Обсуждение: *sigh*

*sigh*

От
Thomas Zehetbauer
Дата:
psql cannot \i a file which name contains a blank character. Why doesn't
it take the rest of the command line as the name of the file?!? Why
doesn't it use any of the standard command line parsing libraries which
respect "quoting" and \e\s\c\a\p\i\n\g?!? psql \i even does autocomplete
to the file name it fails to load...

Also will the BUG which causes postgresql to execute a sequential scan
when using min()/max()/count() ever be fixed? min()/max() can be
rewritten as SELECT $column ORDER BY $column ASC/DESC LIMIT 1 but this
should be done by the database, NOT by the user!

Tom

Re: *sigh*

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Thomas Zehetbauer writes:

> psql cannot \i a file which name contains a blank character.

\i 'blah blah blah'

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: *sigh*

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Thomas Zehetbauer <thomasz@hostmaster.org> writes:

> Also will the BUG which causes postgresql to execute a sequential scan
> when using min()/max()/count() ever be fixed? min()/max() can be
> rewritten as SELECT $column ORDER BY $column ASC/DESC LIMIT 1 but this
> should be done by the database, NOT by the user!

First of all, you should take COUNT() out of that list. While MIN/MAX could be
implemented to take advantage of indexes like "DISTINCT ON" (however it's much
more complex than your rewrite indicates), COUNT() *cannot* be done that way.

Nobody is currently working on this or planning to work on this soon. So no,
at least currently it appears this issue will not be changed. Postgresql is
open source and this is the hackers mailing list. Feel free to contribute a
patch.

--
greg

Re: *sigh*

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:

>Thomas Zehetbauer <thomasz@hostmaster.org> writes:
>

>>Also will the BUG which causes postgresql to execute a sequential scan
>>when using min()/max()/count() ever be fixed? min()/max() can be
>>rewritten as SELECT $column ORDER BY $column ASC/DESC LIMIT 1 but this
>>should be done by the database, NOT by the user!

I would add that this is not a bug as much as a feature request. count()
works. It may not be as feature
filled as we would like (e.g; it won't use an index)  but it does work.

>Nobody is currently working on this or planning to work on this soon. So no,
>at least currently it appears this issue will not be changed. Postgresql is
>open source and this is the hackers mailing list. Feel free to contribute a
>patch.

Personally I think there are greater things that need to be patched
versus count(). As you can implement
procedures on your own to deliver faster counts.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: *sigh*

От
Greg Stark
Дата:

> Greg Stark wrote:
>
> >Thomas Zehetbauer <thomasz@hostmaster.org> writes:
> >

> >>Also will the BUG which causes postgresql to execute a sequential scan
> >>when using min()/max()/count() ever be fixed? min()/max() can be
> >>rewritten as SELECT $column ORDER BY $column ASC/DESC LIMIT 1 but this
> >>should be done by the database, NOT by the user!
> >>

> I would add that this is not a bug as much as a feature request. count() works.
> It may not be as feature
> filled as we would like (e.g; it won't use an index)  but it does work.

count will use an index just fine where it's useful. If you say "select
count(*) where foo = ?" and there's an index on foo it will use the index. If
there's a partial index that helps with that clause it'll consider that too.

You're thinking of min/max. min/max can use an index to avoid traversing all
of the table. count(*) has to see all the rows to count them.

To optimize count effectively would require a very powerful materalized view
infrastructure with incremental updates. Something I don't believe any
database has, and that I doubt postgres will get any time soon.

You can implement it with triggers, which would be effectively equivalent to
what mysql does, but then you would be introducing a massive point of
contention and deadlocks.

--
greg

Re: *sigh*

От
Randolf Richardson
Дата:
[sNip]
>> I would add that this is not a bug as much as a feature request.
>> count() works. It may not be as feature
>> filled as we would like (e.g; it won't use an index)  but it does work.
>
> count will use an index just fine where it's useful. If you say "select
> count(*) where foo = ?" and there's an index on foo it will use the
> index. If there's a partial index that helps with that clause it'll
> consider that too.
>
> You're thinking of min/max. min/max can use an index to avoid traversing
> all of the table. count(*) has to see all the rows to count them.
>
> To optimize count effectively would require a very powerful materalized
> view infrastructure with incremental updates. Something I don't believe
> any database has, and that I doubt postgres will get any time soon.
>
> You can implement it with triggers, which would be effectively
> equivalent to what mysql does, but then you would be introducing a
> massive point of contention and deadlocks.
       What about adding a "total number of rows" value to the internal
header of each table which gets incremented/decremented after each row is
INSERT/DELETE has been committed.  This way, a generic "count(*)" by itself
could simply return this value without any delay at all.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.

Re: *sigh*

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> writes:

>         What about adding a "total number of rows" value to the internal
> header of each table which gets incremented/decremented after each row is
> INSERT/DELETE has been committed.  This way, a generic "count(*)" by itself
> could simply return this value without any delay at all.

Because different sessions have a (validly) different concept of what
that number should be, due to MVCC.

-Doug

Re: *sigh*

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
Doug McNaught wrote:
> Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> writes:
>

>>        What about adding a "total number of rows" value to the internal
>>header of each table which gets incremented/decremented after each row is
>>INSERT/DELETE has been committed.  This way, a generic "count(*)" by itself
>>could simply return this value without any delay at all.
>

> Because different sessions have a (validly) different concept of what
> that number should be, due to MVCC.

The count(*) information can be revisioned too, am I wrong ? I'm able to
create a trigger that store the count(*) information in a special table,
why not implement the same in a way "builded in" ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: *sigh*

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Doug McNaught wrote:

>> Because different sessions have a (validly) different concept of what
>> that number should be, due to MVCC.
>
> The count(*) information can be revisioned too, am I wrong ? I'm able to
> create a trigger that store the count(*) information in a special table,
> why not implement the same in a way "builded in" ?

This has been discussed extensively before (last time was a few months
ago); please search the archives if you're curious.

-Doug

Re: *sigh*

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Oops! mendola@bigfoot.com (Gaetano Mendola) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> Doug McNaught wrote:
>> Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> writes:
>>
>>>        What about adding a "total number of rows" value to the
>>> internal header of each table which gets incremented/decremented
>>> after each row is INSERT/DELETE has been committed.  This way, a
>>> generic "count(*)" by itself could simply return this value without
>>> any delay at all.
>> Because different sessions have a (validly) different concept of what
>> that number should be, due to MVCC.
>
> The count(*) information can be revisioned too, am I wrong ? I'm able to
> create a trigger that store the count(*) information in a special table,
> why not implement the same in a way "builded in" ?

You could do this; the cost would be pretty high, as there would be an
extra table update done every time rows were inserted or deleted.
Doing it on _every_ table would be a heavy overhead that is not
worthwhile.

What might make sense would be to set up triggers to do this on those
large tables where you frequently need COUNT(*).
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lisp.html

Re: *sigh*

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> writes:

> The count(*) information can be revisioned too, am I wrong ? I'm able to
> create a trigger that store the count(*) information in a special table,
> why not implement the same in a way "builded in" ?

Then every insert or delete would have to lock that count. Nobody else would
be able to insert or delete any records until you either commit or roll back.

That would lead to much lower concurrency, much more contention for locks, and
tons of deadlocks.

--
greg

Re: *sigh*

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> wrote:
>>> The count(*) information can be revisioned too, am I wrong ? I'm able
>>> to create a trigger that store the count(*) information in a special
>>> table, why not implement the same in a way "builded in" ?
>>
>> Then every insert or delete would have to lock that count. Nobody else
>> would be able to insert or delete any records until you either commit or
>> roll back.
>>
>> That would lead to much lower concurrency, much more contention for
>> locks, and tons of deadlocks.
>
>         What about queueing all these updates for a separate
> low-priority thread?  The thread would be the only one with access
> to update this field.

