Обсуждение: Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
Can we modify pg_dumpall (or pg_dump?) to include a \pset pager off
to prevent the setval() calls from halting an interactive \i of the dump
file?

Thanks,
LER

Re: Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

Дата:
Larry Rosenman wrote:
> Can we modify pg_dumpall (or pg_dump?) to include a \pset pager off
> to prevent the setval() calls from halting an interactive \i of the dump
> file?

Your pg_dump's actually invoke the pager?  Are you manually starting
psql, then doing \i dumpfile?  Why would you do that rather than psql
template1 <dumpfile?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Can we modify pg_dumpall (or pg_dump?) to include a \pset pager off
> > to prevent the setval() calls from halting an interactive \i of the dump
> > file?
>
> Your pg_dump's actually invoke the pager?  Are you manually starting
> psql, then doing \i dumpfile?  Why would you do that rather than psql
> template1 <dumpfile?
Because I'm a dork :-).

Seriously, sometimes it's useful.

LER

Re: Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

Дата:
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>> Can we modify pg_dumpall (or pg_dump?) to include a \pset pager off
>>> to prevent the setval() calls from halting an interactive \i of the dump
>>> file?
>>
>> Your pg_dump's actually invoke the pager?

> Seriously, sometimes it's useful.

Are you using any nonstandard settings in ~/.psqlrc?  I've never seen
this happen myself.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> > Your pg_dump's actually invoke the pager?  Are you manually starting
> > psql, then doing \i dumpfile?  Why would you do that rather than psql
> > template1 <dumpfile?
> Because I'm a dork :-).
>
> Seriously, sometimes it's useful.

The most useful reason (and I wish you could turn it on with psql < file) is
the line number in the file where any errors occur.

(TODO item?)

Chris

--On Monday, August 11, 2003 20:36:11 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
>>>
>>> Your pg_dump's actually invoke the pager?
>
>> Seriously, sometimes it's useful.
>
> Are you using any nonstandard settings in ~/.psqlrc?  I've never seen
> this happen myself.
Nope.  There is no .psqlrc.

It seems to be new with 7.4cvs. (dunno about earlier 7.4), but it definitely
did NOT happen with 7.3.x

LER

>             regards, tom lane

Re: Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

Дата:
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> Nope.  There is no .psqlrc.

> It seems to be new with 7.4cvs. (dunno about earlier 7.4), but it definitely
> did NOT happen with 7.3.x

Hmph.  There have been some changes in 7.4 psql's pager support, but I
can't see anything there that looks like it would cause this.  And it
(still) doesn't happen on my machine.  Would you trace through
PageOutput and see why it's deciding to use the pager for short output?
        regards, tom lane

--On Tuesday, August 12, 2003 09:30:39 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
>> Nope.  There is no .psqlrc.
>
>> It seems to be new with 7.4cvs. (dunno about earlier 7.4), but it
>> definitely did NOT happen with 7.3.x
>
> Hmph.  There have been some changes in 7.4 psql's pager support, but I
> can't see anything there that looks like it would cause this.  And it
> (still) doesn't happen on my machine.  Would you trace through
> PageOutput and see why it's deciding to use the pager for short output?
seems to do it for ANY SRF, if that helps any.

I.E. \d, and show all;.

LER

>             regards, tom lane

Re: Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:

> The most useful reason (and I wish you could turn it on with psql < file) is
> the line number in the file where any errors occur.

psql -f file will do that.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Change Request: \pset pager off in pg_dumpall

Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
>> It seems to be new with 7.4cvs. (dunno about earlier 7.4), but it definitely
>> did NOT happen with 7.3.x

> Hmph.  There have been some changes in 7.4 psql's pager support, but I
> can't see anything there that looks like it would cause this.

Turns out someone moved PageOutput() from one file to another, and
didn't move all the supporting #includes.  On your machine, TIOCGWINSZ
was coming up undefined, thus disabling the check for does-output-fit-
on-a-page.
        regards, tom lane