Обсуждение: static pg_dump

static pg_dump

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Hey guys,

Is there any way we could build a static version of the 7.4 pg_dump, to
make it easy to dump existing databases using the 7.4 dump?  Otherwise,
it's quite difficult to arrange to have two different postgres
installations, etc...

Chris

Re: static pg_dump

Дата:
> Is there any way we could build a static version of the 7.4 pg_dump, to
> make it easy to dump existing databases using the 7.4 dump?  Otherwise,
> it's quite difficult to arrange to have two different postgres
> installations, etc...

Why?  There should be no problem installing both 7.3 and 7.4 libpq.so
--- if they don't have different version numbers, something's wrong.
        regards, tom lane

Re: static pg_dump

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > Is there any way we could build a static version of the 7.4 pg_dump, to
> > make it easy to dump existing databases using the 7.4 dump?  Otherwise,
> > it's quite difficult to arrange to have two different postgres
> > installations, etc...
>
> Why?  There should be no problem installing both 7.3 and 7.4 libpq.so
> --- if they don't have different version numbers, something's wrong.

libpq? I thought only the minor version number changed. On linux that means
you can only usefully have one installed at once, the older one would never be
used. I think on other OSes the older one might be used sometimes.

In any case, can't 7.3 pg_dump use the 7.4 libpq?
If not then the major version should be bumped.

--
greg

Re: static pg_dump

Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > > Is there any way we could build a static version of the 7.4 pg_dump, to
> > > make it easy to dump existing databases using the 7.4 dump?  Otherwise,
> > > it's quite difficult to arrange to have two different postgres
> > > installations, etc...
> >
> > Why?  There should be no problem installing both 7.3 and 7.4 libpq.so
> > --- if they don't have different version numbers, something's wrong.
>
> libpq? I thought only the minor version number changed. On linux that means
> you can only usefully have one installed at once, the older one would never be
> used. I think on other OSes the older one might be used sometimes.
>
> In any case, can't 7.3 pg_dump use the 7.4 libpq?
> If not then the major version should be bumped.

7.4 pg_dump should be able to use 7.3's libpq --- the API has not
changed, so we didn't bump the major number.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: static pg_dump

Дата:
> 7.4 pg_dump should be able to use 7.3's libpq --- the API has not
> changed, so we didn't bump the major number.

No, the other way 'round.  7.3 pg_dump or psql would work with a 7.4
libpq.so, but I don't believe 7.4 pg_dump or psql would work with a
7.3 libpq.so.
        regards, tom lane

Re: static pg_dump

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> In any case, can't 7.3 pg_dump use the 7.4 libpq?
> If not then the major version should be bumped.

My point being that I would like to actually preserve my cluster
settings and stuff when dumping...

So it's pg_dump, not libpq, that's important to me.

Chris