If updates are "queued," then how do you get to use them if the
"update thread" isn't running because it's not high enough in
priority?

I am not being facetious.

The one way that is expected to be successful would be to have a
trigger that, upon seeing an insert of 5 rows to table "ABC", puts,
into table "count_detail", something like:
 insert into count_detail (table, value) values ('ABC', 5);

You then replace select count(*) from abc;

with select sum(value) from count_detail where table = 'ABC';

The "low priority" thread would be a process that does something akin
to vacuuming, where it would replace the contents of the table every
so often...
for curr_table in (select table from count_detail) do  new_total = select sum(value) from count_detail
wheretable = curr_table;  delete from count_detail where table = curr_table;  insert into count_detail (table, value)
values(curr_table,                                                  new_total);done

The point of this being to try to keep the number of rows to 1 per
table.

Note that this gets _real_ expensive for tables that see lots of
single row inserts and deletes.  There isn't a cheaper way that will
actually account for the true numbers of records that have been
committed.

For a small table, it will be cheaper to walk through and calculate
count(*) directly from the tuples themselves.

The situation where it may be worthwhile to do this is a table which
is rather large (thus count(*) is expensive) where there is some
special reason to truly care how many rows there are in the table.
For _most_ tables, it seems unlikely that this will be true.  For
_most_ tables, it is absolutely not worth the cost of tracking the
information.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html

Re: *sigh*

От
Mark Kirkwood
How about:

Implement a function "estimated_count" that can be used instead of
"count". It could use something like the algorithm in
src/backend/commands/analyze.c to get a reasonably accurate psuedo count
quickly.

The advantage of this approach is that "count" still means (exact)count
(for your xact snapshot anyway). Then the situation becomes:

Want a fast count? - use estimated_count(*)
Want an exact count - use count(*)

regards

Mark

Christopher Browne wrote:

>For a small table, it will be cheaper to walk through and calculate
>count(*) directly from the tuples themselves.
>
>The situation where it may be worthwhile to do this is a table which
>is rather large (thus count(*) is expensive) where there is some
>special reason to truly care how many rows there are in the table.
>For _most_ tables, it seems unlikely that this will be true.  For
>_most_ tables, it is absolutely not worth the cost of tracking the
>information.

Re: *sigh*

От
Christoph Haller
Дата:
Fairly good idea IMHO, especially considering Christopher's point
about the unlikeliness of needing an exact count anyway.

Regards, Christoph

> How about:
>
> Implement a function "estimated_count" that can be used instead of
> "count". It could use something like the algorithm in
> src/backend/commands/analyze.c to get a reasonably accurate psuedo count
> quickly.
>
> The advantage of this approach is that "count" still means (exact)count
> (for your xact snapshot anyway). Then the situation becomes:
>
> Want a fast count? - use estimated_count(*)
> Want an exact count - use count(*)
>
> regards
>
> Mark
>
> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
> >For a small table, it will be cheaper to walk through and calculate
> >count(*) directly from the tuples themselves.
> >
> >The situation where it may be worthwhile to do this is a table which
> >is rather large (thus count(*) is expensive) where there is some
> >special reason to truly care how many rows there are in the table.
> >For _most_ tables, it seems unlikely that this will be true.  For
> >_most_ tables, it is absolutely not worth the cost of tracking the
> >information.

Re: *sigh*

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Wednesday 03 December 2003 13:59, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> How about:
>
> Implement a function "estimated_count" that can be used instead of
> "count". It could use something like the algorithm in
> src/backend/commands/analyze.c to get a reasonably accurate psuedo count
> quickly.
>
> The advantage of this approach is that "count" still means (exact)count
> (for your xact snapshot anyway). Then the situation becomes:
>
> Want a fast count? - use estimated_count(*)
> Want an exact count - use count(*)

Something like select reltuples from pg_class where relname='foo'?
Shridhar

Re: *sigh*

От
Randolf Richardson
Дата:
>> The count(*) information can be revisioned too, am I wrong ? I'm able
>> to create a trigger that store the count(*) information in a special
>> table, why not implement the same in a way "builded in" ?
>
> Then every insert or delete would have to lock that count. Nobody else
> would be able to insert or delete any records until you either commit or
> roll back.
>
> That would lead to much lower concurrency, much more contention for
> locks, and tons of deadlocks.
       What about queueing all these updates for a separate low-priority
thread?  The thread would be the only one with access to update this field.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.

