) as to how we
> should do it length(char(n)), but the above seems consistent with other
> parts of the code (eg, comparison functions, concatenation).
>
> SQL200X has these choice paragraphs for those who are interested:
>
>          <length expression> returns the length of a given character string,
>          as an exact numeric value, in characters or octets according to the
>          choice of function.
>
> And:
>
>             the result is the number of explicit or implicit
>               <char length units> in <char length expression>, counted in
>               accordance with the definition of those units in the relevant
>               normatively referenced document.
>
> I have no idea what the 'normatively referenced document' is, but grep-ing
> through all of SQL200X, 99 and 92 didn't reveal anything too interesting.
>

> Gavin

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Make length(char(n)) return 'true' length

Дата:
> Looks good to me but I will get some other eyse on it before I apply it.

It's in already ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Make length(char(n)) return 'true' length

Дата:
Already applied.  Thanks.

Gavin Sherry wrote:
> The attached patch changes the existing behaviour of length(char(n)).
> Currently, this is what happens:
>
> template1=# select length('blah'::char(10));
>  length
> --------
>      10
> (1 row)
>
> With this patch:
>
> template1=# select length('blah'::char(10));
>  length
> --------
>       4
> (1 row)
>
> This behaviour was proposed by Tom back in November last year. (I have
> tried to handle multibyte correctly but probably haven't -- hence my email
> hackers instead of patches).
>
> The spec doesn't give us any insight (as far as I can tell) as to how we
> should do it length(char(n)), but the above seems consistent with other
> parts of the code (eg, comparison functions, concatenation).
>
> SQL200X has these choice paragraphs for those who are interested:
>
>          <length expression> returns the length of a given character string,
>          as an exact numeric value, in characters or octets according to the
>          choice of function.
>
> And:
>
>             the result is the number of explicit or implicit
>               <char length units> in <char length expression>, counted in
>               accordance with the definition of those units in the relevant
>               normatively referenced document.
>
> I have no idea what the 'normatively referenced document' is, but grep-ing
> through all of SQL200X, 99 and 92 didn't reveal anything too interesting.
>

> Gavin

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Make length(char(n)) return 'true' length

Дата:
Gavin Sherry wrote:
> I believe Tom applied this while you were away.

Oh, sorry, I see it now:
test=> select length('blah'::char(10)); length--------      4(1 row)

I did test this before placing it the queue, but I now realize I have
been testing regression installs, not command-line installs that I invoke
via psql manually.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Make length(char(n)) return 'true' length

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата: