Обсуждение: ALTER SEQUENCE enchancement

ALTER SEQUENCE enchancement

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Hi,

Is there demand for this syntax:

ALTER SEQUENCE ON table(col) CYCLE 100;

It would allow us to become sequence-name independent...

Chris

Re: ALTER SEQUENCE enchancement

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Is there demand for this syntax:
>
> ALTER SEQUENCE ON table(col) CYCLE 100;
>
> It would allow us to become sequence-name independent...

The above is an operation that would not help me a lot, but a way of
performing currval() without knowing the sequence name would be good.

--
/Dennis

Re: ALTER SEQUENCE enchancement

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>Is there demand for this syntax:
>>
>>ALTER SEQUENCE ON table(col) CYCLE 100;
>>
>>It would allow us to become sequence-name independent...
>

> The above is an operation that would not help me a lot, but a way of
> performing currval() without knowing the sequence name would be good.

It will help in cases such as the 7.3-7.4 upgrade where a few of my
sequence names will get renamed because they maxed out at 32 characters...

I'll see about versions of currval() and nextval() that are sequence
name independent as well...

Chris

Re: ALTER SEQUENCE enchancement

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 01:07, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there demand for this syntax:
>
> ALTER SEQUENCE ON table(col) CYCLE 100;
>
> It would allow us to become sequence-name independent...

I think the right approach to this problem would be to implement
IDENTITIES and GENERATORS per 2k3 spec -- almost what you show here.

Check DB2 docs for examples.

Re: ALTER SEQUENCE enchancement

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
> Is there demand for this syntax:
>
> ALTER SEQUENCE ON table(col) CYCLE 100;

What if the values in a column are generated via a sequence that was
created independently -- i.e. it's not a SERIAL column?

I'm not very enthusiastic about features that assume a one-to-one
mapping between sequences and columns; in general, the mapping is
many-to-many.

-Neil

Re: ALTER SEQUENCE enchancement

От