Re: *sigh*

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

>Something like select reltuples from pg_class where relname='foo'?
>
> Shridhar

[chuckles] - I had envisaged something more accurate that the last
ANALYZE, "estimate_count" would effectively *do* acquire_sample_rows()
then and there for you...

regards

Mark

Re: *sigh*

От
Randolf Richardson
Дата:
"Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org>" wrote in
comp.databases.postgresql.hackers:

> Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca>
> wrote:
[sNip]
>>          What about queueing all these updates for a separate
>> low-priority thread?  The thread would be the only one with access
>> to update this field.
>
> If updates are "queued," then how do you get to use them if the
> "update thread" isn't running because it's not high enough in
> priority?
       That would be an administration issue.  This background process would
need to have enough priority in order for this to be functional, yet could
also be completely disabled by administrators who know their systems don't
need to use "count(*)" at all.
       Also, if the thread was well-designed, then it could combine all the
queued entries for a single table first in order to reduce disk I/O when
updating each table.

> I am not being facetious.
       Oh, I see that.  Don't worry, I know better than to take things
personally on newsgroups -- go ahead and be blunt if you like.  =D

> The one way that is expected to be successful would be to have a
> trigger that, upon seeing an insert of 5 rows to table "ABC", puts,
> into table "count_detail", something like:
>
>   insert into count_detail (table, value) values ('ABC', 5);
>
> You then replace
>   select count(*) from abc;
>
> with
>   select sum(value) from count_detail where table = 'ABC';
>
> The "low priority" thread would be a process that does something akin
> to vacuuming, where it would replace the contents of the table every
> so often...
>
>  for curr_table in (select table from count_detail) do
>    new_total = select sum(value) from count_detail
>                   where table = curr_table;
>    delete from count_detail where table = curr_table;
>    insert into count_detail (table, value) values (curr_table,
>                                                    new_total);
>  done
>
> The point of this being to try to keep the number of rows to 1 per
> table.
       Interesting.  A different way of solving the same problem, but
wouldn't it require more disk I/O on the table being updated then a
separate tracker would?

> Note that this gets _real_ expensive for tables that see lots of
> single row inserts and deletes.  There isn't a cheaper way that will
> actually account for the true numbers of records that have been
> committed.
>
> For a small table, it will be cheaper to walk through and calculate
> count(*) directly from the tuples themselves.
>
> The situation where it may be worthwhile to do this is a table which
> is rather large (thus count(*) is expensive) where there is some
> special reason to truly care how many rows there are in the table.
> For _most_ tables, it seems unlikely that this will be true.  For
> _most_ tables, it is absolutely not worth the cost of tracking the
> information.
       Ah, but that's the point -- do we truly care how many rows are in the
table, or is the purpose of "count(*)" to just give us a general idea?
       This statistic would be delayed because it's being updated by a
background process, thus "count" won't always be accurate, but at least it
won't be slow -- it could be the fastest "count" in the industry!  =)

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.

Re: *sigh*

От
Randolf Richardson
Дата:
"markir@paradise.net.nz (Mark Kirkwood)" wrote in
comp.databases.postgresql.hackers:

[sNip]
> How about:
>
> Implement a function "estimated_count" that can be used instead of
> "count". It could use something like the algorithm in
> src/backend/commands/analyze.c to get a reasonably accurate psuedo count
> quickly.
>
> The advantage of this approach is that "count" still means (exact)count
> (for your xact snapshot anyway). Then the situation becomes:
>
> Want a fast count? - use estimated_count(*)
> Want an exact count - use count(*)
       I think this is an excellent solution.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.

COPY TABLE TO

От
"Paul Punett"
Дата:
Hi,

I need to write a tab separated text file such that the first row contains
number of records in the table.
I insert first row with '0' (zero) as first column & rest columns NULL.
Then at the end of writing records to table I do a select into Variable
count(*) from table.
& update the first record with the count returned.
Unfortunately after the update the first row becomes the last row & hence
COPY TO FileName sends the count as the last record.

I need count as the first record? Any suggestions please ?
The documentation says indexing does not affect copy order.

I am developing on C++ with PostGre on windows. I need to port to Linux
later. Any suggestions on linking C++ code to PostGre (queries & functions)

Thanks
Paul

Re: COPY TABLE TO

От
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen"
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:35:08AM -0000, Paul Punett wrote:

> I need to write a tab separated text file such that the first row contains
> number of records in the table.

Whether COPY does what you want may depend on what you want to do with
special characters.  If your table contains strings with strange
characters like newline, tab, non-ASCII characters etc. then COPY will
replace them by escape sequences.  I guess in most cases you won't
have any problems with this, but it's a thing to keep in mind.

> I need count as the first record? Any suggestions please ?
> The documentation says indexing does not affect copy order.

Rather than tricking COPY into generating your file format, you may
want to use COPY TO STDOUT and do some processing on the lines you
get from that.

> I am developing on C++ with PostGre on windows. I need to port to Linux
> later. Any suggestions on linking C++ code to PostGre (queries & functions)

Try libpqxx (http://pqxx.tk/).  Use the tablereader class to read raw
lines from your table and write them to your file.  Something like this
should do the trick:
 connection c(myoptions); transaction<serializable> t(c); result count = t.exec("select count(*) from " + mytable);
myfile<< count[0][0] << endl; tablereader reader(t, mytable); string line; while (reader.get_raw_line(line)) myfile <<
line<< endl;

This may be a bit slower than a direct COPY because the data has to go
through your program rather than directly to the file, but it gives you
more control over the file's format.

(I used a serializable transaction here because otherwise rows may be
added or deleted by somebody else at just the wrong moment, e.g. after
the count but before we read the table)

Jeroen

PS - It's Postgres or PostgreSQL, not PostGre!

Re: COPY TABLE TO

Дата:
"Paul Punett" <paul.punett@shazamteam.com> writes:
> I need count as the first record? Any suggestions please ?

SQL does not guarantee any particular ordering of rows in a table.
You cannot do what you're doing and expect it to be reliable.

You could do something like this: add a sequence-number column to your
table and then do "SELECT ... ORDER BY seqno" to extract the data in
a controlled order.
        regards, tom lane

Re: COPY TABLE TO

От
"Paulo Scardine"
Дата:
SELECT x, y
(SELECT 1 AS ord, COUNT(*) as x, NULL AS y FROM tablexUNIONSELECT 2, x, y FROM tablex)

May be you will have to do some explicit casting depending on the field
types.

--
Paulo Scardine

> I need to write a tab separated text file such that the first row contains
> number of records in the table.
> I insert first row with '0' (zero) as first column & rest columns NULL.
> Then at the end of writing records to table I do a select into Variable
> count(*) from table.
> & update the first record with the count returned.
> Unfortunately after the update the first row becomes the last row & hence
> COPY TO FileName sends the count as the last record.
>
> I need count as the first record? Any suggestions please ?
> The documentation says indexing does not affect copy order.
>
> I am developing on C++ with PostGre on windows. I need to port to Linux
> later. Any suggestions on linking C++ code to PostGre (queries &
functions)

> Thanks
> Paul

Re: *sigh*

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
*growl* - it sounds like the business...and I was all set to code it,
however after delving into Pg's aggregation structure a bit, it suffers
a fatal flaw :

There appears to be no way to avoid visiting every row when defining an
aggregate (even if you do nothing on each one) -- which defeats the
whole point of my suggestion (i.e avoiding the visit to every row)

To make the original idea work requires amending the definition of Pg
aggregates to introduce "fake" aggregates that don't actually get
evaulated for every row. At this point I am not sure if this sort of
modification is possible or reasonable - others who know feel free to
chip in :-)

regards

Mark

Randolf Richardson wrote:

>"markir@paradise.net.nz (Mark Kirkwood)" wrote in
>comp.databases.postgresql.hackers:
>
>[sNip]
>

>>How about:
>>
>>Implement a function "estimated_count" that can be used instead of
>>"count". It could use something like the algorithm in
>>src/backend/commands/analyze.c to get a reasonably accurate psuedo count
>>quickly.
>>
>>The advantage of this approach is that "count" still means (exact)count
>>(for your xact snapshot anyway). Then the situation becomes:
>>
>>Want a fast count? - use estimated_count(*)
>>Want an exact count - use count(*)
>>

>        I think this is an excellent solution.

Re: *sigh*

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Could certainly do that - a scalar function that returns reltuples from
pg_class. I was hoping to do 2 additional things:

i) provide better accuracy than the last ANALYZE
ii) make it behave like an aggregate

So I wanted to be able to use estimated_count as you would use count, i.e:

SELECT estimated_count() FROM rel

returns 1 row, whereas the scalar function :

SELECT estimated_count(rel) FROM rel

returns the result as many times as there are rows in rel - of course
you would use

SELECT estimated_count(rel)

but hopefully you see what I mean!

BTW, the scalar function is pretty simple to achieve - here is a basic
example that ignores schema qualifiers:

CREATE FUNCTION estimated_count(text) RETURNS real AS '
SELECT reltuples FROM pg_class WHERE relname = $1;
' LANGUAGE SQL;

cheers

Mark

Simon Riggs wrote:

>Why not implement estimated_count as a dictionary lookup, directly using
>the value recorded there by the analyze? That would be the easiest way
>to reuse existing code and give you access to many previously calculated
>values.

Re: *sigh*

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
Can I chip in? I've had a look in the past at the way various databases
perform this. Most just go and read the data, though Informix does seem
to keep a permanent record of the number of rows in a table...which
probably adds overhead you don't really want.

Select count(*) could be evaluated against any available index
sub-tables, since all that is required is to count the rows. That would
be significantly faster than a full file scan and accurate too. You'd
simply count the pointers, after evaluating any WHERE clause against the
indexed col values - so it won't work except for fairly simple
count(*)'s.

Why not implement estimated_count as a dictionary lookup, directly using
the value recorded there by the analyze? That would be the easiest way
to reuse existing code and give you access to many previously calculated
values.

This whole area is a major performance improver, with lots of
cross-overs with the materialized view sub-project.

Could you say a little more about why you wanted to achieve this?

Best Regards

Simon Riggs
2nd Quadrant
+44-7900-255520

Randolf Richardson wrote:

>"markir@paradise.net.nz (Mark Kirkwood)" wrote in
>comp.databases.postgresql.hackers:
>
>[sNip]
>

>>How about:
>>
>>Implement a function "estimated_count" that can be used instead of
>>"count". It could use something like the algorithm in
>>src/backend/commands/analyze.c to get a reasonably accurate psuedo
count
>>quickly.
>>
>>The advantage of this approach is that "count" still means
(exact)count
>>(for your xact snapshot anyway). Then the situation becomes:
>>
>>Want a fast count? - use estimated_count(*)
>>Want an exact count - use count(*)
>>

>        I think this is an excellent solution.

Re: *sigh*

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Select count(*) could be evaluated against any available index
> sub-tables, since all that is required is to count the rows. That would
> be significantly faster than a full file scan and accurate too.

PostgreSQL stores MVCC information in heap tuples only, so index-only
plans such as you're suggesting can't be used (i.e. we need to check
the heap tuple to see if a particular index entry is visible to the
current transaction).

-Neil